Gear recommendations for newbie

Arosas

May 16, 2021
Oceanside
Name
Angel
Boat
Chubasco 2
Hello everyone, I’m primarily a surf fisherman targeting leopard sharks and rays etc. Well I’ve decided this is the year I want to start going offshore to target yellowtail and maybe mahi mahi. So when it comes to the world of offshore fishing I have little knowledge, was hoping for some tips and recommendations for gear. I recently just bought a Daiwa Sealine-X50hv and it has 65lb braid with 50lb topshot and was thinking is this reel better suited for surface irons or heavy yo-yos? Anyways I know I need more setups and am looking for more gear so if anyone can recommend what kind of gear I need and what lb test I should use etc that would be greatly appreciated 🙏

Reactions: Chango3
Upvote 0

tony38

Mar 30, 2014
Name
tony
Boat
none yet
go to the classified and look for a penn fth25 2 spd most time its filled with 65lb braid, its a great all around reel that can cover you from 25-40 lb leader and a rod in the 8 feet rated 20- 40 or a bit heavier and you be in the game

A
Arosas
So would 65lb with 30lb leader be suitable for irons?
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

tony38

Mar 30, 2014
Name
tony
Boat
none yet
you can go 40lb leader or even 50 for irons as its more of a reaction bite, my setup for surface iron for yellows its a lexa 400 filled to the top with 50lb braid and about 5 feet of 40lb mono on a 8ter rod rated 40-60

Reactions: Arosas
Upvote 0

NaClAddict

• Jul 18, 2008
    torrance
    Name
    Greg
    Boat
    22 glasstron
    That’s a decent mid sized off shore reel. I would put #40 on it and try to build a #25. That covers most of the fishing I do offshore. I would look to pair them with good calstar blanks. I would look for a 7’ calstar for both reels. Make sure you buy a bait stick. Reed some reports. 270 7H for #25 or a grafighter, your preference. For #40 I love my 6480 but it’s a 8’. There are some great graphite rods I’m just not as familiar with them.
    I think you’re going the right route. Build quality setups for line classes that you’ll use the most. most of my YT and do do’s are bait fish on paddies so 20-30#. finish your 40-50 setup, a 7’ rod jigs, casts, yo-up’s and fishes bait well. Then build that light offshore setup (20-30). I usually bring at least a 20, 30, and 40 lb setup. Often I’ll do a 25 and 40 and it’s fine. If paddy fish are finicky thrown on #20 fluorocarbon to get bit.

Reactions: Arosas
    A
    Arosas
    Are you saying put 40 on the Daiwa or the penn? Because like tony above said I was looking at the penn fathom and putting 65 braid on it with 30 on top so would that cover the live bait setup? Excluding the rod of course still looking at those
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

NaClAddict

• Jul 18, 2008
    torrance
    Name
    Greg
    Boat
    22 glasstron
    A newer 25 nld reel will do everything that 50hv can except hold the line.

I like the sealine line but my hv has no crank, although it’s a smaller size, it still has no guts to crank down on decent fish. Your 50 hv is really a great 30 lb reel to me and I’ve never spooled anything more than 40 on a sealine that size because the drags and guts are inadequate after that. I never liked the 6:1 gears and used to swap them out.

Put it on a 800m and you’ve got a nice #30. My advice is buy newer used gear. I try not to disparage other people’s gear, all my sealines are proven killers. I use single speeds up to #60. I’d love a small 2 speed, I’m just cheap, but the fathom 25 nld tops the list.

I would buy a quality used rod to put your reel on. 270 calstar series, 765 m or ml, 800 m or ml. 6480 are great if you go 40 lb. I like 7’ better unless you’re used to long rods or want to learn them. There are a lot of newer great rods and reels out there. I just keep fishing what I’ve got. I listed ones I see for sale often.

A
    Arosas
    Got it, thanks for the info was really helpful 🙏
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

Dave Coopman

Almost A Member
    May 26, 2019
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Dave Coopman
    Boat
    Judge 27
    You are going to get plenty of suggestions for tackle to buy. My suggestion is look at what the people are recommending and by the best gear within your budget.
    The last thing you want to do is go out and find out you need a two speed reel, a heavier or lighter rod, etc. you get my drift.
    As far as terminal tackle goes, wait till pretty much right before your trips to buy the “hot” whatever. That stuff will change as the season progresses.

Reactions: kayakbeast33
    Upvote 0

bdogie1

• May 27, 2015
    Name
    Brandon
    Boat
    getsome
    Okuma PCH C 801h or 761h - best priced rod out there 179.00 to 200.00 Amazon and lot of pairing options, but I would grab a Avet JX G2 or even regular JX loaded with 50lb or 65lb braid it will cover you from fishing 25lb leader to 50lb leader. Great light set up for big yellowtail and even tuna to 80-90 pounds no problem ( nailed a 80lb BFT on my JX on 30lb leader only a 25 minute fight or so ). If you want to pair it with a 2 speed the penn fathom 25n would be nice. I would get a bad ass single speed set up and then get a PH C 761xh or 801xh and pair it with a penn 40nlds with 80lb braid for some bigger fish if you plan to go for BFT that you could run a leader from 50lb to 150lb.

A
    Arosas
    So my Daiwa sealinex-50hv I have 65 lb braid on it and it has 50 topshot but I might change it the topshot so is this suitable now for say mahi mahi and yellows as a live bait, or use it as a iron set up
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

bdogie1

• May 27, 2015
    Name
    Brandon
    Boat
    getsome
    I would get away from the top shot set up and just start running double uni knot set up with 4-5 foot fluorocarbon leaders as needed. That way you can use that stick to fish 20lb to 40 lb leaders and change the leader on the fly. There days you might start with a 40-lb leader and then decide to go down to a 30lb and just change it out in a couple minutes. Top shot set up are more for fisherman that has multiple rod set ups. So then I would grab a PCH C 801xh of 761xh with a penn 40nlds and set it up with 80lb braid to the top and then you could run it with fluorocarbon leaders from 50 - 150lb that would cover a lot with 2 rods if you not trying to go out a spend a quick grand on new gear.

A
    Arosas
    So run straight braid with flouro leaders as seen fit for the moment, and what are your thought in the sealine x40sha, I know I just got the 50xhv but I see on for sale that’s not a bad price
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0