Gearing Up for December 11 Day

Palmer3317

Jul 28, 2015
Colorado
Name
Eric
Boat
None
Hi everyone, I'm headed out this upcoming December on an 11 day on the Indy. I know it's hard to predict what and where we'll be fishing, so I'm just looking to have my bases covered as well as possible. I understand there's a possibility it could be lower banks fishing for cows, Ridge, Alijos, Guadalupe, or anything in between. I've gotten by on a few trips to Lupe and the Ridge using a combination of the gear below and boat loaner gear. Of course, if necessary, I will still be taking advantage of boat loaner gear to fill any remaining gaps, but I'd prefer to have my own rigs setup that would be used for the majority of my fishing time. As you can see, I've previously focused on buying casting/jigging/popping setups because I always loved that style of fishing and because the boats had great loaner gear for live bait options. But it's left me with quite a few gaps in my live bait gear.

My Current lineup:
40# bait: UC RCE700H with Mak 10 (have historically changed leaders to fish 30#-50#)
Yoyo/raiders: UC RCE700XH with JX Raptor
Wahoo bomb: Okuma PCHP 761H with Daiwa Saltist 6500H (spinner)
Popping/stickbait: Saltywater Tackle Monster Ledge 250 with Stella 18k (spinner)
100# bait: UC Viper 76 with Mak 20 (double duty as dropper loop)

I'm currently leaning towards some combination of these options, but I welcome any and all thoughts. Listed roughly in order of how I'm currently prioritizing it:

Option 1: Second 40#/50# bait rig: I could buy a 50# live bait rod to match with my current Mak10. Then purchase a new reel for 40# to match with the RCE700H.
- Which reel for 40#? Fathom 25/30? Which 50# live bait rod?
- Alternatively could purchase a new 50# setup entirely and keep Mak10 at 40#.

Option 2: Buy a little bit bigger 60# live bait setup.
- Raptor 80 / Predator 76 or 80 / other matched with Penn VISX 12 / Mak15T / Penn Torque 40.

Option 3: Buy an 80# live bait rig that can be stealth rig at lower banks or could attempt to fish it down for 60# in a pinch.
- Centaur 76 with VISX 16 or Mak 16

Option 4: Buy a 130# rig in case big tuna show at lower banks. I'm hoping this could do triple duty for chunk/big bait/heavy drop jigging
- Invictus 76 with VISX 50 or Mak 50

Option 5: Buy a dedicated 30# rig.
- Tilefish Jr with a Fathom 15 star drag?

Option 6: Something else I'm not thinking of??

I can probably swing a purchase of two of these options. Which combination of these would you choose in order to best complement my current gear, especially
considering my next trip will be a December 11 day?

Thanks everyone. Appreciate any input!

af dreamer

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 16, 2007
long beach,ca
Name
tom
Boat
44 luhrs dreamer
Dont even think about it now.New stuff will be out WAY before your trip.Also the Fred Hall show is coming up.When the new stuff is announced in July last years stuff will be on close out.JMO,Tom

Reactions: Shon and ZZZZZ

RichG

Well-Known "Member"
Jan 20, 2007
California
Name
Richard G/
Boat
none
Wow, you must not be sleeping much in anticipation. I am not up to date on Penn or UC rods, though I know they are good. I’d skip option 4 unless you intend to do a lot of cow fishing. Your Mak 20 should be able to handle a cow. And it it looks like a good possibility, use the boat stuff. I looked at the Mak 15T for wahoo, however I inherited a HXJ raptor with is similar and works great.

my two cents is get another 40 bait outfit, that can do double duty. Another JX or LX would fit the bill. Fill with 60 pound braid and top shot with 30, 40, or 50 depending on the situation. A rod rate 40 to 60, like a “X” would work.

if you can make it out to Fred Hall, you can check it out and get some good deals.

have fun shopping, but do try to get some sleep. 11 months is a long time to go without sleep.

Palmer3317

Jul 28, 2015
Colorado
Name
Eric
Boat
None
Thanks for the advice guys. I generally only do one trip a year, so I gotta have something to look forward to or new gear to play with in the mean time, right?? I might try to get on a shorter trip or two if the bluefin are going off, but usually it's just the one trip.

I've never done a dedicated cow trip, but I definitely see one for myself in the next few years. That's really the only reason I'm even considering the big bait rig.

To be fair though, even if something new comes out in the next few months, it's not like any current items are even remotely obsolete. It also gives me some time to browse the classifieds for used gear or to be on the lookout for other deals.

Thanks again.

Reactions: RichG

RichG

Well-Known "Member"
Jan 20, 2007
California
Name
Richard G/
Boat
none
If you plan on doing a Cow trip... Consider on that is sponsored by a reel company. They bring all the lastest gear you just have to pay for top shots and that way you can decide if you really need a 50 size reel. I have been using my 30 size reel most of the time.

FishRock

Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
I think options #2 and #3 would be worth the investment. Good for local, Guadalupe and Lower Banks. Okuma, Penn and Avet are all good products. Just comes down to your preferences on size and feel. UC rods are my first choice.

For heavy work I just borrow a boat rig (kite, troll, big bait) and have never had an issue.

reelconcerned

Jun 12, 2011
Santa Rosa, CA
Name
Paul
Boat
n/a
palmer 3317; I've fished the lower zone before in December caught a lot of variety fish, I would have (2) 40lb outfits with short flouro top shots, bring some 30lb line or flouro just in case of those real line shy fish, 1 or 2 50lb set ups with momo or flouro for casting jigs/bombs for wahoo or yoyo/fly line for yellow tail, water temperature will determine what's in play. I would take a 100lb/130lb set up for possible grouper or large tuna, I caught a 272lb tuna in December before on the INDY at Lusitania bank and it never qualified for the jack pot. Not necessary to bring a kite rig, you can use the boat rigs unless you have your own. You will mostly be using 30lb thru 50lb line on the trip. December 2019 had big tuna on the lower banks will see what 2020 brings. your getting excited early (that's a good thing). 'O' by the way if that trip is Dec, 9th thru the,
20th I am on that tripLOL. I'm not getting excited yet I still have a 18 day in April on the Royal Polaris, after that
I'll get excited about the December trip. I'll talk or see you on the boat....Paul

Palmer3317

Jul 28, 2015
Colorado
Name
Eric
Boat
None
Appreciate the advice everyone. Paul, that is the trip I'm on... And yes I'm getting excited for it! Have you been on this one before?
Thanks again.
Eric

reelconcerned

Jun 12, 2011
Santa Rosa, CA
Name
Paul
Boat
n/a
This is a new trip but see it being a regular trip in the future. There is a lot of possibilities on this trip you just don't know what's going to happen, like I mentioned water temperature play's a big part in the lower bank and there is a lot of real good area's to fish if conditions are right. I have fished the lower zone in December several times for variety fish and good possibilities for cow tuna...Paul

Reactions: Palmer3317

hagridfish

Oct 21, 2008
Aurora Colorado
Name
Kevin
Boat
None
I'm on the same trip Palmer. Look forward to sharing the rail. Should be a fabulous trip, It just filled up not to long ago too! So barring anything crazy, it's a go !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

reelconcerned

Jun 12, 2011
Santa Rosa, CA
Name
Paul
Boat
n/a
hagridfish; I do not see this trip canceling, I only have one concern if the ridge area's are cold the boat might fish gaudalupe , more money and lose a day of fishing because you have to go to Ensenada for check in, not sure I am for that. Either way we will have a great time...Paul

Palmer3317

Jul 28, 2015
Colorado
Name
Eric
Boat
None
I had the same thoughts, Paul. It's part of what made me start this thread about the gear. I've fished Guadalupe on a few other trips where the tuna were eating 60# all day. I always had to use loaner gear for this, and I wasn't sure if there are other situations where I'd really ever reach for 60/80. I feel like most of ridge fishing can be done with 40-50, and if the big boys are on the lower banks, I'd reach for the 100#+. The middle ground really just feels like a niche Lupe setup. But I might be missing something too.

The trip is labeled as ridge/lower banks, but I'm guessing that wouldn't stop us from fishing Guadalupe if it was our best bet. As you said, either way, gonna be an awesome trip!

reelconcerned

Jun 12, 2011
Santa Rosa, CA
Name
Paul
Boat
n/a
Lupe can really surprise you, I was at the lupe in August 2019, 8 day on the INDY, you had to use trout size hooks to get bit, super line shy, 30/40lb line and had to pull real hard to get through the large great white sharks eating 50% of the fish and pulling or bending out your hook doing so. Conditions might change in December the sharks will most likely be gone and RichG above post might be right about a larger reel bigger hooks and 60lb/80lb top shot. I will still bring some small hooks 1/0 or (I can't believe I'm saying this) smallero_O. A reel that I use for lupe is a mak 15T with 60lb backing paired with a UC 8 'monster rod using 30/thru 50lb flouro and the HX-3 speed with 80lb backing on a UC 8' wahoo rod with 40lb thru 60lb flouro top shot. ...Paul

Warlord

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 7, 2005
Granada Hills, CA
Name
Steve
Boat
22' Supreme Wakeboard Boat
A December 11 day can make it to the lower banks with enough time to give it a decent look. Even if they find fish, recent history shows it to be a very tough bite! A 10/11 day trip is designed as a variety trip. The captain will make the call if the code groups recon seems promising.

In that light, I’d invest in 40/50# gear that you’ll use way more often than “cow” gear! Now I’ve only been doing the 10+ day trips for the last 10 years. I have a few outfits that haven’t amortized well. I’ve yet to get a fish on my Talica 50:

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
If the Wahoo are on the chew, try throwing Surface Iron. I got one last year, what a kick!

FinHunter619

May 18, 2019
San Diego
Name
Marty Parsons
Boat
VeXus AVX 1980
Hi everyone, I'm headed out this upcoming December on an 11 day on the Indy. I know it's hard to predict what and where we'll be fishing, so I'm just looking to have my bases covered as well as possible. I understand there's a possibility it could be lower banks fishing for cows, Ridge, Alijos, Guadalupe, or anything in between. I've gotten by on a few trips to Lupe and the Ridge using a combination of the gear below and boat loaner gear. Of course, if necessary, I will still be taking advantage of boat loaner gear to fill any remaining gaps, but I'd prefer to have my own rigs setup that would be used for the majority of my fishing time. As you can see, I've previously focused on buying casting/jigging/popping setups because I always loved that style of fishing and because the boats had great loaner gear for live bait options. But it's left me with quite a few gaps in my live bait gear.

My Current lineup:
40# bait: UC RCE700H with Mak 10 (have historically changed leaders to fish 30#-50#)
Yoyo/raiders: UC RCE700XH with JX Raptor
Wahoo bomb: Okuma PCHP 761H with Daiwa Saltist 6500H (spinner)
Popping/stickbait: Saltywater Tackle Monster Ledge 250 with Stella 18k (spinner)
100# bait: UC Viper 76 with Mak 20 (double duty as dropper loop)

I'm currently leaning towards some combination of these options, but I welcome any and all thoughts. Listed roughly in order of how I'm currently prioritizing it:

Option 1: Second 40#/50# bait rig: I could buy a 50# live bait rod to match with my current Mak10. Then purchase a new reel for 40# to match with the RCE700H.
- Which reel for 40#? Fathom 25/30? Which 50# live bait rod?
- Alternatively could purchase a new 50# setup entirely and keep Mak10 at 40#.

Option 2: Buy a little bit bigger 60# live bait setup.
- Raptor 80 / Predator 76 or 80 / other matched with Penn VISX 12 / Mak15T / Penn Torque 40.

Option 3: Buy an 80# live bait rig that can be stealth rig at lower banks or could attempt to fish it down for 60# in a pinch.
- Centaur 76 with VISX 16 or Mak 16

Option 4: Buy a 130# rig in case big tuna show at lower banks. I'm hoping this could do triple duty for chunk/big bait/heavy drop jigging
- Invictus 76 with VISX 50 or Mak 50

Option 5: Buy a dedicated 30# rig.
- Tilefish Jr with a Fathom 15 star drag?

Option 6: Something else I'm not thinking of??

I can probably swing a purchase of two of these options. Which combination of these would you choose in order to best complement my current gear, especially
considering my next trip will be a December 11 day?

Thanks everyone. Appreciate any input!
Which 11 day trip are you on? Trip #27 or #28?
I am on trip #27 the Fins-N-Feathers Thanksgiving classic.
These 11 day trips will hit the lower banks if the reports are good, Then work their way back north stopping on various ridge banks, Alijos Rock or ? , just depending on conditions. Even if your trip get a great bite on the Cows, you can use the boat bigger gear. I would stick with have plenty of 40-80 lbs gear so you have back up rigs ready.

Last edited: