newtauk17

Almost A Member
Feb 5, 2010
Arroyo Grande/CA/USA
Name
Kohei
Boat
18',Robalo
Gents - recently bought a GPSMAP 942XS Plus while waiting for a new rig to arrive. There is a multitude of transducers available for this unit. Any input appreciated - which ones you use, etc.

thanks

Upvote 0

thesaltyhooker

Almost A Member
Oct 25, 2018
Renton
Name
Anders
Boat
North River Seahawk
Where do you fish, what do you fish for, type of boat, and budget are all things that need to be answered first.
Personally I run an airmar TM 185HW 1KW with that unit.

Upvote 0

newtauk17

Almost A Member
Feb 5, 2010
Arroyo Grande/CA/USA
Name
Kohei
Boat
18',Robalo
Thanks for that. Rig is a 21' Maritime - I fish around Morro Bay / Port San Luis. Rockfish, salmon and croaker. Does the TM-185 you use require an intermediary unit like the Furuno's?

Upvote 0

acefuture

@acecraftco
Apr 3, 2019
Costa Mesa, CA
Name
Ace
Boat
Always changing
That unit has 1kw transducer capability so like thesaltyhooker said, i'd run a 1kw Airmar and nothing less if you can. If not, the GT51-TM from Garmin is a great "budget" ducer

Upvote 0

got2fishsd

Jun 21, 2005
Oceanside
Name
Eric
Boat
Maritime 20d
I just installed the B175hw on my Maritime20D. I put it under the lean post. If you want to go through hull I can show you how I did mine.
I think the 175hw is too wide of an angle for rockfish. Works just not ideal for small rocks, deep.

Upvote 0

irob2

I Should Upgrade My Account
Sep 26, 2010
S.D
Name
robert
Boat
REEL ADDICTION/STRICTLY BUSINESS
Fuck transom mount b175hw through hull

A-K
A-K
Until it dies. My b175m took a shit this year. Luckily I have the tm175hw as a back up.
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

FishNfOOl711

Almost A Member
Mar 31, 2006
Venice
Name
Jay
Boat
Working on em
I’m about to do new garmin 8612xsv on my 22 Davis. I’m going with a Airmar 275LHW. Does anyone have any input on that or something comparative?

Upvote 0

iThRoWIroN

Jul 20, 2013
Highland, CA
Name
AdubM
Boat
VU Meeder
This is the exact setup sitting on my couch in boxes waiting for my scheduled dry dock later this month. Hoping someone would chime in.

Upvote 0

lougio

Capt Lou
  • Jul 19, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    Name
    Lou
    Boat
    '03 Parker 2520 Louie-Lui II
    If you are looking for a nice transducer before you move up to a thru-hull the transom mount GT23 is a 600W but does a nice job for what we do out here. The GT51 is sideview capable but your XS unit doesn't have sideview built in. The 23 cost less than the 51 because of the sideview. Check with Semperfifishing. He's the electronics wizard.

Upvote 0

Reel 007

Jun 12, 2006
    Glendora Ca
    Name
    Leon
    Boat
    28 Wellcraft Coastal "vagabond'
    I’m about to do new garmin 8612xsv on my 22 Davis. I’m going with a Airmar 275LHW. Does anyone have any input on that or something comparative?
    Did you install the B275LHW?, I am about to install Simrad NSS Evo3 and want to replace my Airmar B258 with the B275LHW, however the boat yard is trying to convince to go with a tilted element transducer, their logic, the tilted element is better suited for a trailer boat.
    Thanks.

Upvote 0

iThRoWIroN

Jul 20, 2013
    Highland, CA
    Name
    AdubM
    Boat
    VU Meeder
    I'm not sure you can mount the B275LHW and still trailer a vessel. The faring is almost 2 feet long and about 6 inches tall off the bottom of the hull. I could be wrong tho.

Upvote 0

ShadowX

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Oct 10, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Alex
    Boat
    None

Transom mount or thru hull? Its a great transducer unless you are rockfishing. I rather have the normal LH than the wide version if you rockfish.

I believe you need to get a separate transducer adapter box to convert the single Airmar cable to two connectors. The simrad units require two ports and the XID is only on the high frequency connection. In reality, we don't really use the low channel that much unless over very deep waters and we just want to see the bottom at 3000 feet. It stays in high chirp 95% of the time.

Upvote 0

Walker Inc.

Jun 24, 2013
    Gig Harbor, WA
    Name
    Patrick Walker
    Boat
    33 ft. Coldwater Walkaround
    Did you install the B275LHW?, I am about to install Simrad NSS Evo3 and want to replace my Airmar B258 with the B275LHW, however the boat yard is trying to convince to go with a tilted element transducer, their logic, the tilted element is better suited for a trailer boat.
    Thanks.
    B258 shares the same fairing block as a 275Lhw. should be simple swap. If the boat is currently trailed it’s still trailerable.

Upvote 0

Walker Inc.

Jun 24, 2013
    Gig Harbor, WA
    Name
    Patrick Walker
    Boat
    33 ft. Coldwater Walkaround
    I'm not sure you can mount the B275LHW and still trailer a vessel. The faring is almost 2 feet long and about 6 inches tall off the bottom of the hull. I could be wrong tho.
    I have trailed my boat for the last 7+ years with a fairing block transducer. Bunk placement and height make it happen

Upvote 0

Reel 007

Jun 12, 2006
    Glendora Ca
    Name
    Leon
    Boat
    I have trailed my boat for the last 7+ years with a fairing block transducer. Bunk placement and height make it happen
    So have I, if the guys I usually use for that kind of stuff will not do it, I will find a boat yard that will.

Upvote 0

Reel 007

Jun 12, 2006
    Glendora Ca
    Name
    Leon
    Boat
    B258 shares the same fairing block as a 275Lhw. should be simple swap. If the boat is currently trailed it’s still trailerable.
    Walker may I solicit your opinion on the B275LH-W.

Upvote 0