STANWOOD BOB

Well-Known "Member"
Oct 1, 2012
WA
Name
Bob
Boat
NA
Thanks for posting the link although it's about as clear as mud :oops: Been fishing SE for about 13 years twice a year recently and after rotator cuff surgery in late Jan 2020 this just might be the year to sit out...Damn I hate the thought of even typing this today....

Reactions: One_Leg

dutra

I've posted enough I should edit this section
May 12, 2007
california
Name
Dutra
Boat
ding-a-ling
Agreed. Im going mid July. Hopefully they will have changed their stance. If not, I will get tested and possibly tested again at the airport

Reactions: STANWOOD BOB

STANWOOD BOB

Well-Known "Member"
Oct 1, 2012
WA
Name
Bob
Boat
NA
Agreed. Im going mid July. Hopefully they will have changed their stance. If not, I will get tested and possibly tested again at the airport
Should be there up right now for Chinook! FYI I've been tested twice here in WA state (negative) in drive thru test units about 5 weeks apart and it really is no big deal! Email response in two days and a text on the test results in less than 24 hours too!! Loved going up the last week of August or early September for Northern Coho and I just might do it since I'm not gettin' any younger! Bad part is not a peep out of the outfit I fished with for all these years and I'm almost afraid to ask.........

1steveT

Nov 22, 2010
Carp, CA, USA
Name
Steve T.
Boat
soon2B
^^^^This^^^^
I've been going to Yakautat for 10 days for the last 6 years with my friend who's been going for the last 23. Our trip is the last week of August and haven't heard much from the condo we stay at or our charter Capt.
Really hope things change for the better by then.
Wonder how the testing deal is with the airports that we have to go through to get to YAK?

Reactions: ratboy

caballo del mar

May 4, 2004
San Diego,CA
Name
Doug
Boat
32' Amato cabin
^^^^This^^^^
I've been going to Yakautat for 10 days for the last 6 years with my friend who's been going for the last 23. Our trip is the last week of August and haven't heard much from the condo we stay at or our charter Capt.
Really hope things change for the better by then.
Wonder how the testing deal is with the airports that we have to go through to get to YAK?
I’m going to Yakutat first week of September. It will be my first trip to Alaska. Just got an email from a fishing outfit in Yakutat, they said they are open for business and taking people fishing. Just have to get the test with results 72 hours prior to departure. I’ll be looking forward to your posts as I am going a week later.

Last edited:

1steveT

Nov 22, 2010
Carp, CA, USA
Name
Steve T.
Boat
soon2B
Thanks for the heads up.
We'll be there the last week of August through the first week of September, so we may cross paths, staying at the Mooring Inn.
First week the wives will be with us, second week is for the guys.
This being your first trip to Alaska will blow your mind, just an added bonus for you is to going to Yakutat, plan on getting hooked. You should be sure to book a trip to Hubbard Glacier, well worth it.

Reactions: ratboy

caballo del mar

May 4, 2004
San Diego,CA
Name
Doug
Boat
32' Amato cabin
I’m going with my girl. We have a few things booked including some self guided stuff. Not sure how that is going to work out but should be fun trying. We are also signed up to go with with Bob Fraker on the Arnklin River and couple of days with Geoff Widdows. We’re staying at Blue Heron and AIRBNB. We will be arriving the fourth. Any tips would be appreciated.

May 17, 2019
Eagle River
Name
Joe
Boat
Salmonella
i just flew back from a job site and asked the testing people at anchorage what the turn around time is for the testing and they said 3-5 days right now.

1steveT

Nov 22, 2010
Carp, CA, USA
Name
Steve T.
Boat
soon2B
Cool! We're booked with Geoff for 2 days too. You're going to dig his new boat Compass, one of the finest charter rigs in the harbor. He'll do a 50/50 Glacier/fishing trip.
The Ankau bridge is a go-to spot (basically pier fishing) when the weather is shitty or the Situk/Lost rivers are blown out. Tons of Coho in the back bay.
Fish the Situk or Lost for your self-guided deal, you'll need some good chest waders and boots along with a good rain jacket (it often rains every day)
You renting a vehicle? If so, go check out Harlequin Lake and the Dangerous River out at the end of the road (about 30 miles) and park at the bridge to nowhere and hike down to the lake ('bout 1/2 mile) where you'll see a bagillion iceburgs floating around from the glacier. Super pretty.

caballo del mar

May 4, 2004
San Diego,CA
Name
Doug
Boat
32' Amato cabin
I have a skiff rented for a couple of days. I’ve been provided an area to fish and instructed how to fish. I have done a lot of ocean fishing including fishing for cod but not in Alaska. This will be before I go with Geoff. So if I do good. I can use one of my chartered days to see the glacier. I only have a couple of free days. Want to fish the river and bridge on those days. What’s the best time and tide to fish the bridge and what do you use for bait or lure? Can you fish from shore near the bridge? I might go to Harlequin Lake after I fish the Arnklin river. I have waders and rain gear. Plenty of Vibrax,Pixie Lures and 3/8 once jigs with feathers.I will be at the Blue Heron while you are there. Then move to AIRBNB on Max Italio Drive. I have a rental car. Does phone service work, in Yakutat, I have Verizon?

Last edited:

1steveT

Nov 22, 2010
Carp, CA, USA
Name
Steve T.
Boat
soon2B
For the bridge about an hour after high and low slack tide when the current really gets going. Best bait is the red label herring fished cut plug style, use a 2-3 oz banana sinker (depending on the speed of current) and a trap rig (2-3/0 Gamakatsu octopus hooks) with at least #20 leader. You can use lures too.
It's a blast watching a school coming through and see them fighting for your bait, it can become quite the clusterfuck when 4 or 5 guys are hooked up, but everyone is cool and having fun.
You can fish from shore all the way to the mouth of the Ankau.
Only AT&T service for your phone.
If you are 60+ you can fish the Old Man's Hole on the lower part of the Situk, otherwise you gotta hike up river a couple hundred yards past the train tracks.

1steveT

Nov 22, 2010
Carp, CA, USA
Name
Steve T.
Boat
soon2B
Leonard's Landing out by the harbor.
I think Mallot's store right by where you are staying might have it also.
We bring a lot of our own food frozen in a cooler so we buy ours here and ship it up with the food. (a lot cheaper, it's like $10 a tray at Leonard's)
Prepare for the trip of a lifetime, good luck!

1steveT

Nov 22, 2010
Carp, CA, USA
Name
Steve T.
Boat
soon2B
If you fish the bridge any day you are there we'll probably cross paths.
We never used to bother with it, but the last 4 years or so we like to go out and mingle and have fun with everyone and catch a fish or two.
We'll be at the Mooring Inn under the name Knapp if you want to hook up.

caballo del mar

May 4, 2004
San Diego,CA
Name
Doug
Boat
32' Amato cabin
Sounds good, maybe a demo on the bridge would be cool. Never really used the plug cut herring but watched on YouTube and bought a cutting box. How long of leaders do you use? We’ll be at Blue Heron under Nance for the first 4 days.

1steveT

Nov 22, 2010
Carp, CA, USA
Name
Steve T.
Boat
soon2B
Sounds good, maybe a demo on the bridge would be cool. Never really used the plug cut herring but watched on YouTube and bought a cutting box. How long of leaders do you use? We’ll be at Blue Heron under Nance for the first 4 days.
If we hook up, we will show you how to do it. Don't need a cutting jig.
I have a question... when was the last time you talked to Geoff?
I'm having a tough time getting in touch with him and wondering how things are going.
Let's keep in touch, it would be fun to get together with a BD member, we can show you a lot of fun things that a bunch of peeps don't know about the YAK area.
Let me know if you hear anything from Geoff, and let him know that me, Steve, from Santa Barbara, and Bobby want to hear from him.

caballo del mar

May 4, 2004
San Diego,CA
Name
Doug
Boat
32' Amato cabin
Talked with Geoff a couple of weeks ago. He wasn’t sure about opening but they are open now. Maybe he’s fishing. Also they had connection problems a couple of times I’ve emailed in the past. I arrive the 4th was going to fish river(depends on conditions) on the 5th but could change that. I have Verizon, I’m guessing no cell service. Got a couple of skiff trips and a couple of Geoff trips. Could meet in the evening too. I’m sure you can tell me some things about the place. The 8th is open too. Can you fish the bridge in the evenings (I’m sure it depends on tides) after fishing elsewhere? Is it close?

Last edited:

1steveT

Nov 22, 2010
Carp, CA, USA
Name
Steve T.
Boat
soon2B
You can fish the bridge 'til dark, that time of the month are huge tide swings, fishing basically shuts down at the bottom and top slack. The bridge is about a 10 minute drive from town.