Gettin Jiggy Wit It

aj1976

Apr 14, 2008
kaneohe
Name
aj
Boat
23 Seacraft
Went out today on my friend's Current Line. Headed to LL and got there at about 12 noon. Small kine birds running around w/ small akus. Broke out the jigs and started hooking mice at about 120 feet deep. On the 4th drift way past the buoy my friend hooked a nice one on his spinner just beneath the boat. After a long battle and tag team effort got him in da boat, iced down, and headed home. Nice chili day it was.

Attachments

patfishhi

Sep 20, 2007
Oahu
Name
Pat
Boat
32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
Good goin' Alan,
Way to get after it on a winter day. Still waiting for a screama on the 14000fa's; that has gotta be fun.

Aloha.

Pat

dausualinc

Nov 25, 2008
Honolulu
Name
Kekoa
Boat
30' Knife
Nice Fish and even more impressive on the spinner. What kind of rod and reel set up is that?
I was wondering the same thing! That is a very nice catch no matter what gear its on. My jigging is at a 1st grade level and I want to get better at it. I got cold just looking at the picture!

aj1976

Apr 14, 2008
kaneohe
Name
aj
Boat
23 Seacraft
Nice Fish and even more impressive on the spinner. What kind of rod and reel set up is that?
My friend (the one wearing the ninja mask) was using a Spheros14000 w/ an older model trevala rod. Kind of like a noodle stick!

Nice sashimi!! Great, now he REALLY won't sell the boat. Nah, jus kidding....
Yeah really, ha ha. Its a pretty fun boat for its size. I really like the big fish box in the middle.

SASHIMI TIME! Great catch AJ, I'll bet that was fun on the spinner!
Its fun for about the first ten minutes...then after that it felt like we're getting manhandled. Nah. My friend faught the fish pretty much the whole way and then when I took over the fish was already spent, so I got the easy part. Would be way more fun in calmer water, either that or both of us gotto get into better shape.

Good goin' Alan,
Way to get after it on a winter day. Still waiting for a screama on the 14000fa's; that has gotta be fun.

Aloha.

Pat
I got respect for the stand-up on 50s -- definitely gotto be in tip top shape to do that!

deed

Oct 15, 2009
hi
Name
greg
Boat
yes
Thanks al for the fun day!
good eats, good fun, little bit sore....still stoked!!

the "luchador mask" imo, is the wave of the future.
pros:
1. a shield from the salt water slaps.
2. no need for greasy sun screen. (no more embarrassing racoon eyes)
3. complete anonymity.
4. chic ninja style!
cons:
1. ya feel kinda stupid...lol

aj1976

Apr 14, 2008
kaneohe
Name
aj
Boat
23 Seacraft
Nice catch AJ. Did you use butterfly jigs?

BTW whose that wearing the luchador mask?
Used butterfly jigs at first then had a mishap and lost the lure. This one bit a yozuri metal jig. Hows your new boat treating you this winter?

What did it weigh?
Hey Captain. Good going on the bottom fishing -- I was lucky enough to get an Opakapaka from a friend the other week and will be eating that guy for new years. We just finished cutting up the fish tonight. Weighed 62 pounds gill/gutted. Meat was nice for its size.

CMonster01

Jan 13, 2008
Honolulu
Name
Clifford
Boat
Big enough to float without it
I was down in Fla. a while back, and those head socks are common there deep sea, so don't feel too stupid wearing them. I've been meaning to get one, but was thinking it would be too hot for here. Were you baking in it?

molokaipake

May 8, 2008
Kaunakakai, Molokai, USA
Name
capt clay
Boat
24 foot power catamaran, "Hallelujah Hou", 18 foot Prima Sea flatsboat, "Keu" for flyfishing
Al, sure wish a few strays would come down our way, would love to invite some aboard to share some wasabi with. I always wanted to see how many fish it would take to fill up my fishbox. I've never even had it half way full. I'm guessing about thirty of those size fish would probably fit. Just gotta have enough ice for them all

beauchat

Jan 12, 2009
Kaneohe,Hawaii
Name
Russ
Boat
17 Radon
AJ,

the boats doing really well. haveng gone out on awhile though. I wish I got to take it out for the shibi bite..

I met your dad a couple weeks ago at some family dinner. He was with my Uncle Bully.

akunui

Jan 15, 2007
oahu
Name
jason
Boat
28 Henriques "KEALOHA"
Nice going on that fat shibi especially on the spinner.. damn.

russell kato

"Kamoku"
Jul 24, 2009
Honolulu, HI
Name
russ
Boat
15' Arima - Kamoku
Hey Alan,
That is definitely a trophy catch especially on a spinner! I have yet to hook into one of those good size shibi's. I really don't care how I hook 'em ......baiting, jigging or trolling it will look good on Christmas day served up with wasabi and shoyu!
Good going on the shibi!
Russ