I Should Upgrade My Account
May 8, 2008
Normandy Park Wa
Name
Dave
Boat Name
19' SeaSport
True statement . 2 reports required.

Each form must be split into Jan thru June and July thru dec, thus twice yearly. If you combine those time frames into a single report they will simply ignore the receipts outside the reporting period and not tell you, leaving money on the table. Don’t ask me how I know.

Upvote 0

Fog Ducker!

Misanthropical member
  • May 9, 2010
    North of Kali!
    Name
    Dave
    Boat Name
    3 and counting!
    WTF did Jay have to do with it!

Ducker!

Upvote 0

Mr Main22

Shoot em & cook em
    Apr 18, 2014
    Open Ocean
    Name
    BajaLifeStyle
    Boat Name
    Parker 21
    Does California have a similar program?
    Do you have to be a business? I have over 1500 gallons of receipts when i took the boat out..just this year.

Upvote 0

FVSerenity

Tuna Boss FV HappyHours
  • Feb 27, 2012
    The Salt
    Name
    Rod
    Boat Name
    22' Duckworth FVSerenity, 2502 Trophy FVHappyHours
    In Washington you just have to buy gas for your boat.

The wa road tax on gas is like 50c a gallon, you get that back but then they charge you sales tax on the value of the gas. You still come out ahead and like I said it will at least pay for one tuna trip so I’ll take it:)

Upvote 0

Siv

May 8, 2008
    Normandy Park Wa
    Name
    Dave
    Boat Name
    19' SeaSport
    It is any off road use - planes , farm equipment , generators. Some other states offer it, my Dad used to file for the refund years ago in Massachusetts.

Reactions: TimeZoned
    Upvote 0

kenzmad

Jan 18, 2011
    kent,wa
    www.jamiesseptic.com
    Name
    jamie
    Boat Name
    nwj 218 lightning
    In Washington you just have to buy gas for your boat.

The wa road tax on gas is like 50c a gallon, you get that back but then they charge you sales tax on the value of the gas. You still come out ahead and like I said it will at least pay for one tuna trip so I’ll take it:)

so, they tax us on a refund of the tax money we didn't have to pay? Oh, how I love living in Washington.

Upvote 0

Tomictime

Crusty Old Salt
    May 9, 2014
    Poverty Bay & Carlsbad
    Name
    Jim
    Boat Name
    Boatless.....
    i always look to to the fishing boards for erudite discourse on tax policy and homophobic commentary....oh wait, that is what Parler is for...well, maybe the homophobic bits..

The logic would be the foregone tax would have been applied to the general fund including boat ramps, etc whereas the road tax would apply to.....well roads.

As for California, the residential street by my winter condo is wider than I5 North thru Seattle, and we have a bike lane. While by no means undertaxed, we have things we need....

Upvote 0

Pipe Dream

Jun 15, 2009
    University Place Washington
    Name
    Larry
    Boat Name
    20 foot Grady-White, Pipe Dream
    i always look to to the fishing boards for erudite discourse on tax policy and homophobic commentary....oh wait, that is what Parler is for...well, maybe the homophobic bits..

The logic would be the foregone tax would have been applied to the general fund including boat ramps, etc whereas the road tax would apply to.....well roads.

As for California, the residential street by my winter condo is wider than I5 North thru Seattle, and we have a bike lane. While by no means undertaxed, we have things we need....

The unclaimed (tax refund) portion of the road tax on fuel put into boats is supposed to go to a dedicated account for recreational motor boat marine access which is administered by the Recreation and Conservation Office - commonly referred to as RCO.

FYI - Much of the money used to obtain and develop the Point No Point property was obtained from that account. A kayak launch does not provide a return to the folks who purchased the fuel and did not claim a refund believing that the money would be spent as intended under the successful initiative which established the account.

Link: https://rco.wa.gov/

Edit: I should have added that despite it being a dedicated account established by Initiative the Legislature raided it during the State's last fiscal crisis with the money sucked into the General Fund. Due to the time between the Initiative the raid was legal but certainly not right - and the money was never repaid.

Here is a link to a better webpage: https://rco.wa.gov/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/BFP-FactSheet.pdf.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Alysium
    Upvote 0