Garmin suggestions

Discussion in 'Boat Electronics' started by Sagedaddy, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Sagedaddy

Sagedaddy Member

Name:
    Sagedaddy
    Boat:
    Riviera fish on
    I will preface this by saying I’m an electronics retard. I’ve got a Parker 2120 that we installed a garmin 942xs and radar on last season. I love the unit. The boat came with a Lowrance hd9 that I thought I’d use as the chart plotter and use the garmin for everything else. After using the garmin I find I use it for everything and the Lowrance just sits as a back up. I want to add another garmin in place of the Lowrance. My question is, for you guys in the know, would you add another 942 or possibly upgrade to the next model up(I believe it’s called the 7410 w/ 10” screen)? I’d also like to add a thru Hull ducer and was considering the one that allows for sidescan. Do you guys use sidescan or is it more of a novelty that sounds good but not really used much? I fish mostly around the Channel Islands and chase the bft when able. Thanks for any advice. Trying to get a few upgrades done before the season. I would abviously like the two units to work together so I’m not sure if that’s a factor or not.

2. benrd81

benrd81 Member

Name:
    Ben
    Boat:
    2660 Sailfish WAC Reellife
    Which ducer do you have now? Do you dive at all? What kind of bottom fishing do you do?

3. Sagedaddy

Sagedaddy Member

Name:
    Sagedaddy
    Boat:
    Riviera fish on
    Can’t recall the model but it’s the transom mount with standard chirp and downscan. I don’t dive anymore but have entertained the idea of getting back into it. Not much rockfishing but definitely looking at bottom structure in 200 feet or less.

4. benrd81

benrd81 Member

Name:
    Ben
    Boat:
    If you are only gonna run 1 chirp ducer than the 942 is plenty. I'm running twin chirp ducers both thru hulls through a 7612xsv.

The GT-51m is only 600w but does the down and side scan and chirp.
    I hardly ever use the downscan. I only use the side scan in depths less than 200 and mainly only use it for locating structure for diving. Occasionally when we are rock fishing small stones it helps to know if they are off to the port or starboard.

I also have a B175HW which helps to locate bait and tell what kind of bait it is. Its an extremely sensitive transducer and can actually mark on the screen individual fish in a school of mackerel going by. You just have to remember that it has a wide cone angle of 25deg if I remember right.

If you end up getting another screen and want to run a second chirp ducer another 942xs should do it you'll just have to network the screens together to share the sonar data. The 942 only has 1 network port so you would need a network hub because of the radar. Might just be easier to get the 7400 series in that they have 2 network ports.

Hope that helps

5. Sagedaddy

Sagedaddy Member

Name:
    Sagedaddy
    Boat:
    Riviera fish on
    Was kind of thinkin the 7400 series for that reason. The cost of the 942 plus the black box might be close to the cost of the 7410. I was hoping that the sidescan might be useful for offshore and other situations where you might have schooling fish to the sides. But that might only be good in theory since I don’t hear too many private boaters talkin about using theirs much.

6. InDeepShip

InDeepShip Ah ship

Name:
    Adam
    Boat:
    In my Dream's
    From what I've heard it helps with making bait but other then that I haven't heard much either. I know a few boats use it up here for looking for surgeon because they like to stay in holes but that's also only in 100-50 ft of water

7. benrd81

benrd81 Member

Name:
    Ben
    Boat:
    You would be better served callin Gil Travis. I bought all my stuff through him and he was more than happy to talk me through everything, answer ALL of my questions and explain why I would want one over the other. Heres his number.
    1-800-925-0341

8. Sagedaddy

Sagedaddy Member

Name:
    Sagedaddy
    Boat:
    Riviera fish on
    Cool. Thanks Ben. I’ll give him a call. I keep thinkin it might be cool for when we’re trying to see schools of yellowtail, seabass or tuna. I know it works for the big boats but I’m sure we’re talking apples and oranges

9. benrd81

benrd81 Member

Name:
    Ben
    Boat:
    The power difference is the key here. The bigger boats are probably putting alot more power on target with their sidescan. Gil will be able to explain it way better than I ever could. I do like the GT-51M when I am using it and glad I spent the extra money on it.

10. Woodeneye

Woodeneye Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    Striper 2300
    I bought my 942 from Gil Travis as well. Super knowledgeable and doesn’t rush you. You probably have the GT-23 like I do and it has the true down scan and standard chirp. I think a lawsuit had them stop those. The GT-51 w/ sides can you’d need an expensive box for because for some reason the 942 isn’t compatible with side scan. I’m thinking of adding a second and ditching my old FurunonRadar for a dedicated Garmin. Good luck!

11. flyinverted

flyinverted Member

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    Trojan F32
    My Garmin setup consists of a 7610xsv and an 840xs as the secondary station. The GT41 ducer with chirp/sidescan are not natively compatible with the 840xs but since it's networked to the 7610xsv, I can see all data from the GT41.

The 7610 has 2 network ports which makes thing easy. No hub needed. The radar plugs directly into the 7610 and it too is viewable on the 840xs.

I'm a cheap bastard and shop shop shop. With the FredHall show coming up, I challenge you to find better pricing than what you can find there at the JohnsonHicks booth. They have always had great deals and I've spent way too many thousands of dollars there.

12. Sagedaddy

Sagedaddy Member

Name:
    Sagedaddy
    Boat:
    Riviera fish on
    Sounds like the 7610 might be the way to go. Just gotta figure out which transducer next

13. Semperfifishing

Semperfifishing Member

Name:
    Gil
    Boat:
    Nomad

Instead of adding a 7410xsv..I would suggest the Garmin 1242xsv...if you wish side scan.

Sidescan is designed primary for structure...but can detect some fish as a secondary use.

For your area..the B175C-HW is a very good choice..and a second 942xs will be fine with that.

14. Sagedaddy

Sagedaddy Member

Name:
    Sagedaddy
    Boat:
    Riviera fish on
    My thoughts are, by adding a second 942, I would have add a “black box”, if I’m not mistaken. The 7610 would allow me to run the two units together without the need for a box. At least that’s what I read from flyinverted’s comments.

15. benrd81

benrd81 Member

Name:
    Ben
    Boat:
    It all depends if you want sidescan or not.
    No sidescan
    1. 942xs and network hub so that you can run a second chirp ducer if you'd like and both screens are touch.

Sidescan
    1. Add a 942 and gcv 20. The extra network ports are on the gcv 20 and its sidescan capable. Both units are touch. Would bet this is the cheapest.

2. Add a 1042xsv which is sidescan capable and has the necessary network ports. No touch screen on the 1042.

3. Add a 7410xsv it is capable of multiple chirp ducers and is touchscreen and has the necesary network ports.