fishybuzz
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Name
David Tang
Boat
Intrepid
Just read that the 30 atd's are available with 1.2 low gear...is that true??? and if so how much will it cost to change out the old higher gears????

yft1979

Well-Known "Member"
Sep 7, 2004
Murrieta
Name
Garrett
Boat
-
My reel might have a handle meant for the 50 as looking at the spool spin it looks more like 4-1, and 1.7-1
but this is what the handle reads

Sactotuna

Well-Known "Member"
Oct 20, 2005
sacramento
Name
jim
Boat
Royal Star
Call Cal Sheets. It's not inexpensive, but he can.

JSR

Sep 5, 2005
Irvine
Name
John
Boat
n/a
so, Jay and Len are the little girls? :)
Len had that conversion done by Cal
i inquired about it at Ken's custom reels and the above is just a reference to what Cal does and the cost
Jay has his in for the conversion
the 1.7 of the atd30 seemed fine to me
but, you know the 50 has a 1.2
they want to tractor them in, Jim :)

Sactotuna

Well-Known "Member"
Oct 20, 2005
sacramento
Name
jim
Boat
Royal Star
so, Jay and Len are the little girls? :)
Len had that conversion done by Cal
i inquired about it at Ken's custom reels and the above is just a reference to what Cal does and the cost
Jay has his in for the conversion
the 1.7 of the atd30 seemed fine to me
but, you know the 50 has a 1.2
they want to tractor them in, Jim :)
I do it in a heartbeat if it weren't so expensive!!
Got all my future fishing $ tied up in cow trips unless the money fairy drops in!

wahoodad

Yaddah X3
Apr 27, 2003
US/Mexico
Name
Choate
Boat
Highliner
I haven't had any troubles winding with stock gears.

fshholc

Jul 18, 2005
Carlsbad, Ca
Name
Jay
Boat
sold
David, everything can be improved. It's just how much are you're willing to pay.
As I get older, I see the value of the lower gear. You're still a younster. HAHA!
It's that last 25 yds that the lower gear should help us old guys. Nothing wrong with the standard 1.7.

wahoodad

Yaddah X3
Apr 27, 2003
US/Mexico
Name
Choate
Boat
Highliner
David, everything can be improved. It's just how much are you're willing to pay.
As I get older, I see the value of the lower gear. You're still a younster. HAHA!
It's that last 25 yds that the lower gear should help us old guys. Nothing wrong with the standard 1.7.
I'll let ya know in 8 years Jay, but I doubt I'll need it then either. :D

fishordie

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Aug 31, 2005
Calabasas CA
Name
Jamie
Boat
2013 Ranger Z521 with 250 Merc.: Now deceased.. Thank goodness
And here I went in and high speeded all my 30 and 50 ATD's about 5 or 6 years ago with my 80 high speeded this year and Love them. Sure works for me.
I do believe Accurate did their homework on those ATD's in all aspects to come up with the best answer to meet the majority of big fish fishermen's needs. That said,
customizing a reel to meet the needs of the individual is certainly an option we all have. Sometimes it can be done by Accurate Directly as in the case of my high speeding the reels and sometimes it can be done by a reliable third party such as Cal's. The great thing is there is no single right or wrong gearing for any individual rather it is what works for you.

Now with that said, the older I get the more I am relying on my rod recoil doing most of the work. Though there are times I need to crank in low it is mostly just to turn the fish's head towards the boat so I can get into high gear or at the very end of the fight.

Being in better fishing shape is what is now helping me to catch fish faster and easier (Except for my damn arthritis). I have always preached being in great fishing shape but I too have sometimes fallen into the category of being out of fishing shape and I paid the price. When my body is right I do not need any gears lower than what I have and more importantly I find I stay in high gear for almost if not the entire fight. With my big ATD80, the low speed is probably as high as many low speeds and I can crank in big fish with the greatest of ease. The difference is mostly seen on my ATD30's as you are noting. However, once in shape I can crank those 30's with no problem at all, with high speed gearing from the ATD12 which gives around 5 - 1 in high and 2.3-1 in low. In low gear I can easily spin the spool against over 30 pounds of drag by cranking. For this fisherman there is no question I much prefer the speed of the retrieve combined with the shear power of the reel at those gear ratios. Even at death circle most folks are trying to just keep that rod 90 degrees to the boat and wind line as the fish is turning towards you. When that occurs you want as much line to come in as possible. To me and only for me too low a gear would be a detriment as the speed at which line would be retrieved and how it relates to turning the fishes nose would just be too slow for me. JMHO.

Jamie

fshholc

Jul 18, 2005
Carlsbad, Ca
Name
Jay
Boat
sold
Jaime,
Nothing wrong with either opinon and justification can be given for both. To each their own. I'm forever looking at ways to improve my technique and gear. I'll try the 1.2 gears and see how it works for me then maybe I'll start on the "fishing shape" thing. Don't you remember when the stereotype of a fisherman was an old, fat, out of shape, cigarette smoking, beer drinking, foul mouthed, stubbly bearded
cuss. Well, I'm working on it.

fishordie

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Aug 31, 2005
Calabasas CA
Name
Jamie
Boat
2013 Ranger Z521 with 250 Merc.: Now deceased.. Thank goodness
Jaime,
Nothing wrong with either opinon and justification can be given for both. To each their own. I'm forever looking at ways to improve my technique and gear. I'll try the 1.2 gears and see how it works for me then maybe I'll start on the "fishing shape" thing. Don't you remember when the stereotype of a fisherman was an old, fat, out of shape, cigarette smoking, beer drinking, foul mouthed, stubbly bearded
cuss. Well, I'm working on it.
LOL and here I thought that was the description of the new fangled fishermen. LOL. And by the way, I prefer to think of my gut as Washboard challenged.
Best of luck on the change.... Er I mean the change in gear.... errr I mean Oh heck all this politically correct terminology has me confused.

Jamie

wahoodad

Yaddah X3
Apr 27, 2003
US/Mexico
Name
Choate
Boat
Highliner
LOL and here I thought that was the description of the new fangled fishermen. LOL. And by the way, I prefer to think of my gut as Washboard challenged. Jamie
I don't have 6 pack abs, I have a whole case :D