Getting a new motor. Any idea wheres the best place?

Jun 4, 2017
hesperia
Name
aaron
Boat
none yet
So I'm new to boat ownership and got off to a bad start. Rookie mistake of leaving the drain plug out, wondered why it wouldn't float off of the trailer :(. lol . but figured it out and got it out on the water. Started to overheat, so I shut her off. Check the oil and it had turned greyish compared to previously clean. Took to shop to get oil change and all other maintenance. The shop took 2 month saying they couldn't get the oil out. But they did change my impellers that were in good shape with a cost more than initial quoted, because of there hassle trying to get the oil out. So I just wanted my boat back to take somewhere else>without inspecting I took it home and motor was in pieces F%#$ and Ive been overseas for the last 3 months. So its had filthy oil in it and not put together for the last 5 months. Thinking ill just get a fresh reman motor installed.

Here's the main part of this post if you skipped through the first part. My original motor is a 5.7 merc/ Carb (1997-98) where is the best place to buy reman motors? Should I order one online and have shop install or are there any reputable shops that could supply and install. I live in Victorville and ill never go back to Range rv's marine shop! I should have known better than to take my boat to a rv place. But now I'm accepting the fact that ill have to drive for some quality work. Ive clled advanced marine and they seem pretty legit. Any other suggestions based on experience?

ps. before you take anything to range rv in Victorville, id google it. Someone actually created a website in regards to how bad they are called www.rangervsucks.com lol wish I would have seen that first. I guess they completely destroyed someone's rv. I'm going to see if godaddy has rangervblows.com still available but I'm thinking it might be taken :(

Thanks,
NewGuy

Topazy

Jan 30, 2018
UA
Name
Jasin Swift
Boat
Rampage 31
We use Jasper engines and transmissions in our EMS shop. Mostly diesels but a few LT 1s for our 9C1 Caprices and they are fine with few issues and a solid warranty. !If it is already in I wouldnt worry about it...
So its good one...Atlest for me.:-)
-Topazy.

Last edited:
Reactions: hookenthemlips

kindafishy

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jul 21, 2010
hemet/ca/riverside
Name
SCOTT
Boat
bayliner cierra express 2452 "RYLEE'S WAVE RYDER"
why not find a good machine shop and rebuild yours?
the trouble with engine builders like jasper or michigan motors is if something goes wrong most want you to ship the engine back to them for inspection and repair if its under warranty. read those warranties very carefully theres alot of fine print in there. i prefer to have somebody i can look in the eyes when dealing with them.
i had a "383 quench build" built last time from a guy in lake elsinore. hes retired now but did a great job and and its now a completely different boat.

Jun 4, 2017
hesperia
Name
aaron
Boat
none yet
the trouble with engine builders like jasper or michigan motors is if something goes wrong most want you to ship the engine back to them for inspection and repair if its under warranty. read those warranties very carefully theres alot of fine print in there. i prefer to have somebody i can look in the eyes when dealing with them.
i had a "383 quench build" built last time from a guy in lake elsinore. hes retired now but did a great job and and its now a completely different boat.

That’s the other idea I’ve been contemplating but not sure if it would save that much more money. I was thinking if I had everything pretty much brand new I’d be better off and know that it’s done right. But once I find a good shop I’ll forsure ask what a rebuild consists of and how much of a price difference. Seems that 5k for remain installed is average price I’m seeing

Jun 4, 2017
hesperia
Name
aaron
Boat
none yet

And yeah the warranty thing is my biggest concern. Basically void if something happens because the cost to take out and ship back to manufacturer would probably be more than the cost to pay to fix whatever issue

kindafishy

Jul 21, 2010
hemet/ca/riverside
Name
SCOTT
Boat
i had about 4500 in the rebuild. removing and replacing is not a big deal. also just a suggestion....if you dont have it already this is a great time to add a full freshwater cooling system. once done you'll never buy manifolds again, just elbows.

Jun 4, 2017
hesperia
Name
aaron
Boat
none yet
i had about 4500 in the rebuild. removing and replacing is not a big deal. also just a suggestion....if you dont have it already this is a great time to add a full freshwater cooling system. once done you'll never buy manifolds again, just elbows.

Sweet that’s what I’m hoping to pay. That’d be perfect ! Hopefully I can get something around that price. And man your reading my mind! I wanted to get the fresh water cooling and just started my research on that. Thought it’d be super expensive. Where’d you get yours rebuilt? Or did you do it yourself?

kindafishy

Jul 21, 2010
hemet/ca/riverside
Name
SCOTT
Boat
the guy that rebuilt mine has retired and moved to colorado. you need to find a shop that is familar with marine engines. not a street motor guy.....2 different animals.

dennis moores book on building small block marine engines will give you the confidence to ask potential builders the right questions. or if you like i can find my build sheet, with the parts used on mine. if its in your budget the additional stroke of the 383 made a huge difference in my boat.

Jun 4, 2017
hesperia
Name
aaron
Boat
none yet
the guy that rebuilt mine has retired and moved to colorado. you need to find a shop that is familar with marine engines. not a street motor guy.....2 different animals.

dennis moores book on building small block marine engines will give you the confidence to ask potential builders the right questions. or if you like i can find my build sheet, with the parts used on mine. if its in your budget the additional stroke of the 383 made a huge difference in my boat.

Ok yeah sorry I saw that in previous post about the guy being retired. That’s what I’m looking for is a marine specific shop, my last endeavor didn’t work out to well. Thanks for all of the info, I’ll probably check out/order that book so I can have a better understanding of marine engines, I’m sure it will help a ton to have some basic knowledge when Talking with the marine shop. I feel A bit lost at the moment when I talk with them. But 383 seems nice but everyone tells me it’s to much for my frame . But I’ll forsure look into it, and definitely the fresh water cooling system. And I don’t want to hassle you with build sheet , wouldn’t know what to do with it. Thanks again for the info!!!

Alexvi

Almost A Member
Aug 6, 2012
Santa Cruz, CA
Name
Alex
Boat
Rock Steady - Davis Rock Harbor #001
I've done 2 repowers using MichiganMortorz.com. On my the first boat, I bought a long block and transferred all the components. Second boat, I bought a complete package. Both boats are still running strong years after the repower. They also sell the San Juan Cooling systems.

Last edited:

PaDDy Killer'

I Should Upgrade My Account
May 9, 2008
Santa Clarita
Name
Patrick
Boat
Parker 2520 & 17' Whaler
Find a local guy!!! I used one of those mail order transmission companies that build the baddest trans around supposedly. Long story short I lost 6 months down and 4k. Ended up using a guy in pamona and worked great. Local is the way to go. Shipping and labor if shit don't work is no fun.

kindafishy

Jul 21, 2010
hemet/ca/riverside
Name
SCOTT
Boat
Ok yeah sorry I saw that in previous post about the guy being retired. That’s what I’m looking for is a marine specific shop, my last endeavor didn’t work out to well. Thanks for all of the info, I’ll probably check out/order that book so I can have a better understanding of marine engines, I’m sure it will help a ton to have some basic knowledge when Talking with the marine shop. I feel A bit lost at the moment when I talk with them. But 383 seems nice but everyone tells me it’s to much for my frame . But I’ll forsure look into it, and definitely the fresh water cooling system. And I don’t want to hassle you with build sheet , wouldn’t know what to do with it. Thanks again for the info!!!

the book is no longer in print, however your local library should be able to order it for you to check out. if you find it used it will be very expensive. look at the prices in the link below. a quench build will help with detonation and pinging, which will ruin the engine very quickly. this is another reason i went with the local guy, the large rebuilders did not offer a quench build, in fact they didnt know what i was talking about. that may have changed by now. i'll look for my build sheet for you, its basiclly a parts list from my

https://www.abebooks.com/book-search/title/small-block-chevy-marine-performance/author/dennis-moore/

Jun 4, 2017
hesperia
Name
aaron
Boat
none yet
Find a local guy!!! I used one of those mail order transmission companies that build the baddest trans around supposedly. Long story short I lost 6 months down and 4k. Ended up using a guy in pamona and worked great. Local is the way to go. Shipping and labor if shit don't work is no fun.

That's what I'm scared of. The shipping alone seems like a big chunck of money down the drain if something is wrong with the motor.I found a shop that seems pretty good with what seem to be fair prices. They supply and warranty the motor. "advance marine" Thanks for passing along the experience definitely helps affirm where I'm headed with this.

Jun 4, 2017
hesperia
Name
aaron
Boat
none yet
Quality Performance Marine
Best place for your needs
thanks I called them and there on my list. They are an authorized reseller/dealer for mercruiser. Prices were a little high but once I call a few more places. ill get some detailed info and a more solid price when I get home in a few weeks :) . thanks

Reactions: Offishial Business
Jun 4, 2017
hesperia
Name
aaron
Boat
none yet
the book is no longer in print, however your local library should be able to order it for you to check out. if you find it used it will be very expensive. look at the prices in the link below. a quench build will help with detonation and pinging, which will ruin the engine very quickly. this is another reason i went with the local guy, the large rebuilders did not offer a quench build, in fact they didnt know what i was talking about. that may have changed by now. i'll look for my build sheet for you, its basiclly a parts list from my

https://www.abebooks.com/book-search/title/small-block-chevy-marine-performance/author/dennis-moore/

Sorry for the late response, got pretty busy. But Thanks for all the extra info. I looked at those books and boy oh boy you weren't kidding. $300 range. I'm just going to try google searches to find as much info as I can for now. I got aew shops in mind now I'm going to ask about the quench build up. I asked one shop about getting the fresh water cooling. They said itd be about 1400 ontop of the motor swap. Thanks again for sharing all the info.

Nov 28, 2017
perris
www.OFBoutdoors.com
Name
mike tapocik
Boat
Offishial Business
Sorry for the late response, got pretty busy. But Thanks for all the extra info. I looked at those books and boy oh boy you weren't kidding. $300 range. I'm just going to try google searches to find as much info as I can for now. I got aew shops in mind now I'm going to ask about the quench build up. I asked one shop about getting the fresh water cooling. They said itd be about 1400 ontop of the motor swap. Thanks again for sharing all the info.

They can seem a little high, however the end result is better. the boat will be lake tested and double checked. so no after the fact tuning and hidden fees. also no used crap or goofy things 100% factory parts and top grade everything.