Garmin/Transducer issue, will not read bottom.

thesaltyhooker

Almost A Member
Oct 25, 2018
Renton
Name
Anders
Boat
North River Seahawk
took the boat out today to do some fishing..leaving the marina everything worked fine. transducer reading and tracking bottom. get on plane and run out to where i intended to fish, tranducer will not read bottom anymore.
Garmin 942XS and airmar TM185HW.
I checked to make sure it was not knocked out of place from the bracket, no seaweed etc.
below is the way the screen looked. I tried factory resets with no luck. Range was set to auto, no zoom. the transducer still read temp fine, and as you can see it was plugged in and recognized by the MFD.
The only thing that has changed since the last trip out was adding a second Garmin 942 non sonar unit to the boat. the second unit has its own dedicated power source at the fuse panel, and is networked into the n2k network.
Was not interference from other boats, as I even ran to a spot completely void of boats, no change.

Any ideas?
feea230d-76d9-4cc3-b3d1-af900bd01a2d-jpeg.1319024

Upvote 0

sickcat

Silverback
Aug 5, 2003
LA
Name
Kerry
Boat
Yellow spot
No voltage spikes or equalizing the battery? I'll assume the xducer has not been bumped out of position.

If the head unit sees the xducer and correctly IDs it I would start by manually setting the depth range plenty deep enough to see bottom, turn off any filters and turn up the gain. See if it can find the bottom

Upvote 0

thesaltyhooker

Almost A Member
Oct 25, 2018
Renton
Name
Anders
Boat
North River Seahawk
Tried setting it to manual well past actual depth and no change. Went in and turned the gain up and still nothing.

Reactions: clevel
Upvote 0

MYNomad

Heading South
Dec 12, 2007
Pacific Northwest / West Coast Mexico
Name
Rick
Boat
Yes
Did you try while stopped, or at least not planning? How deep was the water you were in? Is everything, except depth, set to auto? If so, try turning off interference rejection and the like. Is it set/tuned for the transducer's resonant frequency? Check connections to transducer? If not of that works, I suspect a damaged transducer (which isn't that hard to do -- hitting floating debris at speed could do it.

Upvote 0

thesaltyhooker

Almost A Member
Oct 25, 2018
Renton
Name
Anders
Boat
North River Seahawk
update.
my cousin has a north river 27OS being built right now and luckily has his full suite of garmin crap sitting at his house.
had him run down this afternoon and we dumped the boat in the lake.
same issue as this morning. completely removed the second screen, all factory resets, etc.
took his transducer and hung it over the side and plugged it in.
bingo bango, money.
so seems like my airmar just took a crap.

Upvote 0