Siv

I Should Upgrade My Account
May 8, 2008
Normandy Park Wa
Name
Dave
Boat
19' SeaSport
Got a Garmin 94sv combo and had it installed. So far really like it , tons of features , frankly more than I will use. The sounder performance was just ok on my first test run and I was unable to hold bottom at speed on plane. Read quite a bit , watched videos and decided to lower the transducer. Took it out yesterday and the sounder performance while drifting or not on plane is great . Really crisp detailed images but still won’t hold bottom at speed. Transducer is now in the exact same place as the Furuno I had for years and it would read at speed unless I had the tabs all the way down . Pics attached . Suggestions ?? Thanks

AE0F1CDF-2549-47C5-94BD-865077738DC7.jpeg

6460E161-415A-4ED0-88C2-805AB0136AE6.jpeg

Upvote 0

Captain Decent

The Bert makes ‘em Squirt
Nov 2, 2017
Covington, wa
Name
Ryan
Boat
The Bert Makes ’em Squirt
Gonna get alot of turbulence there. I've never gotten reliable readings from a transom mount. Also appears a bit high. Who did your install, not the cleanest work. If they're gonna just plug the holes with 5200 I'd like to at least see them work it in and wipe it flush.

Thru hull is the way to go. I'm selling a brand new thru hull garmin gt21 that I bought for my 94sv if you want to go that route

Upvote 0

gabe0308

Jul 25, 2008
B'ham WA
Name
Gabe
Boat
SAANAUK' (SEASPORT 24XL), Tlingit Princess (20' Wooldridge Sport Offshore)
I have an older Garmin 4208 with a P66 transducer and a Furuno (can’t remember the model but older) with a P66 transducer. Both transom mount and neither will read at cruising speeds. Will read the bottom at 7-10 knots. Never worried to much as I always figured if you are at speed and relying on a transom mount transducer to keep you from being to shallow that it would be to late anyways.

Upvote 0

jasper hickman

Team RED BEARD
Dec 23, 2014
Everett
Name
jasper
Boat
30’ Osprey
Yea that ducer is way high. you want the lower surface of the ducer in the water at all times, put a level or straight edge along the bottom edge of the hull and move your transducer down till it’s well past the level of the water would be.

considering your going to have too add a couple more holes to your transom I would look at adding a stern savor. That would cover up some of the old holes and make the installation look like a pro did it at least.

a through hull ducer is going to best a transom mount ducer every time, if you want bottom info at speed I wouldn’t even mess around with a transom mount.

Reactions: Siv
Upvote 0

Siv

May 8, 2008
Normandy Park Wa
Name
Dave
Boat
19' SeaSport
Gonna get alot of turbulence there. I've never gotten reliable readings from a transom mount. Also appears a bit high. Who did your install, not the cleanest work. If they're gonna just plug the holes with 5200 I'd like to at least see them work it in and wipe it flush.

Thru hull is the way to go. I'm selling a brand new thru hull garmin gt21 that I bought for my 94sv if you want to go that route
I have to take the rap for the bit of a messy install. That is my work lowering it from where they installed it and I was in a hurry and didn't take the right care in cleaning up. I filled the holes with 2 part epoxy and then put the 5200 over and left it to cure. I would have used the stern saver if I knew it existed 2 months ago.

Also, the Garmin bracket is pretty much impossible to install without getting 5200 all over the nooks and crannies after you put the screws into the hull in the caulked holes.

Thanks

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Siv

May 8, 2008
Normandy Park Wa
Name
Dave
Boat
19' SeaSport
I have an older Garmin 4208 with a P66 transducer and a Furuno (can’t remember the model but older) with a P66 transducer. Both transom mount and neither will read at cruising speeds. Will read the bottom at 7-10 knots. Never worried to much as I always figured if you are at speed and relying on a transom mount transducer to keep you from being to shallow that it would be to late anyways.
Really this is good point, I get very good readings at 8 knots and at speed everything you are seeing is 40 feet behind you anyway. I think I am leaving it as is for now. I was probably lucky I got clear readings with the old Furuno with the P66 but no sure of the real value.

jasper hickman
jasper hickman
I used to think I wasn’t missing that much with my past boat and transom mounted ducers. After running my current boat with thru hull ducers I now realize that I was missing a ton of available intel.

Finding bottom structure when your on plane to the next spot, marking tuna or salmon while your cruising to where ever, marking bait, marking shrimp, marking tuna on troll, etc.
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Latest posts