Getting a Seagull Tangled in Your Line - Why do You Hurt the Bird?

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by 5-20, Jan 23, 2019.

1. 5-20

5-20 Poseidon Group's Back Up Trident Thrower

Name:
    5-20
    Boat:
    L2 Fish
    I went out on a recent trip. Not going to name any names here, but I was next to a guy that got his line tangled in a seagull. He brought it in. One of the deckhands grabbed the seagull really hard by the neck, kind of harder than he really needed to, but you know, obviously you don't want to get pecked.

Since the deckhand had his hands full with the bird, I helped free the line from the bird. After I was done, I thought I'd see the deckhand throw the bird back into the air.

What I saw was kinda sad. He just kinda folded the bird's neck in half and just kinda squeezed the life out of that bird and then threw it back in the water.

Why? This isn't the first time I've seen either a deckhand or an angler on a sportboat try to intentionally hurt or kill a bird that got tangled up in a line instead of just handling it carefully and freeing it safely.

It's just really bizarre to me. Seagulls and so many of those other birds on the water are our friends. They've helped us find the fish so many times. Why not just try to release the bird peacefully and get some good karma in return when those birds help us find a giant school of yellowtail or tuna later on.

Three or four months ago I actually spent about 30 minutes trying to free a giant heron that flew into my line when I was bank fishing at Dana Landing. Its leg got tangled up in my topwater and it had two trebles in its leg. I couldn't have done it by myself. I spent about 15-20 minutes waiting for someone to help me. Three guys that had just pulled their boat out of the water completely ignored me and wouldn't even help me. Finally someone walked over and held my rod so I could work with the bird. Couldn't believe how hard my heart was beating as I was trying to free these trebles from its leg, kept on hoping it wouldn't peck one of my eyes out. I finally got both trebles free and I felt pretty good knowing that I helped the bird live. It wouldn't have lived if I had done the easiest thing and just cut the bait off.

I just don't really get it. Its literally nothing to take a couple of minutes to grab a seagull and free your line from it and let it fly off none worse for the wear.

2. sdfishkiller

sdfishkiller Cod Smuggler

Name:
    Todd Mora
    Boat:
    19' Whaler: EL SUPER LIZARDFISH
    100% agree. It's the cowards way.

titos334 and InDeepShip like this.
  3. Hismosa

Hismosa I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Glenn
    Boat:
    20' Skipjack
    Are you sure he wasn't trying to do the trick where it puts the bird into a frozen stage by pinning the head under the wing?

ssrmr2, Blackfish and CartridgeCalls like this.
  4. DennisV

DennisV Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Dennis Vagt
    Boat:
    Just a NuCanoe Frontier now.
    You have to have a faulty brain to do something like that.

5. 5-20

5-20 Poseidon Group's Back Up Trident Thrower

Name:
    5-20
    Boat:
    L2 Fish
    The seagull couldn’t fly off after being thrown into the water. It’s head was twitching and it was pretty much convulsing. It was really hurt bad and I couldn’t look at it very long.

Like I said, it’s not the first time. It’s happened several times.

6. swami 805

swami 805 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    sunk it
    That is fucked up and I'm sure we've all seen it at one time or another. I'd bet most on here have freed their fair share of tangled birds.

CartridgeCalls likes this.
  7. Whalebreath

Whalebreath Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Carl Z
    Boat:
    Anyone who would intentionally hurt an animal is capable of doing the same to humans.

8. Lipripper#1504

Lipripper#1504 Contact 4 discount bungee

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    Nope
    You need to take a video of stuff like that if you see it.

9. MikeyLikesIt

MikeyLikesIt did you say F I S H I N G ???

Name:
    starts with an "M".....
    Boat:
    #1 boat scrubber - Team Madrugador
    that is a damn shame....poor bird was just doing what sea-birds do. maybe a good smack upside the head would have been justified? (not the bird)

Knives, terryc., Tim Turis and 4 others like this.
  10. strackle99

strackle99 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Todd
    Boat:
    The one on the fish
    That is messed up.

He checked the first box for 'Future Serial Killer'

11. mike mitchell

mike mitchell Member

Name:
    Michael Mitchell
    Boat:
    20 Bertram
    How do you call out bad behavior on a fishing trip? Go to the captain? Confront the offender? Personally, I say something quiet a little later , no tip and don't go back!

12. InDeepShip

InDeepShip Ah ship

Name:
    Adam
    Boat:
    In my Dream's
    I've seen a deckhand do this. I spoke with the capt and he said it was the birds fault. That was the last time I fished that boat.

13. MATTANZA

MATTANZA old man of the sea, in training.

Name:
    RICK
    Boat:
    Boston Whaler 25' Outrage "MATTANZA II", 34' Radovcich "AMY ANNE" {when it needs to be fixed}
    I've seen much worse, and just kept my mouth shut. there are real psychos out there.

Bottom Line, mrkrabs and strackle99 like this.
  14. ripped

ripped I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    gary
    Boat:
    Vagabond
    Years ago I had a conversation with a well seasoned Deckhand about this subject. He told me that amongst his peers there was an understanding in the belief that If you killed too much, you come back as a sardine..

15. Brad I

Brad I Common Sense Isn't Common Enough

Name:
    Brad I
    Boat:
    Nope
    I agree with all the prior comments, but add that if no one speaks up (to the deckhand, to the captain or even to the landing), the deckhand will think its ok and do it again.

I've never seen such a thing, but doubt that I could be quiet if I did.

Blackfish and DMcD like this.
  16. SaltH20Angler

SaltH20Angler Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Christopher
    Boat:
    Not Yet
    I agree as well, there is no excuse for this type of behavior unless its a sea lion. Ok, its not cool to hurt sealions either, but I hate 'em.

In all seriousness, thank you for writing this post. This type of behavior continues when others look the other way. That said, If you are gonna say something, say it all. What boat was this on and which deckhand did it?

This type of shit reminds me of behavior of a bully (hurting people/animals that dont/cant fight back). 99.9% of bullies are cowards. When I see bully behavior, I try to check those pussies as hard as I can, right then and right there, preferably in front of other people. At least they will think twice next time.

I've never seen this happen, but I have caught a bunch of pelicans, comorants, and seagulls. I reel them in as fast as possible, grab them by the body, pinch the beak, get the pliers and pull the hook. Even when I do this it looks pretty painful for the bird. Once free, let the bird fly away, there is no need to hurt it before letting it go free.

Ok, rant over. Thanks again for the post.

17. mrkrabs

mrkrabs I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Marty
    Boat:
    Lard ass
  18. wils

wils lazy-ass well known "member"

Name:
    bill
    Boat:
    I hate boats
    How many little fishies did you lure out of their homes - away from their families - and intentionally & brutally KILL? Did you quickly kill them with your knife? or did you simply dump them into a sack so that you wouldn't have to watch them die --- so very slowly ---- of fishie asphyxiation.
    Were you fishing with bait? live or otherwise? How many of THOSE little fishies and squidlies were YOU responsible for killing? or causing to be killed?
    Did you have a garden burger for lunch? Or was it 100% pure dead steer? Have you ever seen how that steer is killed? Have you ever seen the "studies" of the "carbon footprint" of just one quarter-pounder?
    Were you fishing near the stern? Did you smell all of that Global Warming - causing diesel fumes?
    And you do know that when you pee'd and pooped on board, your pee and poop will wind up untreated in the waters your seagulls live and play and raise their little seagullings in?

Oh yeeeee of glass houses...…..

Johnlgarrison, dalurker and Hismosa like this.
  19. Phat Boat

Phat Boat I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jon
    Boat:
    Grady White Marlin 300
    Are we sure he wasnt doing the sleep thing mentioned earlier? Ive seen
    Deckhands do that and it doesnt kill or maim the bird, just confuses it. Either way be kind and let them go unharmed.

CartridgeCalls likes this.
  20. One_Leg

One_Leg Ret. Comm. Diver/Medic

Name:
    Alan
    Boat:
    1967 Cobia Cuddy Cabin/Evinrude Looper
    If you turn an alligator or shark upside down it will take a beauty nap.
    Same thing for birds and dinosaurs.

Johnny B likes this.