kwik_wurk

Apr 10, 2012
Indianola & Browns Point
Name
kwik_wurk
Boat
Montauk, Sailfish 2360, and Johnson18
quick comments:

very happy with an 8616xsv and a tm275lhw. (and a bunch of other Garmin stuff networked and N2K connected). Really pleased with this base combo. Only knock is not easily being able to duplicate the screen on ipad over wifi.

As far as tracking bottom at speed; auto-Garmin will track about ~500’; then you have to switch to manual depth and basically ‘see/interpret’ the bottom return. Good for another 500’ or so; i’ve seen all depths of the Puget Sound.

If you have more than one boat or plot routes at home, Active Captain syncing all your waypoints and routes and quick draw maps is really nice. Updating via Wifi is nice too; especially since it updates all devices on the Garmin network. Just takes awhile; so that’s a knock too I guess. But it’s no worse than my phone or tablet.

Having separate vhf/ais antennas makes sense if the electronics package actually make use of them effectively. If you’re going to install two antenna (vhf/ais) then either select: a VHF that has two separate antenna jacks (vhf & ais) or get a VHF and separate AIS receiver/transceiver. (Or just install one antenna.) — Because a dual purpose jack is going to duplex the vhf/ais signal (even with an antenna splitter). Now 98% of the time it’s not an issue, unless there is a ton of comms in an emergency. Most VHF units will buffer some of the comms, but not all. —- All this said have a look at the Standard Horizon GX6000; it’s a very very good price point $400 for a packed feature set if you want an AIS receiver VHF with N2K and has dual antenna input.

Separately have a look at the Garmin Fantom radar. It was a better unit when i saw it working. And compared to the xhd - less power consumption, faster spin up, and a few pounds lighter.

Reactions: GregE and Tomictime
M
MatthewJ
I have a friend with the fantom 18 loves it i thinking I’m going to go with this.
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

MatthewJ

Dec 25, 2015
Snohomish
Name
Matthew
Boat
North River Seahawk
@SGwill what are you thinking of switching too? I would really like to go thru hull but the couple shops I have talked to have recommended against it. I have seen some north River guys do this but I am guessing there boat was set up for this for the factory

Upvote 0

KimH

Someday I'll live the dream.
Mar 4, 2009
Tacoma/Westport WA/USA
Name
Kim
Boat
28' Farallon Walkaround "Paragon"
For antennas. Either Digital or Morad I'd say. Morad is close to exclusive in the commercial fleet. Local built in Bellingham and the ones I put in my boat.

For a local Washington dealer you might check with Radar Marine also in Bellingham. https://www.radarmarine.com/ Kind of wish I would have used them on my boat. They do a lot of commercial install but also sport boats I think. They'd be good to check with.

I did go with Furuno. The TZT3 unit et cetera. I haven't had time lately to put the boat through its paces for sea trials yet as some personal stuff has kind of slammed the brakes on keeping me away from the boat or putting it back in the water to play with.

THe TZT3 looks to be a great unit but honestly I'm somewhat disappointed in the charting or what's available for charting. Charting is actually good but they don't have the ability to read the good relief shading mapping that's out there now. The bathy mapping they have is good though. They now have the ability to make and save your own bathy mapping if you spend an extra $3+ grand for their DFF3d multibeam unit and transducer. Cool unit, kind of the little brother to the WASSP multibeam units I used commercially. I'm still thinking about it but I'm not sure where I can install the transducer and still get the boat on the trailer.

One really big positive of Furuno is their SCX-20 heading sensor which will stabilize a lot of autopilot problems et cetera that people have with the various brands using the flux or magnetic heading sensors. It'd be worth looking into if you can use it via NMEA to supply heading data to your Garmin pilot and radar. WIth Furuno it also provides heave compensation for your fishfinder. Since the unit has 4 gps's in it you wouldn't need an external GPS or GPS antenna. I personally feel that one unit (SCX-20) is really worth looking at if you can get it to work on whatever system you have. I don't think Garmin has a compatible SAT compass or heading sensor. Simrad might.

Ain't all this fun.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tomictime
Upvote 0

Socket985

Almost A Member
Jun 6, 2008
Buckley Wa
Name
Mark
Boat
21 ft ThunderJet OB/OS
Why Garmin when there are systems that are way more reliable, don’t depend on weekly software updates, and have customer service and tech reps in your timezone who speak English if needed. Garmin is flat fucking junk, Just facts. Not emotion.

Interesting. Garmin provided me info when configuring my AIS with the standard horizon radio that actually had the AIS receiver. They walked me through the 0183 Garmin configuration with ease. In regards to the Raymarine system I also have, talking to them is the description you said of Garmin.

I'm guessing Garmin shipped recently shipped there tech support off shore?

What brand is best? Furuno?

Upvote 0

KimH

Mar 4, 2009
Tacoma/Westport WA/USA
Name
Kim
Boat
Kim - pretty good first world problems to have...i do envy your satt compass,
jim
Ehhhh....I'd bet the SCX-20 would work just fine with your system except maybe the heave data. It's just a NMEA sentence of some sort....2000 or 0183. There's two versions of it, one SCX20 that's NMEA 2000, SCX21 is NMEA 0183. Another advantage of it, it operates True North but I've been a N up guy all my career with plotters, radars et cetera. Anyway it's a neat little unit that was developed for the sport market.

Upvote 0
Sep 4, 2017
Gig Harbor, Washington
Name
Woody
Boat
Duckworth XL 30
I worked with Dave Reinikka in Fife, [email protected]. Super knowledgeable, helped me put together a good package for my boat.

8612xsv
8610xsv
AIS800
Ethernet bus
Airmar 275
Garmin GT-51
Icom 2300
Garmin 215 VHF
GHS-11 for rear station
24" Fantom Radar
Furuno SCX 20 digital compass
Morad 146 and 156 antennas

Future adds will be Autopilot and another 8612xsv or comparable.

Upvote 0

KimH

Mar 4, 2009
Tacoma/Westport WA/USA
Name
Kim
Boat
I worked with Dave Reinikka in Fife, [email protected]. Super knowledgeable, helped me put together a good package for my boat.

8612xsv
8610xsv
AIS800
Ethernet bus
Airmar 275
Garmin GT-51
Icom 2300
Garmin 215 VHF
GHS-11 for rear station
24" Fantom Radar
Furuno SCX 20 digital compass
Morad 146 and 156 antennas

Future adds will be Autopilot and another 8612xsv or comparable.
My curiosity is up now. I take it Mackay feels the SCX20 will work with the Garmin stuff?? Is that correct? Personally I don't see why not unless Garmin puts some weird blocks on off brand equipment.

I got lost on your build. Who will install or who did the install of your electronics....Mackay???? I know when Mackay bought Harris Electric several of their techs went independant but Mackay will sub them when the need arises especially when the AK fleet is down at the end of the year.

By the way from what I've seen on my boat the Furuno Navpilot 300 seems to be a good unit. I haven't had the chance to test it out well though. It comes with a remote which has some neat features, gesture control. I tested what they call Sabiki mode fighting wind and current. Worked great with my boat. Basically controls the boat on whatever heading you want when backing. It'll be great for back-trolling into the wind & sea. Amount of HP applied to fight the sea of course. Actually I was impressed. Not sure if it'd interface well with the Garmin stuff though. Worth a look anyway.

Upvote 0
Sep 4, 2017
Gig Harbor, Washington
Name
Woody
Boat
Duckworth XL 30
I'm doing the install. After Clemens' sloppy install on my last boat I want to make sure everything is done right. Dave drew up the napkin drawing on how to connect everything and will do a walk through with me for ideas/tricks on how to route stuff. Its taken me a few days to wrap my head around the whole install, but I'm feeling comfortable with it now. Dave will also configure everything and make sure all the units are talking to one another. If he says the SCX 20 will play well with Garmin, I believe him.

Reactions: Tomictime and KimH
Upvote 0

thesaltyhooker

Almost A Member
Oct 25, 2018
Renton
Name
Anders
Boat
North River Seahawk
I'm doing the install. After Clemens' sloppy install on my last boat I want to make sure everything is done right. Dave drew up the napkin drawing on how to connect everything and will do a walk through with me for ideas/tricks on how to route stuff. Its taken me a few days to wrap my head around the whole install, but I'm feeling comfortable with it now. Dave will also configure everything and make sure all the units are talking to one another. If he says the SCX 20 will play well with Garmin, I believe him.
Good call.
If one has the ability to do installs on things like electronics themselves I always think its a good idea.
Makes trouble shooting issues on the water or at the dock that much easier as you know what went where and why.
just my .02.

Reactions: ShiverMeTimbersPNW
Upvote 0

A-K

• Jun 14, 2015
    Gig Harbor Washington
    Name
    Aaron
    Boat
    Parker 2320
    the 24 XD is the new GPS puck.

My mega buck Furuno AP on the last boat ( Coldwater ) sucked...i guess the professionals dont mind hundreds of yards of cross track error...and yes, the guy at Furuno and the setup guru at J and G both quit.....and the Furuno on the YF ( Yellowfin ) went TU...and, and....

is Kansas is Merica ? asking for a friend...

iF weekly software updates via my iphone fix that cluster, man will I be happy...
    is the Furuno AP FAP even on the network yet ?..

cause some of us have run lots of boats and lots of gear....

and oh yea, because it’s complex stuff, it won’t be perfect....
    You have owned some really nice boats. What swayed you towards North River this time?

Upvote 0

Tomictime

Crusty Old Salt
    May 9, 2014
    Poverty Bay & Carlsbad
    Name
    Jim
    Boat
    Boatless.....
    You have owned some really nice boats. What swayed you towards North River this time?
    Thank you, i have been blessed for sure. 2+ year wait to get a walk-around pilot house from Coldwater. i have run a Almar W/A PH in some nasty stuff in Padilla bay. As i get older, mostly overnighting ashore leads to less needs for creature comforts, complexity aboard. Finally , it takes awhile to sort out a design, the NR / Almar production line allows for a lot of learning and improvements to happen. I have reasonable expectations also. No boat is perfect and always represents compromise. Lordy, I do miss the 60 mph Yellowfin some days....a Redfish hunter for sure...

jim
    BFDAB718-067F-442B-B23C-74A18C845733.jpeg

Last edited:
    Reactions: liltrouble and A-K
    Upvote 0

KimH

Mar 4, 2009
    Tacoma/Westport WA/USA
    Name
    Kim
    Boat
    Good deal. I wish I would have done the same as I'm geeky enough to have handled it especially if the dealer would have given me a decent drawing like you have. The main thing that held me back was the transducer install. Not overly happy what the installer did there either. Also another disappointment I have with my install is no drawing so it's a wire-tie cutting cluster trying to figure something out. I made the mistake not asking for one from the installer. I suggest make your own drawing as you go through the process and get or use a good label maker for each wire. Label each end....really helps. I learned that on the big boats when trying to troubleshoot a problem. Wire going into a serial port on a computer to a multiplexer 20' away or even a couple deck levels away sort of thing. Labels mean a lot.

Upvote 0
    Sep 4, 2017
    Gig Harbor, Washington
    Name
    Woody
    Boat
    Duckworth XL 30
    That's one thing I'm very pleased about with my Duckworth... the wiring is well organized and labelled. Makes my old Hewescraft look like a Jr High shop project. Do they even offer shop class anymore? Did I just date myself? I'm 47 and I think I was the last generation to have that as a class.

Wifey has a label maker so I'll be marking everything.

Years ago I worked on a 107' Christiansen, so I know what you mean about having everything labelled when chasing/diagnosing issues. Big or small, a bit of organization can save a lot of headaches later.

Upvote 0

Tomictime

Crusty Old Salt
    May 9, 2014
    Poverty Bay & Carlsbad
    Name
    Jim
    Boat
    Boatless.....
    about dating myself with shop class....when I was in middle school i took all my shop class projects home because i was an “ indentured servant “ in my Dad’s world class wood, metal and pattern making shop at our home. No way i was going to use a clapped out Delta contractors saw on ..anything...Shop teacher grudgingly agreed.... my younger brother inherited the shop and now builds and rebuilds wooden boats..

This photo is of a 1954 Lyman Islander undergoing restoration by the now retired shop teacher in brothers shop....under his tutelage and the watchful eye of an ancient Delta Unisaw with a german fence...

ha, shop class indeed....
    F2B5489B-9372-41B1-A654-24141CC99035.jpeg

Upvote 0

KimH

Mar 4, 2009
    Tacoma/Westport WA/USA
    Name
    Kim
    Boat
    That's one thing I'm very pleased about with my Duckworth... the wiring is well organized and labelled. Makes my old Hewescraft look like a Jr High shop project. Do they even offer shop class anymore? Did I just date myself? I'm 47 and I think I was the last generation to have that as a class.

Years ago I worked on a 107' Christiansen, so I know what you mean about having everything labelled when chasing/diagnosing issues. Big or small, a bit of organization can save a lot of headaches later.
    I’ll be darned. I don’t remember that on the Duckworth I had. Stepping up their game which is good. Farallon’s wiring is fairly well labeled which impressed me. The electronic installer up here didn’t do that which is disappointing. The electronic techs installing stuff on the commercial boats I’ve worked on had (I think) a tube type of label maker. Shrink wrap the printed label on the wire.

And I know what Jim is talking about. Getting into spots is easier than getting out especially at my current tonnage.

Upvote 0

OMEGA

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Dec 17, 2007
    WA
    Name
    MCS
    Boat
    40 Cabo FB
    +1 for Furuno and doing as much of install as you can if capable. I do all my own and it definitely helps when trouble shooting and also making sure the areas you can't see are properly secured and organized.

If you need pro help locally Brent at Wavepoint is a Pro's Pro.

20201023_152016.jpg

Upvote 0

eldplanko

got the skunk off
    Jun 18, 2012
    Ballard
    Name
    My other boat is a piece of...
    Boat
    Floater

Here’s a tip, use label maker for the labels then cover in clear heat shrink.

Upvote 0

liltrouble

Jun 9, 2012
    ShillCreek, WA USA
    Name
    Shari
    Boat
    Mr. Buttercup
    I use this on all my wiring now. if there is a reason i can't, i label it with regular label tape. i also identify cable runs every 4-6 feet now. with more wires, it is nice to know what cable is what.

I also take a small ziplock bag, 1×1, punch a hole in it, label it and put an appropriately sized replacement fuse with dielectric grease on blades/ends, and zip tie it by any inline fuse holders. that way, if something blows, i can change it easily without delay. most things go to breakers, but some stuff still has fuses.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07H9V9Z3H?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

wdlfbio

Once you go Cat, you never go back
    Sep 15, 2008
    Olympia, WA
    Name
    laurence
    Boat
    2021 Allied WildCat 30
    I use this on all my wiring now. if there is a reason i can't, i label it with regular label tape. i also identify cable runs every 4-6 feet now. with more wires, it is nice to know what cable is what.

I also take a small ziplock bag, 1×1, punch a hole in it, label it and put an appropriately sized replacement fuse with dielectric grease on blades/ends, and zip tie it by any inline fuse holders. that way, if something blows, i can change it easily without delay. most things go to breakers, but some stuff still has fuses.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07H9V9Z3H?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title
    That’s some serious OCD preparedness. I like it!

Reactions: liltrouble
    Upvote 0