Gelcoat repair referral? (greater Olympia)

The Peddler

Living vicariously through others.
May 28, 2008
Olympia, WA
Name
Matt
Boat Name
2400 SeaSport Explorer - "Permanent Waves"
I've got a couple spots on my boat that I'd like to have repaired. It's not within my pay grade (skill set). Looking for someone that can do gel coat repair, either mobile, or in their own shop within 50-60 miles of Olympia.

If same person would be willing/able to polish/wax the boat, I'd consider that service as well.

Do you know anyone?

Upvote 0

C-Dawg

Jun 29, 2011
Elk Plain, WA
Name
Rick
Boat Name
JodyRay, 24' Sea Sport Explorer
I had some minor scratches repaired at Puget Marina. I think they have a guy they bring in for gel work. You might give them a call for a recommendation.

Reactions: The Peddler
Upvote 0

EJ Swanny

Three Generations of Uff-Dah
Nov 30, 2010
Redondo/WA
Name
Erik
Boat Name
"Riley-J" 2006 21' Proline Tourney
I was quoted 7 hundos for a 1" square whammy. That's alot of gas $$$, a shitload of fishing gear, or a few nights in a decent rat-hole at CQ/NB/WP. Looks like I'm going with white nail polish.......

Reactions: The Peddler and A-K
Upvote 0

Team Sency

Fish!! Or be Fished!!!
Jan 6, 2012
Black Diamond
Name
Chris
Boat Name
JuiceBox2
Matt.....I can't make it on any kind of pay scale in regards to skill sets!

However....gel coat work is really easy peasy and pretty magical stuff. The key is that you get the correct matching color...dremel the edges to make a little bowl...overfill with your gelcoat mix(don't over use the activator drops)....let dry(will be rock hard)....then easy wet sand...

and abra cadabra it blends in and looks like never happened!

Upvote 0

The Peddler

May 28, 2008
Olympia, WA
Name
Matt
Boat Name
Matt.....I can't make it on any kind of pay scale in regards to skill sets!

However....gel coat work is really easy peasy and pretty magical stuff. The key is that you get the correct matching color...dremel the edges to make a little bowl...overfill with your gelcoat mix(don't over use the activator drops)....let dry(will be rock hard)....then easy wet sand...

and abra cadabra it blends in and looks like never happened!
It’s the mixing of color that seems to be the art? I thought I could just buy a jar to match my boat, but NMI says otherwise.

Upvote 0

EJ Swanny

Three Generations of Uff-Dah
Nov 30, 2010
Redondo/WA
Name
Erik
Boat Name
"Riley-J" 2006 21' Proline Tourney
It’s the mixing of color that seems to be the art? I thought I could just buy a jar to match my boat, but NMI says otherwise.
BTW, what is the location of your ding? Mine was on the edge of a vertical radius/curve. Alot harder to fill. If it was in a flat/level position alot easier to fill, and DIY. There are color match fills out there, so I was told. Just give them the year and model GL Matt...

Upvote 0

The Peddler

May 28, 2008
Olympia, WA
Name
Matt
Boat Name
BTW, what is the location of your ding? Mine was on the edge of a vertical radius/curve. Alot harder to fill. If it was in a flat/level position alot easier to fill, and DIY. There are color match fills out there, so I was told. Just give them the year and model GL Matt...
Couple gouges near the bow, from one time I missed the trailer bow-stop when power loading, and one spot where I put a couple screws thru the side of the house. Flattish surfaces.

Upvote 0

kwik_wurk

Apr 10, 2012
Indianola & Browns Point
Name
kwik_wurk
Boat Name
Montauk, Sailfish 2360, and Johnson18
Look at Spectrum patch kits, they make several OEM color coded matches. Might have your Boat MFG and color, or very very close match.

This said, gelcoat color matching is kinda tricky in the long run, mostly because UV degradation will cause color mis-match over time. Either original gelcoat will have faded relative to OEM color kit out of the jar OR once the patch is applied one (hull or patch) will fade faster than the other.

When doing small batch (<pint) mixing, the pigment ratio’s are TINY, in fact it’s damn hard to keep track of the drops. Also once it cures the color can shift slightly. —. This said practice a few batches, to make your own “gelcoat paint strips” on white cardboard, each with uncured strip and cured gelcoat side by side so you can see what the shift will be (if any). And write down the mix ratio’s, on the paint cards, duh! — Keep in mind you’ll be mixing pigment(s) BEFORE you add hardener…so that gives you plenty of time to dial it in (compare against paint cards) before it’s go time on the hull.

And get a good kit of 3M wet sand paper and polishing paper. Enough sanding and you can get a smooth blend and mirror finish. Just don’t burn through the surrounding gelcoat.

All together it’s not hard, and it’s easy to practice a few batches to see how it will cure (kick) before going on the hull.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Peddler
Upvote 0

Hannibal

Hold my rod?
Mar 13, 2012
Puyallup
Name
Kellen
Boat Name
Carolina Classic 25 Tail Hooker
I had this guy do some fiberglass and gel coat work on my Carolina Classic a while back. He's local to Puyallup but is mobile. He matched the color perfectly and was reasonable. Not sure if he's still doing boat work but give him a shout. https://www.crawfordfiberglassrepair.com/

Upvote 0

Hannibal

Hold my rod?
Mar 13, 2012
Puyallup
Name
Kellen
Boat Name
Carolina Classic 25 Tail Hooker
That does make harder. I have been able to do just that, purchase the exact matching color in a jar.
She Still Misses your scent.

Fat Fail.jpg

Upvote 0

The Peddler

May 28, 2008
Olympia, WA
Name
Matt
Boat Name
Upvote 0