Gear recommendation for Cabo surf casting

907Alaska

Jan 10, 2013
boise, id usa
Name
matthew
Hi, I am looking for advice from folks who surf cast around Cabo. I’ll be there in early Feb, so anticipating mostly just sierra, but hopefully snapper or grouper off the rocks near the resort.

What reel - and especially what size - would you recommend? I’m looking at either the Penn Spinfisher VI or the Shimano Spheros SW A. Likely pair it with a 10 or 11’ rod from Jansens. Expecting to toss lures in the 2-3 oz range. That said, I’ve never been to Baja …

Much appreciated!

Upvote 0

elskel

Apr 15, 2005
Laguna Beach CA / El Pescadero BCS
Name
Brian Knott
Boat Name
21' Baja Bayrunner
Hey amigo, spinning reel 5000/6000 size, Shimano or something. I fish a Jansen 13’ Baja Beach rod. I fish 50# power pro max quatro braid and a 50# top shot of fluoro carbon .
Anything silver, Some of Jansens lures: Sierra Killer, Killer Jig, Anchovy all silver. I have done real well this past year Anchovy Pink.
Couple top waters: Cabo Killer and a Ballyhoo. This should cover you. I live North of CSL, El Pescadero, fish quite a bit. Sierra, Jacks, small Roosterfish, Dorado and ?, you just never know. Any more questions give me a holler. I should be back on the beach in Jan., (shoulder surgery). Check out my Instagram, check posts from Dec, Jan, Feb, should give you an idea of fish. Buenas Suerte, bk
Instagram: bk_elskel

Upvote 0

marlyn

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Dec 18, 2005
So Cal
Name
mark
Boat Name
21' skiff and 12' portabote recycled from milk jugs
Hey amigo, spinning reel 5000/6000 size, Shimano or something. I fish a Jansen 13’ Baja Beach rod. I fish 50# power pro max quatro braid and a 50# top shot of fluoro carbon .
Anything silver, Some of Jansens lures: Sierra Killer, Killer Jig, Anchovy all silver. I have done real well this past year Anchovy Pink.
Couple top waters: Cabo Killer and a Ballyhoo. This should cover you. I live North of CSL, El Pescadero, fish quite a bit. Sierra, Jacks, small Roosterfish, Dorado and ?, you just never know. Any more questions give me a holler. I should be back on the beach in Jan., (shoulder surgery). Check out my Instagram, check posts from Dec, Jan, Feb, should give you an idea of fish. Buenas Suerte, bk
Listen to this guy he kills it!

Upvote 0

907Alaska

Jan 10, 2013
boise, id usa
Name
matthew
That’s great man, thanks a ton. What’s your thoughts on open sand beach vs rocky shoreline? Is it all productive or would you target one over the other? Hope you’re able to get back on the water quick with the shoulder.
Thanks!

Upvote 0

elskel

Apr 15, 2005
Name
Brian Knott
Boat Name
21' Baja Bayrunner
I fish both, some of the open sandy beaches are good. the fish travel up and down the beaches. Find the bait. The 50# is good, some fish 30/40#, I like the heavier, for Sierra. Actually I fish the 50#, about 90% of the time. If fishing the rocks, all rock area for Pargo, I will fish a 80# top shot of fluoro. A beach with some structure is always nice. But, occasionally I feed a lure to the Sierra. Hope this helps, give me a holler if you have anymore questions. bk

Reactions: 907Alaska
Upvote 0

elskel

Apr 15, 2005
Name
Brian Knott
Boat Name
21' Baja Bayrunner
Here is a nice Sierra:
IMG_9006 2.jpeg

Reactions: Tom123 and Jon Cook
Upvote 0

Nainai

Jan 8, 2023
California
Name
Nainai
Boat Name
N/A
Thanks for all the info Elskel.
I'm traveling down from the US in a campervan and definitely going to hit up some beaches there. Going to bring some lures to hold me over till I can get to Jansens.

Upvote 0

Latest Articles