Gearing up for a 2 day- outfit and jigs

Dexter Outdoors

Brian Tsai

Dec 8, 2014
Name
Brian Tsai
Boat
in the future
I just booked a 2 day on the Aztec for July 2-4 and will be flying into San Diego from Florida.
From browsing and researching, I have concluded that I will either rent 1 and buy 1 outfit or rent both. I understand the current bite seems to be mostly 50-80# fish, but 100# have appeared and hopefully the trend mirrors that of the last 2 years.
I do have gear that is adequate as a 25/30/40 outfit, but need to gear up for the heavier stuff.

1) I am leaning towards the Penn Fathom 30LD or 40 LD or Shimano Speedmaster II. Which ones do you guys reccomend?

2) Rod-wise, I hear good things about Okuma PCH and Graftech. Which models are reccomended as a the 50-60 outfit and for 80?

3) Jig-wise, exactly what is considered knife jigs? I know Daiwa SK, Shimano Flat Falls, and Shimano Colt Snipers have been popular, but what else works by name?
Are Daiwa SK jigs adequate in hardware out of the box? For re-rigging your own jigs, what # assist cord, split rings, and hooks are working well?

Reactions: Tuna Dreamer
Upvote 0

tunanorth

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
Assuming you feel you have the 25/30/40 gear covered, the Fathom FTH40NLD2 becomes a key "don't leave the dock without it it" rig.
Fill it 9/10 full with 80-pound braid [around 500 yards], and then wait to topshot it until you get the captain/crew's recommendation for that day.
The topshot may be 50-60-80, depending.
This will cover you well for fish up to about 175 pounds, and probably even bigger if everything goes your way and your knots are good.
Once the "cow" grade fish are in the mix, even heavier gear is necessary.
Match with a 7-foot "rail rod" rated 40-100 and you will be in good shape.
Some experienced anglers like a 7.5 or even 8-footer in this line class, but stay with 7 feet for now [but not shorter].

Upvote 0

Chango3

Jul 18, 2020
Santa Barbara
Name
Colten
Boat
Surfboard
Are Daiwa SK jigs adequate in hardware out of the box?

This goes for most flatfalls, stock is probably good 50/60# and under. For 80+ I use Owner Dancing Stinger Monsters, attached to a solid ring at the top of the jig.

DC1809EB-9B8E-4B25-A323-D84A1BBD2623.jpeg

Upvote 0

matt fe2o3

Dec 23, 2020
San Leandro
Name
Matt
Boat
BT 101
Brian, my 2 cents is rent the gear., I'm in a similar boat (pun intended). My heaviest gear is really ocean salmon based, heavy enough for some things for sure but not adequate for the 3 day I am doing in June and it's never seen a fish over 40#.

Brian Tsai
Brian Tsai
A 50/60 rail rod outfit is something I would use locally here. One can choose to pump an amberjack up from 200' or use the rail and put it in low gear. From having prior experience with SoCal longe range fishing, I rather work smarter than harder. Now, as for the 80#, that is kind of a SoCal only application. Renting 2 outfits will be far more expensive than shipping one back.
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Wandering Blues

I Should Upgrade My Account
Oct 19, 2008
The Land of Entrapment
Name
Curtis
Boat
A Pair of Simms G3 Waders
Call Seaforth and see what their rental line up looks like. I know Fisherman’s uses Fathoms on Calstars, while HM uses Avets on PCH’s. For a 2 day, it may be worth it to rent.

As to the jigs, swap out for better hooks. Most shops offer prerigged lures, complete with chafing springs, crimped heavy mono leaders, and appropriate hooks. Well worth it unless you’re comfortable with crimping and have a stock of 150-300# mono at your disposal.

Upvote 0

jigsaurus

• May 13, 2010
    West sonoma
    Name
    Stephen
    Boat
    12' plastic cod killer
    If you dont want to buy the gear just bring the 3 you have and rent the rest from seaforth. I'm looking at this exact trip myself and I also only have 25-40 pound gear. They have reliable 60&80 pound gear for rent. If you do make the purchase I'd buy the Fathom 40ld2 and put it on a Okuma pch rod. Also your gonna want fluorocarbon leader material in 30-80 pound.

Brian Tsai
    Brian Tsai
    At this point, that is exactly the setup that I am leaning towards. Is the Fathom 40N wider than the 30?

Narrow reels- easier to manually lever wind. I plan to buy terminal tackle locally here in FL. Small and stout circle hooks are not that commonly used here/less likely of a shortage.

I'll buy pre-made leaders since I don't regularly play with crimping nor anything over 80.
    Upvote 0
    Tuna Dreamer
    Tuna Dreamer
    The Fluorocarbon leader is a “must”.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

jigsaurus

• May 13, 2010
    West sonoma
    Name
    Stephen
    Boat
    12' plastic cod killer
    If you dont want to buy the gear just bring the 3 you have and rent the rest from seaforth. I'm looking at this exact trip myself and I also only have 25-40 pound gear. They have reliable 60&80 pound gear for rent. If you do make the purchase I'd buy the Fathom 40ld2 and put it on a Okuma pch rod. Also your gonna want fluorocarbon leader material in 30-80 pound.
    I believe the 40n is a bit taller than the 30. But I think the 30 is wider. The 40n is pretty versatile like tunanorth mentioned.

Upvote 0

2Rotten

Live in Oregon/Love to Fish San Diego!
    Jan 10, 2010
    Junction City OR
    Name
    Rod Lathrop
    Boat
    24' North River Seahawk Hardtop "Sun Dog"
    The Penn 40 nld2 is heavier, with larger gears and bigger drag washers than the 30/2. I have 2, it is a Great 60# reel that can stretch in a pinch to 80# work. Lots of large Tuna have fallen to a 40 nld2 but it is Not a Cow Tuna reel. My 2 cents, get a Fathom 40 nld2 this year with a strong 60# class rod, and save up your $$$ next year for a Mak 16/VISX16 or Mak20/VISX20 with a stout rod for 80/100# work.

Upvote 0