Mean Gene

Old Fat Guy
Oct 27, 2013
Ennis, Montana
Name
Gene
Boat
The Searcher
We'll be headed to Ennis, Montana the first of April, as soon as the RV park opens, and we'll be building our new permanent residence this summer. Have not done any tying to restock my fly boxes this winter and figured I'd best get on the stick so I'm ready when we show up. Starting on a pheasant tail variation we slammed them with all last summer. Figure I'll start with tying 50 of these in purple and then move to 50 of them in natural. My wife and I can not wait until our place is built and we are there for the long haul.

Start of Purple.jpg

Hellosugaree

Sep 6, 2019
San Francisco
Name
Timbo
Boat
13' Boston Whaler
Super buggy looking. You inspired me to get back on the bench this weekend.

I did a trip to missoula this past summer with my wife and dad and I tied everything for the whole trip for 3 people. It was a ton of work but super satisfying. It was also the first chance I had to use any of the flies I tied since I just started tying right before we booked the flight.

If you're bored and looking for something to mess around with, try some of these. They take like 30 seconds to tie and they were getting slammed as a dropper. They get down super fast since they're so sparsely tied. Use whatever you want for tailing then just yellow thread for the back and black thread up top with a little strip of mylar on the back and coat it with your favorite clear coat (I used nail polish, but UV goop would be ideal if you have it).

Seems like a lot of times less is more. These and a super basic pheasant tail were the most productive.

Have fun out there.

20200124_201510.jpg

Reactions: kbray001

BiggestT

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 8, 2004
Fullerton
Name
SM
Boat
Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
We'll be headed to Ennis, Montana the first of April, as soon as the RV park opens, and we'll be building our new permanent residence this summer. Have not done any tying to restock my fly boxes this winter and figured I'd best get on the stick so I'm ready when we show up. Starting on a pheasant tail variation we slammed them with all last summer. Figure I'll start with tying 50 of these in purple and then move to 50 of them in natural. My wife and I can not wait until our place is built and we are there for the long haul.

View attachment 1107862
Are you ready for the winters on that side of the divide?

Mean Gene

Old Fat Guy
Oct 27, 2013
Ennis, Montana
Name
Gene
Boat
The Searcher
Are you ready for the winters on that side of the divide?

My wife is from Minnesota. We lived for almost 30 years in NE California. I've spent most winters hunting ducks on the river in single digit temperatures. Ennis averages only 12 degrees colder than Yreka and gets half as much snow per year as Mount Shasta City, and even less again than McCloud where I spent several winters working driving fire engines. When we left California we went to NE South Dakota...Ennis is the Bahamas compared to that. In McCloud I've had 6 feet of snow in the back yard. In our new house my wife will have a 19' x 16' quilting and sewing room. In my shop I'll have two 15' x 15' heated decoy carving and painting rooms. I'm retired, so I don't HAVE to go anywhere outside if I don't want to. There will be a 4x4 tractor with a bucket and backhoe living at our house. Insulation in the walls and floor of the new house will be spray foam and R48 in the attic. We'll have both forced air and a wood stove for heat (already have 1/2 logging truck load of wood on the ground) and a back up generator for just in case. Wife's car is all wheel drive with mud/snow tires. My RAM is 4x4 with limited slip differentials and has a winch for just in case.

So what do you think...am I ready for winter?

Not everybody who leaves California is a pussy when it comes to winter.

Reactions: kbray001 and tuner

Mean Gene

Old Fat Guy
Oct 27, 2013
Ennis, Montana
Name
Gene
Boat
The Searcher
Super buggy looking. You inspired me to get back on the bench this weekend.

I did a trip to missoula this past summer with my wife and dad and I tied everything for the whole trip for 3 people. It was a ton of work but super satisfying. It was also the first chance I had to use any of the flies I tied since I just started tying right before we booked the flight.

If you're bored and looking for something to mess around with, try some of these. They take like 30 seconds to tie and they were getting slammed as a dropper. They get down super fast since they're so sparsely tied. Use whatever you want for tailing then just yellow thread for the back and black thread up top with a little strip of mylar on the back and coat it with your favorite clear coat (I used nail polish, but UV goop would be ideal if you have it).

Seems like a lot of times less is more. These and a super basic pheasant tail were the most productive.

Have fun out there.

View attachment 1107894

Nice. I think I will definitely make up some of those and give them a go. Let me know if you're coming back up and we'll get together.

Kman

Apr 7, 2003
So Cal
Name
Kurt
Boat
Robalo R180 Trailer Trash
Congrats on your California exodus. We are looking at North Idaho. Remember, it takes much longer to get things done up there as contractors are on “Montana time”, meaning they show up when they want to—if at all.

BiggestT

Sep 8, 2004
Fullerton
Name
SM
Boat
Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
I'm retired, so I don't HAVE to go anywhere outside if I don't want to.
That’s all you had to say and I get it.

We’re over in Stevensville, MT. Happy to meet up anytime.

Bob Sands

BOB SANDS TACKLE
Advertiser
Feb 26, 2011
Van Nuys, Ca USA
bobsandsfishingtackle.com
Name
Jamie
Boat
#1 Tackle Shop
Though Your in Ennis, If you are willing to take the drive over to Missoula, I highly recommend booking a trip or 10 with John or Kurt Herzer out of Blackfoot River Outfitters... If you want something different on a sunny day take a sight fishing trip with them to Georgetown Lake in July... This is an absolute must do even though you have pristine rivers... GTL is special as it becomes more of a salt water flats type trip in a fresh water like.

You can fish trout and Pike on the Lower Clark. Big fish on the Blackfoot. and so many more as you know.. Nobody does it Herzer style like they do... Blackfoot River Outfitters is the premier outfitter in most all of Montana... It sounds like you all are going to be very happy in Montana...

I look forward to hearing amazing stories from the Mad... Big River Big Trout... Have a great season.

Jamie

tuner

pysgotwyr
May 24, 2006
Huntington Beach
Name
Steve
Boat
260 Mackinaw
That sounds like a dream relocation to me. We are still thinking Kenai area but staying in the lower 48 is appealing.

Heatmaster75

Jul 20, 2019
Montana
Name
Rather Be Fishing
Boat
Harbercraft
Hey Gene!
Todd here from over in Hamilton, aka igo4dux75 on the 'fuge. Glad to hear your getting the new digs started over in Ennis. If you ever want to go pitch streamers at pike and smallies from the boat over on the west side, just let me know!
Not much of a bug chucker myself, and I normally fish from the back of the boat anyways, which means the bow is open! You're welcome to come along anytime, and weekdays work for me most weeks. Just give me a little heads up and I'll make it work!
Been meaning to hit you up about your long range trips too, getting ready to set up a 1st trip myself.
Sounds like your almost a full time resident! Winter has been pretty mild this year, was 50+ degrees here the other day. Lots of snow up high though.
Hope all is well!!

Reactions: Bob Sands

Mean Gene

Old Fat Guy
Oct 27, 2013
Ennis, Montana
Name
Gene
Boat
The Searcher
Congrats on your California exodus. We are looking at North Idaho. Remember, it takes much longer to get things done up there as contractors are on “Montana time”, meaning they show up when they want to—if at all.
Yep. We do have an excellent contractor we're working with. In fact he called me this morning and we went over a bunch of stuff. Guy does excellent work, and he'll be one of our neighbors too.

Mean Gene

Old Fat Guy
Oct 27, 2013
Ennis, Montana
Name
Gene
Boat
The Searcher
That’s all you had to say and I get it.

We’re over in Stevensville, MT. Happy to meet up anytime.

Wasn't trying to be argumentative, sorry if it seemed that way. I can not keep track of the people we know who keep asking us if we're "ready for that winter". LOL! We were in your neck of the woods this last summer at the Hard Times Bluegrass Festival. Hoping to be back there again this year, but we'll have to see how the house building goes. You live in a beautiful area for sure.

Mean Gene

Old Fat Guy
Oct 27, 2013
Ennis, Montana
Name
Gene
Boat
The Searcher
Though Your in Ennis, If you are willing to take the drive over to Missoula, I highly recommend booking a trip or 10 with John or Kurt Herzer out of Blackfoot River Outfitters... If you want something different on a sunny day take a sight fishing trip with them to Georgetown Lake in July... This is an absolute must do even though you have pristine rivers... GTL is special as it becomes more of a salt water flats type trip in a fresh water like.

You can fish trout and Pike on the Lower Clark. Big fish on the Blackfoot. and so many more as you know.. Nobody does it Herzer style like they do... Blackfoot River Outfitters is the premier outfitter in most all of Montana... It sounds like you all are going to be very happy in Montana...

I look forward to hearing amazing stories from the Mad... Big River Big Trout... Have a great season.

Jamie

I will check them out, thanks. I am definitely interested in fishing Georgetown. Thought about hitting it last summer, just didn't make it that far. We love Montana for sure. We pulled the RV into the park in Ennis 3 years ago and it's never moved since. We just fit in over there with everyone we've met. I hear horror stories about people moving from California to wherever, and then working to change it to what they left, and I get that. Nice about us is we don't want anything changed. Nothing. My wife and I HATE big cities. Ennis has only 850 residents, adequate shopping, is only an hour away from Bozeman if we want bigger shopping like Costco, etc. What we've found there is the people don't care where you came from, they care about how you are once you arrive. Well, we've been there a big portion of three years, have made lots of friends, and have not made any enemies, so we must be doing something right. This last summer my wife started volunteering one day a week at the local second hand store and will continue doing that. We both plan on joining the Lions Club now that we'll be full time. One thing we're thrilled with in Ennis is it has a movie theater. They have one movie a week and it plays Fri/Sat evenings at 7:15 and Sun afternoon at 4:00. We can get our two senior discount tickets, a bag of popcorn, a soda and a bag of peanut M&M's for $19.50, and that's something we can afford. LOL!

Mean Gene

Old Fat Guy
Oct 27, 2013
Ennis, Montana
Name
Gene
Boat
The Searcher
Hey Gene!
Todd here from over in Hamilton, aka igo4dux75 on the 'fuge. Glad to hear your getting the new digs started over in Ennis. If you ever want to go pitch streamers at pike and smallies from the boat over on the west side, just let me know!
Not much of a bug chucker myself, and I normally fish from the back of the boat anyways, which means the bow is open! You're welcome to come along anytime, and weekdays work for me most weeks. Just give me a little heads up and I'll make it work!
Been meaning to hit you up about your long range trips too, getting ready to set up a 1st trip myself.
Sounds like your almost a full time resident! Winter has been pretty mild this year, was 50+ degrees here the other day. Lots of snow up high though.
Hope all is well!!

Buddy I'm all over that! I have never in my life caught a pike and would dearly love to. In now way do I HAVE to fly fish to enjoy my day. I have zero issues chucking lures of bait at fish to get them to bite. Our goal is to have a freezer full of deer. elk, ducks, geese, walleye, pike and perch and never have to buy an ounce of meat from the store, unless of course we want to splurge on a big juicy steak. If you want to team up to go on a long range trip I'd be up for that. I would like to do a trip a year and it would sure be nice to have someone I know to go with.

Mean Gene

Old Fat Guy
Oct 27, 2013
Ennis, Montana
Name
Gene
Boat
The Searcher
Additionally, for anyone out there on this board, we'll have a spare room at our new place and the intent is to have that open for friends, family, or travelers at all times. We're getting the chance to build our dream house and we are more than willing to share it with others.

Heatmaster75

Jul 20, 2019
Montana
Name
Rather Be Fishing
Boat
Harbercraft
Buddy I'm all over that! I have never in my life caught a pike and would dearly love to. In now way do I HAVE to fly fish to enjoy my day. I have zero issues chucking lures of bait at fish to get them to bite. Our goal is to have a freezer full of deer. elk, ducks, geese, walleye, pike and perch and never have to buy an ounce of meat from the store, unless of course we want to splurge on a big juicy steak. If you want to team up to go on a long range trip I'd be up for that. I would like to do a trip a year and it would sure be nice to have someone I know to go with.
Standing invite Bud! Pretty reliably good fishing once high water blows mostly through, till about mid October.

I am working on pulling off a fall 2021 LR trip for my first! The Big Boss told me no way this year, I took her to Loreto Baja last November, and she pronounced we're going back for two weeks around Christmas 2020!

I'll bounce you an email.

BiggestT

Sep 8, 2004
Fullerton
Name
SM
Boat
Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
Wasn't trying to be argumentative, sorry if it seemed that way. I can not keep track of the people we know who keep asking us if we're "ready for that winter". LOL! We were in your neck of the woods this last summer at the Hard Times Bluegrass Festival. Hoping to be back there again this year, but we'll have to see how the house building goes. You live in a beautiful area for sure.
I did not take it as argumentative, but yeah, sounds like you’ve been asked the question a lot. We always tell people that snow sucks if you have to commute to work in it, but when you’re retired and don’t have to do anything, it’s beautiful.

Reactions: Mean Gene