general tuna set up questions (60-80lb gear)

best line for makaira 16seaii

Votes: 25 67.6%

Votes: 11 29.7%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 130+

Votes: 1 2.7%

• Total voters
Aug 22, 2019
Newport
www.bigfishbaseball.com
Name
SaltwatrSammons
Boat
none
I have a custom 60-80lb seeker e-glass rod, paired with an okuma makaira 16SEA2.

my goal for this set up is to slay a cow tuna in 2020.

a colleague recommended hollowcore braid for splicing and higher quality connections.

I dont know to much frankly and would love some Line recommendations as well as any other general tips for this type of fishing.

Reactions: spongehead

spongehead

"ONE FISH AT A TIME"
Sep 12, 2010
garden grove, ca
Name
David
Boat
Maria
1st for cows i prefer to use a mak20 with 600yds 100lb seaguar threadlock to 25ft of 80/100 premier fluoro. Bigger gears better gear ratios more drag and cranking power.

For ur setup for cows id recommend 80lb brand name spectra jerry brown seaguar threadlock seen good results from odyssey braid so far. J-braid 8 aint bad. Izorline solid 80 is pretty thick. Do not use ebay special cheap braids. Make sure its new stock not old stock line! Fill it to the brim around 600+ yards at 10lb of load packed tight and even. Leave room for 25ft of fluoro topshot. Your shock absorption will come from that rod. Solid spectra is good you can always splice hollow at the end if you wish to use wind-ons. FG knot with solid spectra to fluoro is very strong and reliable if done right.

FishRock

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
I think the reel is fine so long as you don't plan to fish the kite with it. Just does not hold enough line. Either 80 or 100 lb. solid or hollow. I would go with solid 100 and use the FG knot to connect my leader.

If your entire focus is targeting fish over 200 then you might want to consider a bit heavier setup, or at least testing that rod to make sure you can handle 25+ lbs. of drag without bottoming it out.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: woodfish330
Aug 22, 2019
Newport
www.bigfishbaseball.com
Name
SaltwatrSammons
Boat
none
I think the reel is fine so long as you don't plan to fish the kite with it. Just does not hold enough line. Either 80 or 100 lb. solid or hollow. I would go with solid 100 and use the FG knot to connect my leader.

If your entire focus is targeting fish over 200 then you might want to consider a bit heavier setup, or at least testing that rod to make sure you can handle 25+ lbs. of drag without bottoming it out.

Good luck!
im not targeting cows specifically but i will probably get the chance and want to be able to take one if i do get the bite. is there a braid you recommend?

Aug 22, 2019
Newport
www.bigfishbaseball.com
Name
SaltwatrSammons
Boat
none
1st for cows i prefer to use a mak20 with 600yds 100lb seaguar threadlock to 25ft of 80/100 premier fluoro. Bigger gears better gear ratios more drag and cranking power.

For ur setup for cows id recommend 80lb brand name spectra jerry brown seaguar threadlock seen good results from odyssey braid so far. J-braid 8 aint bad. Izorline solid 80 is pretty thick. Do not use ebay special cheap braids. Make sure its new stock not old stock line! Fill it to the brim around 600+ yards at 10lb of load packed tight and even. Leave room for 25ft of fluoro topshot. Your shock absorption will come from that rod. Solid spectra is good you can always splice hollow at the end if you wish to use wind-ons. FG knot with solid spectra to fluoro is very strong and reliable if done right.
thanks for the insight, im not targeting cows specifically but id like to be able to handle one if i get the chance. where can you get that braid you mentioned?

AKSalmon

Jul 15, 2006
Juneau, Alaska
Name
Bill Brown
Boat
Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
80# or 100# braid; you can't break either although 100# might have a bit more abrasion resistance. And I prefer solid: It's much cheaper and I'm confident in my connections to fluorocarbon. I use an RP knot but others like the FG knot or other knots. Pick one and be sure you can tie it well every time.

FishRock

Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
im not targeting cows specifically but i will probably get the chance and want to be able to take one if i do get the bite. is there a braid you recommend?
What AKSalmon said above. Solid 8 strand 100# with a good knot connection to your leader or Hollow 100# with an inserted leader.

As for the exact braid, I think any name brand, quality braid is fine. I am not stuck on any single brand. JB, Tuf-Line, Prospec, Threadlock.

I have JB 100# on my Mak 16. Mounted on a UC Centaur or Viper.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2019
Newport
www.bigfishbaseball.com
Name
SaltwatrSammons
Boat
none
What AKSalmon said above. Solid 8 strand 100# with a good knot connection to your leader or Hollow 100# with an inserted leader.

As for the exact braid, I think any name brand, quality braid is fine. I am not stuck on any single brand. JB, Tuf-Line, Prospec, Threadlock.

I have JB 100# on my Mak 16. Mounted on a UC Centaur or Viper.
thank you for he insight