CaptnJD

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 23, 2003
O'Side
Name
James
Boat
Skipjack 25, "BREAKAWAY" & CABO 35 "REEL AQUASITION"
I got the 4 cyl 240HP. Powel said that he just put it in a boat this summer and that the guy overheated it. The guy is getting a brand new replacement. So Powel is completely going through mine by sending out the head and turbo ect.. Will be like brand new when he is done and still under the origional warranty! Think that he said that it only had like 40hrs on it before it got hot and that the guy shut it right down. I saw the block on the stand. The head and turbo should be back any day now. I have been wanting to convert to diesel ever since I got this boat. Getting this motor is a "GODSEND" for me.

CaptnJD

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 23, 2003
O'Side
Name
James
Boat
I got the 4 cylinder 240Hp one for $11K. I don't even know the exact cost as of yet with all the extras like a new flowscan and the engine adapter/connector gizzie an cleaning the gas outta the tanks. Hope to have it all up and in for under 16K. Should have a detailed cost estimate for me any day..

bburrito

Nothing to see here...
Jun 6, 2004
Ocean Beach
Name
Ryan
Boat
Skipjack 24 Open
Ahh so you ended up with that engine Capt. I went and took a look at it a few months ago but I decided that I should finish all of the fiberglass and gelcoat work on my boat first. Did you end up getting the Bravo 3 along with it?

bburrito

Nothing to see here...
Jun 6, 2004
Ocean Beach
Name
Ryan
Boat
Skipjack 24 Open
ZZ, why would you go with the Merc over the Yanmar?

Yoho, are you being sarcastic or serious, I really couldn't tell. But if your are being serious, could you provide more info?

CaptnJD

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 23, 2003
O'Side
Name
James
Boat
No, I didn't get a new outdrive. Hope to get a few years outta the old one. Probably will need a new set of props with a higher pitch though.

ulitmifitm

Aug 8, 2004
West Melbourne Florida
Name
Steve
Boat
None
old-salt788 said:
can you put a desiel on an old gass out drive duel prop?
was backed up by a friend that a gas drive won't hold up to the diesel torque. They may work for awhile but repaires down the road will be frequent and service life of drive units will be shortened by many, many hours.

I started to buy a gas 290 DP drive and was advised spend the cash for the proper drive. Pretty much a pay now or pay later. The drives built for diesels are stronger, better gears and such. So I will take the advice and search for the proper drive for the Volvo diesel I'm putting in.

The diesel drives are twice as expensive as the gas types. For the DPe 290 that I need is $6-7 ,000.00 new. $ 4.5 5,000.00 remanufactured and $3-4,000
rebuilt. Better to go with the remanufactured, better warranty and are like new. Rebuilds have less of a warranty and only have major compoants replaced. Or at least this is how it was explained to me.

I've played cut corners myself too many times only to get bit and pay later. I think with all the money I'm having to spend on this repower. At least I'll try and get the best drive that I can. The engine is very nice for used, 700hrs and I'd rather not keep breaking drives. All told by the time the repower is done, I'll have spent in the range of $14-16, 000.00. Ouch!

Steve

ulitmifitm

Aug 8, 2004
West Melbourne Florida
Name
Steve
Boat
None
Actually the Volvo/GM 350's are a GM truck engine. They're marinized. They have heavier guts like cranks and pistons, arms etc. etc. The Volvo diesels are manufactured by Volvo. Your right about mercruiser joining Cummins. Good move. Cummins still makes the best diesel. The 5.9 Diamond series engines by Cummins are marinzed truck engines. Very,very pricey ! But well worth the $$$ if you can afford one.

The Yammies I still don't know about. Time will tell. They are all racing for lighter diesels with more HP. Yanmar is using quite a bit of alluminum in their engines. My biggest concern would be longevity due to heat dissipation issues that are very important with diesels. They run hot as it is. Linning alluminum with steel may be a bit risky in my book. Time will tell.

If they prove to have the equal service life of their cast iron counterparts. Great ! Heavy is better. History proves that the iron clad diesels are very long runners. I hope the yammies do well. They get quite a bit of HP from a lighter, smaller engine and weight is always a strong consideration when it comes to boats. Hence, why they are scrambling to build lighter high yeild HP engines to provide diesel as an option to smaller vessels and create a larger market.

My .02 Steve

allisonboat

Oct 22, 2004
costa mesa,ca
Name
Bill Allison
Boat
Rehabed 28 Skipjack, Allisonmarine
Diesel is the best way to go. The new diesels are clean, quieter, lighter and stronger in power and longetivity. I have done repowers both with Volvo and the Cummins Mercriser. We are starting the boat show season and are very busy, however is you call, I can give you some ideas. Bill Allisonn 949 642 2628