Fishrdan

3# carp VS 40# striper
Nov 10, 2005
Vegas Baby!
Name
Dan
Boat
18' Crestliner Superhawk, 14' Tracker "Fish Git' RRR"
I just got a couple big swimbaits that are pretty smelly (kind of a paint/petroleum smell) and need to clean them up. What's the best thing to cut the stinky/oily coating?

I was thinking of washing them with dish washing soap to cut the oily coating, but don't want to get soap soaked into the plastic, bad idea? What else can I use to clean smelly stuff off the plastic, that won't leave another offending odor on the lure? Oh yeah, these are painted, so I don't want to use anything that will strip off the paint

After they are cleaned up, what's a good striper attractant to slather on the swimbaits?

Thanks,
Dan

T BICKLE

super cool LA guy
Sep 27, 2007
Culver city
Name
garrett
Boat
16ft ebbtide under construction
dont worry about cleaning em... just slap some unibutter on em and call it a day

calicopro

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Nov 20, 2003
La Mesa
Visit site
Name
Larry
Boat
17' Boston Whaler Montauk.... "Chocolate Bass"
If they are the brand that I'm thinking of, then they will still get bit. Better yet do as Garrett says and hit em with an attractant such as unibutter...

Capt. G

BD Outdoors Contributor
May 25, 2007
Osaka, Japan
www.bigbait.jp
Name
Capt. G
Boat
黒潮No.2
Dan, the smelly stuff is probably the material it is made from, and will not wash off. Many of the swimbaits made in China have that horrible smell, and YES your are correct in thinking the bass and striper's do not like it

What are the baits?

If they are all soft plastic, you can remove the hooks and put in a plastic zip loc bag. Add a liberal amount of Hot Sauce to the bag, and dump your bait in. Seal.
Then put the bag, with the bait/hot sauce inside in luke warm water. This will liquefy the Hotsauce, and will actually help the HS to seep into the soft plastic material.
This will not only make the bait smell "better", but in most cases that soft plastic bait will actually swim a bit better, as the HS softens up the bait a bit. I have done this many times over the past ten years with Hot Sauce, but I have not tried it with my scent of choice today--Unibutter. I assume it would work the same, but I would try the HS first.

Fishrdan

3# carp VS 40# striper
Nov 10, 2005
Vegas Baby!
Name
Dan
Boat
Thanks guys, I like Capt G's idea. I'm heading down to BPS later today and will see what they have for attractants. First thing that popped into my head when G said hot sauce was Tapatio, hey, you never know....

These are AC Casitas swimbaits that I found on Ebay,,, couldn't pass up the price. They are made in China and look pretty well made, but I need to customize them a bit, lop off the boot tail's fin, change out hooks.

Going to be fun chucking a 10" swimbait...

I also picked up a couple Panther Martin Vivif 12" swimbaits that are molded like a mackerel and painted like a trout, still waiting to get them. The body is off from a trout, but at a 3-5MPH troll speed I don't think a striper is going to notice.

Fishrdan

3# carp VS 40# striper
Nov 10, 2005
Vegas Baby!
Name
Dan
Boat
OK sounds good, greazzzy baits it is

I tried the baits in a bag with scent, then floating in luke warm water,,, but I failed miserably as the friggin bag got a hole in it and they were swimmin in their own juices (I'll let you guys run with that one)... After pulling them out of the watered down attractant (berkley something or another, crappy selection at BPS) all I could smell was the same plasticy odor, not fishy attractant odor. I'm letting them air out in the garage for a few days in 100* temps to see if it helps bake off the stink, then try marinading them again.

? on Unibutter, what consistency is the stuff, runny like engine oil or thick like cheeze whiz, in between? The old ProCure Trout Butter I had a long time ago wouldn't work for shit on these lures since it was a thick paste, it will stick to a dry lure, but not these slimey ones. I need to mail-order what ever I get (Unibutter, HotSauce, ProCure, ?) as BPS has a pretty limited selection of attractants, 4 of the same flavor from 10 different manufacturers.

Capt. G

BD Outdoors Contributor
May 25, 2007
Osaka, Japan
www.bigbait.jp
Name
Capt. G
Boat
黒潮No.2
OK sounds good, greazzzy baits it is

I tried the baits in a bag with scent, then floating in luke warm water,,, but I failed miserably as the friggin bag got a hole in it and they were swimmin in their own juices (I'll let you guys run with that one)... After pulling them out of the watered down attractant (berkley something or another, crappy selection at BPS) all I could smell was the same plasticy odor, not fishy attractant odor. I'm letting them air out in the garage for a few days in 100* temps to see if it helps bake off the stink, then try marinading them again.

? on Unibutter, what consistency is the stuff, runny like engine oil or thick like cheeze whiz, in between? The old ProCure Trout Butter I had a long time ago wouldn't work for shit on these lures since it was a thick paste, it will stick to a dry lure, but not these slimey ones. I need to mail-order what ever I get (Unibutter, HotSauce, ProCure, ?) as BPS has a pretty limited selection of attractants, 4 of the same flavor from 10 different manufacturers.
Dan, I asked Evil E about your lure dilemma, and he said "Not my problem".
The he said he was joking, and had the answer.

He has been putting Unibutter in heavy ziploc bags, and soaking his small swimbaits. He said it soaks up the juice just like Hot Sauce, and the plastics become softer, and smell like Uni/fish.
So, I would say go with the Unibutter. It is like a paste, but if you put it in a ziploc, you should be able to liquefy it with warm tap water.

He has been killing the bass here on the soaked plastics--so I know they like the Unibutter.

Give it a try.
Void where prohibited...

1:11

WMDcustoms
Jul 28, 2005
Name
Boat
hey Dan, those huddleston knock offs i got on ebay had that odor, it was very strong. I still have several in the plastic and im sure they still stink. Of the ones i removed from the plastic airing them out has helped. I really like the idea of marinading them in hot sauce or unibutter too in hopes that it will penetrate the rubber and maybe get a follower to bite. As wiley as the stripers are in the river i can not imagine a follower taking the lure with that plastic smell.

i posed the same question a while back, got the same responses. BPS doesnt sell hot sauce or unibutter. Ive been meaning to pick up some of each, but have not yet. Id imagine that adding some fish stink to our jigs could really make a differece. If you make an order to unibutter and you wouldnt mind ordering an extra i will bring you over the cash before, so we dont pay shipping twice. let me know. lets go fishing. i got some tuna, can bring you some if you like, its sitting under dry ice now, this is good grade.

Fishrdan

3# carp VS 40# striper
Nov 10, 2005
Vegas Baby!
Name
Dan
Boat
Thanks G, Is Evil E the Unibutter guru, bait maker? After these out-gas for a few days I'm going to throw them into a bag of attractant and leave them there for a week or so to soak up the goodness.

Here's something for the peeps wondering if the plastic lure will suck up the attractant, I didn't believe it until this happened to me. Years ago I lost a Castaic trout 15' down. I knew exactly where it was so when the river dropped 10' a month later I went back to get it. The plastisol tail of the lure turned pure white with all the water it sucked up, but after drying for 2 weeks it was back to normal. So yeah, the plastic will suck up a liquid,,, and if it's a stanky liquid, it'll suck up the stanky goodness.

Fishrdan

3# carp VS 40# striper
Nov 10, 2005
Vegas Baby!
Name
Dan
Boat
Hey Jason, didn't see your post there. I don't think all stripers will be turned off by the stink as many of them are full bore into attack mode when they hammer the bait. But,,, I've had many big ones (the really big ones) take the lure lightly and slowly load up the rod when trolling, or they were watching the dead-sticked bait, and when it moved they pounced. An un-natural odor could have easily turned these big ones off.

I'm going to order some UniButter in a few days and yeah, lets combine our orders to save on the shipping. I still have to find out where I'm going to get it and how much,,, Wonder if it comes in the 5 gallon economy bucket... LOL