EJ Swanny

Three Generations of Uff-Dah
Nov 30, 2010
Redondo/WA
Name
Erik
Boat
"Riley-J" 2006 21' Proline Tourney
Hey All - Great season so far...however, boat is taking damage as usual. Clearing DR balls when fish is on can be hectic and costly. Yeah, I know there are alot of different techniques of clearing DR balls. Just would like to know if the pic below (about 1"x1") can be a DIY thing (that will actually look passable), or should it be professionally done?
Gel Coat Damge.jpg

If DIY, any product suggestions, if not, who in the South End is good/affordable for these things. These are the times I like tin cans. Appreciate any info......thanks

Last edited:

eldplanko

got the skunk off
Jun 18, 2012
Ballard
Name
My other boat is a piece of...
Boat
Floater
How well do you want the color to match? I did some work on mine after watching some youtube videos on color matching, that's probably the hardest part. and seems to get pretty close but not perfect. You basically start with pure white, and slowly add tiny amounts of yellow, brown and black, and spot it on in the same area without catalyst until it gets real close. I had my artistically minded kid help me with the color matching part, telling me what color to add. Grind the gelcoat back to taper it, you don't need to go into the glass if it looks like it's not been damaged. You probably would need to do a few layers with some filler/gelcoat mix, and if you want to go all out, you spray on the final coat after cutting 10% with mek.

Upvote 0

tacklejacked

Capt./ Ho if I get to drive
Jun 2, 2009
Seabeck
Name
Greg
Boat
22 Hewescraft Searunner ET HT
Pretty easy...grab up a gel coat kit from west marine or something..

I just did a whole once over on a 12' Livingston and it took some work but it was manageable...spot repairs are easy..

At least get her looking pretty good till the season ends then look into a pro job if you want in the off season.

Upvote 0

sgwill122

I Should Upgrade My Account
Feb 21, 2011
Redmond/WA/USA
Name
Stephen
Boat
'Lady Karen' 28 Duckworth Offshore
I agree, get the gel coat kit and fix yourself. If your not happy with the result pay someone to fix it in the off season. Color matching will be the hardest part.

Reactions: EJ Swanny
Upvote 0

EJ Swanny

Nov 30, 2010
Redondo/WA
Name
Erik
Boat
Well that probably got them into the penalty box,down to the fiber and all.
Yeah - That's what I'm concerned about....that's alot of fill. Not sure if DIY will do it or not.....appreciate the replies though....

Upvote 0

fish kraze

Jul 22, 2015
Name
Sam Edmonds
Boat
Pearl Necklace
Pretty easy repair get your color match made up with the kit, pick out any loose pieces around the edges, wipe it down with acetone to soften the surrounding gel coat, load your gel coat that you made up and activated into a small syringe fill the whole area in till its proud, spray a layer of pva over it for curing, sand flush after cured and buff it out. If you have left over gel coat in your syringe and think you may need to add more after it cures put in the fridge to slow the curing until your done with the repair. I have most everything you need and live in Eatonville if you need materials

Upvote 0

fishing fanatic

May 12, 2008
Alger, WA
Name
jason
Boat
28’ almar sounder //16' lavro
I gotta ask if you’d tape a full hook up/ fish killed session on your boat? With that kind of damage I’m very excited to see it!

Upvote 0

Baby J

Grady prick in training
  • Jul 28, 2017
    Graham, WA
    Name
    Jeremy
    Boat
    Grady White 265 Express Walkaround
    Fill in the deepest spot with some resin and 1/4” glass fibers after it cures tacky mix up the gel coat and fill it in. That being a vertical surface, just have a six inch piece of painters tape stuck on the bottom side. As you fill it in, move the tape up to keep it from oozing all over. Keep the tape on it for 24 hours and wet sand, polish and wax it the next day. If it comes out whiter than the rest of the boat it’ll usually even out after a few months.

• Dislike
    Reactions: G-Spot

fishing fanatic

May 12, 2008
    Alger, WA
    Name
    jason
    Boat
    28’ almar sounder //16' lavro
    That’s NOT a gel coat situation. That’s full on glass repair. Not trying to be an asshole but when you see mat you’re well beyond gel coat.

• Dislike
    Reactions: G-Spot
    Upvote 0

G-Spot

Captain
  • Mar 14, 2008
    Salem/OR/USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    53’ Hatteras STEEL N TIME
    Seems like a little dramatic answer like it’s structural… it’s 1/8” thick gel coat in a corner where it’s prone to be thicker… Super simple repair… get some gel coat, hardener and some micro balloons. Micro balloons look like lightweight fine sand… they are filler product to thicken and make it spreadable…. Mix a tablespoon of gel coat add hardner, slowly thicken with micro balloons to desired thickness… use a small artist spatula to fill and make the repair… leave it a little high…. Once it hardens fine sand paper and viola! Done…. 15-20 minutes and your done… If it’s low when done repeat… if it’s only a tiny bit low, use straight gel coat and skip the balloons…

very easy… craft store or hobby store for a small artist spatula is a great tool for doing small repairs like this…

Last edited:

G-Spot

Captain
  • Mar 14, 2008
    Salem/OR/USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    53’ Hatteras STEEL N TIME
    What would you suggest they do with the glass? Looks like gel coat got chipped off it is all.

Gonna lay some biax on that?
    Bias, 15 layers of roving, followed by some csm, then finish with some fabric and finally sand it for 6 days to bring it back down and then apply gel coat… 😜

EJ Swanny

Nov 30, 2010
    Redondo/WA
    Name
    Erik
    Boat
    Put a sticker over it to keep the sun off the fiberglass and buy more gear. Its a battle scar.
    Yeah, I hear ya....the problem is I'll run out of stickers after a while. For better or worse, I like to fix things right, and ASAP. It's probably cost me more than it's worth (not probably, it has). I do appreciate all the input, thanks all.......

Latest posts