Getting back in it!!

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by joshua cunningham, Jul 29, 2015.

1. gb58

gb58 Member

Name:
    greg braun
    Boat:
    none
    January for yellowtail is a crap shoot and depends on the year. Late May or June 5-8 day is the way to go. Yellows are almost always at Benitos or Cedros that time of year

joshua cunningham likes this.
  2. DMcD

DMcD Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Dennis McDougall
    Boat:
    None
    If you haven't been out there in a while, don't feel like fishing in a crowd, and money is not (much of) a consideration, you might consider the summer or fall 5-7 day trips on the Searcher that's limited to only 14 anglers. These trips are a little more spendy than most in the 5-7 day range, but its so relaxed with only 14 folks on a 95 ft boat, its almost like going on a crew trip. Everybody's got their own private staterooms on these trips. Boat's not as luxurious as many that fish long range, but its very comfortable nonetheless. Art (skipper) and Aaron (2nd ticket) know these local-to-mid range waters just as well as anybody, and will work hard to put you on fish. Kenny, Joe, and the rest of the crew are also great. Art also just loves fishing yellowtail! Charles, in the galley, also puts out some pretty fine eats.

Just something to consider...there's lots of great options out there on lots of great boats, but I've done these trips many times, and have never been disappointed...not by the fishing (and catching) or by spending the x-tra $ to fish in such a relaxed atmosphere. Whatever you decide, have a great time!

DMcD

Tim Turis and joshua cunningham like this.
  3. joshua cunningham

joshua cunningham Fresh One!!

Name:
    Josh
    Boat:
    Excel, Polaris Supreme
    would a calstar 700h fit that reel well?

4. backlashjack

backlashjack Scallywag

Name:
    Jackson
    Boat:
    Sold the boat, now I just rent a stateroom on the EXCEL
    I have limited out on YT every time I have fished with Justin Fleck. EVERY TIME.
    If you're thinking about the EXCEL, do it, you will not be disappointed.

5. joshua cunningham

joshua cunningham Fresh One!!

Name:
    Josh
    Boat:
    Excel, Polaris Supreme
    I was looking at the 5 day okuma reel sponsor trip in august or the seeker rod 5 day in june... what are your suggestions? for time of year.. The wife already gave the thumbs up to the excel!!

6. backlashjack

backlashjack Scallywag

Name:
    Jackson
    Boat:
    Sold the boat, now I just rent a stateroom on the EXCEL
    Flip a coin, you probably can't go wrong with either. August may provide more opportunities at more variety

7. chamackO

chamackO Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    none
    Head to Fred Hall and talk to the different boats. Tell them you want to focus on yellowtail and they'll point you to the right trip. The trips sponsored by jig companies in the late spring/early summer tend to focus more on yellowtail at the Islands. Summer trips will be offshore and maybe you get kelp paddy yellowtail/mahi.

8. Anglewood

Anglewood Up to no good...

Name:
    Connor
    Boat:
    Intrepid, New Del Mar
    Excellent match for that reel. I personally have an Okuma Mak 10IISEa on my 700H, but wouldn't hesitate to use the Fathom 25NLD2 or 30NLD2 in its place.

-Connor