Gettin' BUGGY again, SMB lobster 12/5/2019.

FloMar

Hired Gun!
Apr 28, 2004
CA.
Name
John Collar
Boat
Parker 2320
All I can say is "I got the itch!", and when you get the itch you need it scratched. I also saw what I felt was a good weather window . . .
Bryan and I grabbed the boat from storage early Thursday AM, 6ish.
We got the boat home, loaded the hoop nets onto the boat, and the rest of the gear and food. We also loaded on the boat the 10 cages still full of WHOLE sardines from the previous trip.

IMG_0533.jpg

Loaded some sticks on the boat also for 4 hours of planned fishing.
We left at 9AM and arrived in MDR around 1030 AM, and we quickly launched the boat. Out to MDR Sportfishing for a 30 dollar scoop of fairly good looking sardines, and a 5 dollar tip. The Seals were under the bait dock harassing the sardines by blowing bubbles. The Seals were more than a nuisance!

Anyway, we headed NORTH and the was a good bump on the water a 3+ foot swell. We drifted Twin Towers and Ocean Park for not even a scratch, water 60.8 degrees, and a little off color. I said screw this, and up to Topanga we headed. We arrived and the water was 61.8, had jumped up 1 degree. We thought WooHoo! We'd drifted Getty, Topanga, Topanga Bubbles, and the Charthouse. I managed the only fish a 13.5 inch Calico which was released quite quickly. It was now 3 PM, and over the last 4 hours of fishing I'd done the following: Topped-off all 10 cages with 5 fresh sardines for each cage, zip-tied them closed again, and zip-tied the 10 cages into the 10 hoopnets with Bryan stacking everything ever so carefully.

We motored back to our hooping location, except we were going to fish a spot we hadn't hooped in 3 seasons. I thought it was doable because I was monitoring each time we'd been out and nobody was hooping it, so we tried it. First we ate our Sushi dinner Spicy Tuna roll, Catepillar Roll, and something something Shrimp Roll. Mmmmmmm good and we were full and happy, locked and loaded to CLANK the BUGS!

We started pulling at 520, and in the next 10 minutes pulled 5 nets for 3 legals and 9 short lobsters. We started the next 5 nets at 530 and in the next 15 minutes we managed 1 legal and 3 more short lobsters.
After 10 pulls 4 legals and 12 shorts and we . . . are . . . amped!

From 6PM to 612 we pulled 5 nets again for 1 legal and no shorts, and we're thinking uhhohhh. We kept at it, 615 to 629 we pulled the other 5 hoop nets for 2 more legals and 2 more short lobsters. After 20 pulls we had a limit (7) of lobsters and 14 short lobsters. So at this point we'd exceeded the previous trip where we'd shut it down with only 6 legals due to FN Seals.

From 652 until 707 we pulled the next 5 nets for 3 more legals and 6 more short lobsters. We kept at it from 708 until 723 we pulled the next 5 nets for NADA, no legals and no shorts, but . . . After 30 pulls we had 10 legals and 20 short lobsters which truly exceed both of our expectations. Then a slap in the face REALITY CHECK! 745-8PM pulled 5 more nets for NO legals and 1 short lobster. At this point I knew it was over and told Bryan "we're done let's get!"

816-826 pulled 5 more nets for NO legals and NO short lobster, and the nets were left on the boat. 826-835 pulled 5 more nets for 1 legal and NO short lobster, and the nets were left on the boat. Knuckle bump and we headed in. As I headed back down the MDR channel I told Bryan I had a hunch. Sooooo, Bryan dropped 5 of the hoop nets back down on a certain chunk of the MDR breakwater. All 5 nets in the water by 855.

We gave it a 20 minute soak and started pulling at 915 ending at 925.
Low and behold we managed 2 legals and 2 short lobsters, FN nice hunch John. We took the 13 legals no problem, and it was my turn to get the odd number lobster. This meant I got my limit and Bryan caught 6 legals even though he pulls everything.

Our by-catch was: 12 Yellow Rock Crabs all released none were keeper size, 2 Brown Rock Crabs released, 1 Spiny Dogfish released, final total 13 legal lobster and 23 short lobster. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

IMG_0530.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tom cindric

Tom-broke-off
Jun 17, 2015
Lake elsinore
Name
all she's got
Boat
22 key largo / 2670 Glacier Bay
Great post.. thanks for the details, it makes for an interesting read. Hopefully I'll get back up to SMB before the end of the season.

Reactions: FloMar
Upvote 0

Hismosa

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Oct 15, 2016
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Name
    Glenn
    Boat
    Boats n hoes
    Thanks for the report, was going to try this area today. Hopefully have similar luck.

Beautiful weather yesterday but only managed 1 keeper and 10 shorts out of long beach

Upvote 0

Fisha

skipper
    Aug 3, 2006
    Orange
    Name
    Dave
    Boat
    24' sea ray flybridge, 12' w/outboard
    Nice job. We tried up there one time, but didn't have much luck.

Upvote 0

tunakillerjoe1

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jul 24, 2017
    San Diego, Calif
    Name
    Joseph Gratteau
    Boat
    Valco Westcoaster 150'
    Way to get them! So no problems with seals trying to get your bait? I am surprised by the short soak times. Thanks for the report!

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
    Apr 28, 2004
    CA.
    Name
    John Collar
    Boat
    Parker 2320
    Great report. Next time try to including every detail, like wind speed, current direction and water clarity. JK !!! will let you know what happens. Glad you got them.

The WIND blew just enough so you could feel that chill goes up your back.
    The CURRENT was uphill all-day where we fished and hooped.
    The WATER CLARITY was clean green when fishing Topanga,
    everywhere else it was dirty brownish.
    The dirty water seem to disappear at 445 PM yesterday, same time of sunset and high tide. Trouble-Maker! John.

Reactions: Shon
    Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
    Apr 28, 2004
    CA.
    Name
    John Collar
    Boat
    Parker 2320
    Way to get them! So no problems with seals trying to get your bait? I am surprised by the short soak times. Thanks for the report!

Never saw Seals at the ramp, never saw Seals on any docks, never saw Seals on the jetties or the outside MDR breakwater, and never encountered Seals while fishing or hooping. That alone made the night a success! It was like someone came into town and took them away aka cleaned them up. Good FN riddance, bye-bye Seals!! John. Added the shortest soak times can be as-short as 5 minutes when the bugs are running away from their homes.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

NoLDR

OG BD member
  • Mar 26, 2003
    Sherman Oaks
    Name
    BRAD
    Boat
    29 Baha Cruiser NoLDR
    No rhyme or reason to the crawl last night. Got bugs at sundown and also at 10 pm. They were either easily legal or short no need to measure. The quality of the yellow rock crabs is a nice bonus. Might take a look for a mako to see if I can get one for the freezer before they say goodbye for the season.

The lack of seals is a very welcoming.

Upvote 0

rustman

Aug 4, 2005
    Irvine, Ca
    Name
    Rusty
    Boat
    1986 Cabo 216 Cuddy-Con
    All I can say is "I got the itch!", and when you get the itch you need it scratched. I also saw what I felt was a good weather window . . .
    Bryan and I grabbed the boat from storage early Thursday AM, 6ish.
    We got the boat home, loaded the hoop nets onto the boat, and the rest of the gear and food. We also loaded on the boat the 10 cages still full of WHOLE sardines from the previous trip.

View attachment 1096247

Loaded some sticks on the boat also for 4 hours of planned fishing.
    We left at 9AM and arrived in MDR around 1030 AM, and we quickly launched the boat. Out to MDR Sportfishing for a 30 dollar scoop of fairly good looking sardines, and a 5 dollar tip. The Seals were under the bait dock harassing the sardines by blowing bubbles. The Seals were more than a nuisance!

Anyway, we headed NORTH and the was a good bump on the water a 3+ foot swell. We drifted Twin Towers and Ocean Park for not even a scratch, water 60.8 degrees, and a little off color. I said screw this, and up to Topanga we headed. We arrived and the water was 61.8, had jumped up 1 degree. We thought WooHoo! We'd drifted Getty, Topanga, Topanga Bubbles, and the Charthouse. I managed the only fish a 13.5 inch Calico which was released quite quickly. It was now 3 PM, and over the last 4 hours of fishing I'd done the following: Topped-off all 10 cages with 5 fresh sardines for each cage, zip-tied them closed again, and zip-tied the 10 cages into the 10 hoopnets with Bryan stacking everything ever so carefully.

We motored back to our hooping location, except we were going to fish a spot we hadn't hooped in 3 seasons. I thought it was doable because I was monitoring each time we'd been out and nobody was hooping it, so we tried it. First we ate our Sushi dinner Spicy Tuna roll, Catepillar Roll, and something something Shrimp Roll. Mmmmmmm good and we were full and happy, locked and loaded to CLANK the BUGS!

We started pulling at 520, and in the next 10 minutes pulled 5 nets for 3 legals and 9 short lobsters. We started the next 5 nets at 530 and in the next 15 minutes we managed 1 legal and 3 more short lobsters.
    After 10 pulls 4 legals and 12 shorts and we . . . are . . . amped!

From 6PM to 612 we pulled 5 nets again for 1 legal and no shorts, and we're thing uhhohhh. We kept at it, 615 to 629 we pulled the other 5 hoop nets for 2 more legals and 2 more short lobsters. After 20 pulls we had a limit (7) of lobsters and 14 short lobsters. So at this point we'd exceeded the previous trip where we'd shut it down with only 6 legals due to FN Seals.

From 652 until 707 we pulled the next 5 nets for 3 more legals and 6 more short lobsters. We kept at it from 708 until 723 we pulled the next 5 nets for NADA, no legals and no shorts, but . . . After 30 pulls we had 10 legals and 20 short lobsters which truly exceed both of our expectations. Then a slap in the face REALITY CHECK! 745-8PM pulled 5 more nets for NO legals and 1 short lobster. At this point I knew it was over and told Bryan "we're done let's get!"

816-826 pulled 5 more nets for NO legals and NO short lobster, and the nets were left on the boat. 826-835 pulled 5 more nets for 1 legal and NO short lobster, and the nets were left on the boat. Knuckle bump and we headed in. As I headed back down the MDR channel I told Bryan I had a hunch. Sooooo, Bryan dropped 5 of the hoop nets back down on a certain chunk of the MDR breakwater. All 5 nets in the water by 855.

We gave it a 20 minute soak and started pulling at 915 ending at 925.
    Low and behold we managed 2 legals and 2 short lobsters, FN nice hunch John. We took the 13 legals no problem, and it was my turn to get the odd number lobster. This meant I got my limit and Bryan caught 6 legals even though he pulls everything.

Our by-catch was: 12 Yellow Rock Crabs all released none were keeper size, 2 Brown Rock Crabs released, 1 Spiny Dogfish released, final total 13 legal lobster and 23 short lobster. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

View attachment 1096248
    Years ago I always enjoyed you posts fishing halibut, now I look forward to reading your bug posts. Adapting to ones environment is your specialty. Great report Flo Mar. The quantity and quality of halibut in my traditional go to spots sure has diminished over the last few years, but then again the entire So Cal fishery has had some interesting changes.

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
    Apr 28, 2004
    CA.
    Name
    John Collar
    Boat
    Parker 2320
    Years ago I always enjoyed you posts fishing halibut, now I look forward to reading your bug posts. Adapting to ones environment is your specialty. Great report Flo Mar. The quantity and quality of halibut in my traditional go to spots sure has diminished over the last few years, but then again the entire So Cal fishery has had some interesting changes.
    Thank You Rusty, I appreciate your feedback! John.

Upvote 0

vincentek9

halibut suck
    Apr 9, 2010
    anaheim, CA
    Name
    Vince
    Boat
    AVparker
    A hell of a detailed report. looks like a ton of pulling with not so much break time. that's a great way to keep warm, and you managed 13 keepers before 10PM which is friggin amazing.

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
    Apr 28, 2004
    CA.
    Name
    John Collar
    Boat
    Parker 2320
    Upvote 0