Rodless_Jim

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 3, 2008
Mexico, DF, Mexico
Name
Jim
Boat
Strictly a Rider
Just reading where these coming El Nino storms may cause mseas of up to 10, even 15 feet. Has weather ever kept the long range boats from leaving the harbor? It must have, on occasion, so to rephrase, how often have we seen that?

JohnTFT

Insomniac
Feb 11, 2007
The "718"
Name
John
Boat
A big Steel One
Jim - We had to delay our departure one year for several hours waiting for the swell to let up.

Even after waiting one LR boat got sideways in the swell. We were next to leave. It was a scary sight to see.

Reactions: Rodless_Jim

T.O.T.W.

Time On The Water
Dec 23, 2005
San Diego
Name
Chris L
Boat
Leo's
It's happened occasionally in SD bay. Far more frequently in Mission Bay before they dredged the entrance. I had some hairy rides in and out of there in the late nineties. I never had to do it, but every now and then the MB boats had to run in to SD Bay and offload passengers because the waves were breaking all the way across both jetties.
I remember only one or two times that there was no passage in the big bay, though...
Here's to safe transit in 2016!

LUCKY DAVE

Jan 19, 2007
Leucadia
Name
Ralph Kramden the Invincible
Boat
60' Hatteras sportfish
I own a 60' Hatteras Sportfisher. I've had her out in some truly heinous seas, (like 30' and breaking) and been plenty uncomfortable, but she's never scared me. Having been on board various long range boats in some pretty shitty conditions over the last 25 years, I don't think they much, if any, less seaworthy. A well found blue water boat can take more than the crew.
I think it's more a matter of the liability involved. If the captain willfully leaves port in a storm when he doesn't have to and one of the passengers gets hurt falling down or the boat sustains enough damage ($$) to require reporting the incident, the CG and the insurance company are going to ream him.

reelconcerned

Jun 12, 2011
Santa Rosa, CA
Name
Paul
Boat
n/a
Jim; I know what your saying about the rough water, particularly starting on the trip. I usually like the smooth ride ( most of the time) riding down to the fishing grounds, gives you time to gear up in pleasant weather and get acquainted with previous anglers and make new ones.

Rodless_Jim

Apr 3, 2008
Mexico, DF, Mexico
Name
Jim
Boat
Strictly a Rider
Jim; I know what your saying about the rough water, particularly starting on the trip. I usually like the smooth ride ( most of the time) riding down to the fishing grounds, gives you time to gear up in pleasant weather and get acquainted with previous anglers and make new ones.
Paul, in this instance I am really only thinking about actually escaping the harbor. If the wind sets in the wrong direction, it can be dangerous as Hell just getting past the breakwater. But for a Harbor Like Point Loma, it would have to be a really bad-ass swell, with a strong wind in the wrong quarter. I've never seen it, but I am guessing (as JohnTFT confirms) it has happened a few times.

I agree, having smooth weather on the ride down is a huge bonus. Huge. Especially since much of the time we end up fighting our way back home.

Rodless_Jim

Apr 3, 2008
Mexico, DF, Mexico
Name
Jim
Boat
Strictly a Rider
Yes, I am. I thought I had mentioned it to you. My "family obligation" changed dates quite suddenly, and as a result, a window of opportunity apoened up for me. At short notice, I decided to join some friends who are on the Excel's Ultra Limited Load II, a 15-day trip leaving February 1st.

Like you I prefer a longer trip, 16 or 17 days is better, but I will do a 15 in a pinch, and this one looks like the right trip at the right time. Right now we only have 17 signed up, which ,makes for plenty of space at Excel's rail.

We'll fish together again, Paul, maybe next year. I wish you awesome luck on your trip this time...like you need it.

reelconcerned

Jun 12, 2011
Santa Rosa, CA
Name
Paul
Boat
n/a
Now that I think of it I do remember you telling me, limited load 18? anglers, SWEET!!!. You to have a great trip, I'll follow your trip on the excel web site...Paul

albacore11

Member Intrepid 200# Club
May 19, 2006
Crowley Lake, CA
Name
Christopher
Boat
Gone but not forgotten
Never experienced an issue out of Pt Loma, but I was on a trip out of Seaforth that was diverted upon return to harbor.

titan05

Pelagic Terminator
Apr 7, 2004
San Diego North County
Name
Jim
Boat
Chelsea Rae
Fasten your seatbelt.......its an adventure

south swell is more head on but this time of year with a big west or northwest swell wrapping the point.....that can get dicey for sure

Statistico

Statistition
Jan 23, 2007
San Diego
Name
Joe
Boat
None
We sat it out for 9 hours with Sam Patella around 2008 (early Feb) and finally left the harbor around 11 pm. We watched the Super Bowl game at the bait barges using rabbit ears that electrician/captain Brian Kiyohara rigged. At 7 am the next morning it was still very nasty!

Last edited:

LTBOLTMAN

Team Tail Chasers
Oct 15, 2006
San Diego
Name
Leoman
Boat
Davis Bahia 25 Pilot House
last year during some stormy weather I saw waves breaking out past Zuniga jetty just to the south of it; I had never seen waves breaking in that area, and only saw it because I was up at Cabrillo monument...made me appreciate staying in the center of the channel if I ever encountered bad stuff on the way back in

Rodless_Jim

Apr 3, 2008
Mexico, DF, Mexico
Name
Jim
Boat
Strictly a Rider
Damn!!! Looks like we're going to have some big wind a-blowin' on Monday. I suspect we might not even leave the harbor until Tuesday now, though it will be the boat that makes that determination.

I feel like I jinxed us...

backlashjack

Scallywag
May 14, 2007
Alta Loma, CA
Name
Jackson
Boat
Sold the boat, now I just rent a stateroom on the EXCEL
Big wind and even bigger swells. Get sea sick in the harbor. barf

I heard 15 to 18 meter swells...WTF

vegasandre

Aug 20, 2010
San Diego
Name
Andre
Boat
Any Boat that I can go on
There will be 8-20 foot wnw swells and 20-40 knot winds. However the largest swells are expected to be mid period and for most part wil be a following sea and will begin subsiding during the day. Worst will be sunday night.

edited to say : safety first. I am sure the Excel will do the right thing.

Last edited: