Garmin Rep? Electronics build

MatthewJ

Dec 25, 2015
Snohomish
Name
Matthew
Boat
North River Seahawk
I’m building a new boat a 30’ 9’6” Cuddy King and looking for some help my electronics. I have read some of the build threads on here and noticed there are similar pilot houses on here. If anyone can recommend a Garmin contact, or if they just want to comment on improvements the build here it is:

* Garmin 8616 Front
* Garmin 8612 Rear Helm
* Garmin GSD 25 Module
* airmar 275
* Garmin GHP20 Autopilot
* Garmin auto pilot remote
* Garmin GMR 424 xhd2 4’ Radar
* Garmin 215 VHF AIS marine radio
* Shakespeare 8' VHF Antenna
* Shakespeare 8' AIS Antenna

wdlfbio

Once you go Cat, you never go back
Sep 15, 2008
Olympia, WA
Name
laurence
Boat
2021 Allied WildCat 30
Why an array?

Upvote 0

MatthewJ

Dec 25, 2015
Snohomish
Name
Matthew
Boat
North River Seahawk
One of the questions I am trying to find out is to get a bigger array for birds maybe a older model but I’m not sure if it’s compatible.

Upvote 0

Willapa

• Mar 7, 2008
    Everett, WA
    Name
    Stu
    Boat
    24' North River Seahawk O/S
    If you get the xsv models of the chartplotters, I think you can delete the GSD 25. Also, not sure you gain much with the array vs. a dome for the radar.

Just a suggestion - I looked at the Garmin VHF radios and decided to go with an Icom 506 w/AIS and NMEA 2000. Same functionality with the chartplotter integration and I felt a better quality radio. I like the Digital brand antennas over Shakespeare. Mine is a Digital 529. I don't have a separate AIS antenna.

Reactions: GregE and Tomictime
    Upvote 0

Tomictime

Crusty Old Salt
    May 9, 2014
    Poverty Bay & Carlsbad
    Name
    Jim
    Boat
    Boatless.....
    i made very Similar choices as Willapa... XSV 12” in cab, 943 aft, , Icom radio w AIS , , GRID 20 ( which i will incorporate into seat armrest ), Digital antennas. Suggest the better Garmin AP smart pump 40, I bought my gear as a package from Johnson Hicks in Northern Calif, they shipped all gear including flush mount kits, networking gear, cables..etc to North River.

Reactions: Willapa
    Upvote 0

Tomictime

Crusty Old Salt
    May 9, 2014
    Poverty Bay & Carlsbad
    Name
    Jim
    Boat
    Boatless.....
    this is a bit out of date, but this helped me plan system, make sure nothing held up builder, etc...
    F6C01753-28C2-4831-8819-64EE24E17325.jpeg

Upvote 0

Tomictime

Crusty Old Salt
    May 9, 2014
    Poverty Bay & Carlsbad
    Name
    Jim
    Boat
    Boatless.....
    This winter I recently installed a 8610XSV and reactor 40 Ap w/Smartpump V2.

If I remember correctly you can go with 1 XSV model and network cable to the second chart plotter. Basically only having to buy 1 XSV model.
    i believe this is right depending on transducer selection

Upvote 0

wdlfbio

Once you go Cat, you never go back
    Sep 15, 2008
    Olympia, WA
    Name
    laurence
    Boat
    2021 Allied WildCat 30
    Very few of us run an array with the hope of finding tuna birds. When you’re already out in the rain or 4-5’ seas, it’s pretty tough. Then, when you do see them, they’re probably not the birds you were wanting them to be. Not saying an open array wouldn’t find birds once in a while, just cautioning on the cost to realized benefit.

Just use your AIS and dome to find other boats 5-10 miles away and then crash their bait stops 😂

I mounted 2 9” mfds on my transom and think I’m gonna enjoy them much more than one right behind the house. Extra benefit is that I can clone each of these to separate iPads and keep those IPads in the cabin along with my 12” Axiom Pro.

358325D7-A5D9-419B-AC8A-2FD22716CA99.jpeg

Reactions: liltrouble
    Upvote 0

MatthewJ

Dec 25, 2015
    Snohomish
    Name
    Matthew
    Boat
    North River Seahawk
    Okay so I will go with reactor 40 with smart pump v2, change to a digital antenna. If the icom will change that since that’s what I’m used to. I plan on going with tm265 or tm275 that are chirp transducers so I don’t think the I will need the black box since sonars are compatible. Will give Brent a call and Johnson Hicks tomorrow I heart there is a shortage of Garmin right now.

Upvote 0

Walker Inc.

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jun 24, 2013
    Gig Harbor, WA
    Name
    Patrick Walker
    Boat
    33 ft. Coldwater Walkaround
    Why Garmin when there are systems that are way more reliable, don’t depend on weekly software updates, and have customer service and tech reps in your timezone who speak English if needed. Garmin is flat fucking junk, Just facts. Not emotion.

Upvote 0

MatthewJ

Dec 25, 2015
    Snohomish
    Name
    Matthew
    Boat
    North River Seahawk
    Some great boats on here run Garmin and I have Garmin on my smaller boat have not had any issues. I have also had raymarine and can’t say the same about that. I have also fished out of pirates cove for a couple as a mate and boats there start in the millions and 90% run Garmin there and did not see any issues

Upvote 0

A-K

• Jun 14, 2015
    Gig Harbor Washington
    Name
    Aaron
    Boat
    Parker 2320
    No clue what brand is better but the few time I’ve called Garmin I have spoken with someone who spoke English and English was their first language.

Do the other brands only hire true blue Americans?

Why Garmin when there are systems that are way more reliable, don’t depend on weekly software updates, and have customer service and tech reps in your timezone who speak English if needed. Garmin is flat fucking junk, Just facts. Not emotion.

Reactions: liltrouble
    Upvote 0

A-K

• Jun 14, 2015
    Gig Harbor Washington
    Name
    Aaron
    Boat
    Parker 2320
    I’m not a professional in the industry just a weekend warrior that likes to have some fun with friends. But since 2014 I ran Garmin with just about zero problems.

Upvote 0

Pipejumper

Dec 17, 2014
    Name
    Larry
    Boat
    22' Alumaweld Intruder
    Looks like both have two network ports. If you are running multiple transducers and depending on whether you want both to see the radar, you may need a Garmin port expander.

Gps 19x nmea2000 for improved gps location.

Switch to a digital 529 antenna from Shakespeare.

Plan your nmea 2000 network to use 4 way connectors to save space and have a neater install.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

sgwill122

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Feb 21, 2011
    Redmond/WA/USA
    Name
    Stephen
    Boat
    'Lady Karen' 28 Duckworth Offshore
    Smart pump is the only way to go with Garmin, it is crazy they make you pay the premium for it but you will pay a lot more replacing their 1.2 and 2.0 liter pumps. I have Garmin VHF and also ICOM VHF which was half the price and as good if not better with AIS. I have no complaint on the MFD and support is decent, my 18xHD dome is not particularly impressive but I also have not tried messing with the settings. It paints nearby boats in the dark and fog which is the only time it is on.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

MatthewJ

Dec 25, 2015
    Snohomish
    Name
    Matthew
    Boat
    North River Seahawk
    @ pipe jumper thanks,
    I have side scan and down scan I don’t really use it so I think I’m just going to go with one transducer for now. Definitely I am going to need the Gps 19x nmea2000. I have heard of problems of tracking thru the cabin without external gps.

Upvote 0

MatthewJ

Dec 25, 2015
    Snohomish
    Name
    Matthew
    Boat
    North River Seahawk
    @SG will i am going to downsize the Radar from the array to something like the 18xhd I am the same way just turn it on to weave in and out of boats in the fog if I tuna fish I will just follow the fleet. Mostly do salmon and bottomfishing.

Reactions: sgwill122
    Upvote 0

Tomictime

Crusty Old Salt
    May 9, 2014
    Poverty Bay & Carlsbad
    Name
    Jim
    Boat
    Boatless.....
    the 24 XD is the new GPS puck.

My mega buck Furuno AP on the last boat ( Coldwater ) sucked...i guess the professionals dont mind hundreds of yards of cross track error...and yes, the guy at Furuno and the setup guru at J and G both quit.....and the Furuno on the YF ( Yellowfin ) went TU...and, and....

is Kansas is Merica ? asking for a friend...

iF weekly software updates via my iphone fix that cluster, man will I be happy...
    is the Furuno AP FAP even on the network yet ?..

cause some of us have run lots of boats and lots of gear....

and oh yea, because it’s complex stuff, it won’t be perfect....

Upvote 0

sgwill122

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Feb 21, 2011
    Redmond/WA/USA
    Name
    Stephen
    Boat
    'Lady Karen' 28 Duckworth Offshore
    I have the TM275LHW ducer. It is perfect on the drift or salmon trolling speed but while on plane I pickup interference. I can read bottom till 400-500ft on plane. If I were to do it again I would do a thru hull. If you are set on the transom mount I can make you a deal on a used unit.

Upvote 0

liltrouble

Jun 9, 2012
    ShillCreek, WA USA
    Name
    Shari
    Boat
    Mr. Buttercup
    I think going with the Reactor 40 will give you a better outcome and performance. Too many people go cheap and undersize their pilot. They will see it is rated for a certain weight vessel and max that out. You want no more than 60% or that rating. i.e. if it is rated for 12k, and boat is 11.5k, you are maxed out and that puts your pump overworked with current, wind, etc. An 8k# wet weight vessel would be more appropriately served with that rated pump. Go with the Reactor 40.

Like people have said, go with an XSV plotter. you don't need a GSD25 as it is built into the "XSV" in the 86xx models. I have both displays xsv's-- the nominal cost is worth it if there is ever an issue. I have 3 ducers hooked into my system and am adding a panoptix--you can never too many ports to plug stuff into. each 86xx has 3 transducer ports: 12 pin orange, 8-pin blue and yellow network ducer.

You shouldn't need a network port expander if you have 2 86XX's. They each have 2 network ports. 1 for radar, one for daisy chaining on each display and that leaves one port blank. Each 86xx has an HDMI in and out, so you can always add a monitor. they both have Wi-Fi.

I would get the auxillary card reader. For some dumb f#%& reason they put the card slots on the back of the plotters. I put the G3 vision micro SD in the card reader on the back as there isn't any reason to take it out. I have my data storage card in the aux card reader and that gives me one spare slot is needed for anything else.

The Fantom 18 dome has better performance than the open array you have listed. Get one with Doppler. if you want an open array, then get the Fantom 54.

Not sure what power plants you are using, but 86xx have J1939 ports. I got the Garmin Gateway cable and plugged it into my Yamaha bus and have the Yamaha screen on my displays for engine data.

There are some new N2K hubs that have 6 and 10 ports. Saves having the linear traditional backbone and having to support that. Clean install. easy for expansion.

215AIS is a good radio. It is receive only. i like it over the Icom because the screen is less cluttered. the icon had the ship locating graph that you will have happening on your chartplotter anyway.

If you are going with Shakespeare, go with 5225-XP. i went with Morad 156. They moved from Ballard to Bellingham. that is the antenna that is used on Safe Boats and Kvichak's goverment builds.

You may need an external GPS antenna on an aluminum boat. I added an GPS 24xd. My plotters are dash mounted. People have gotten by fine when their plotters are bracket mounted against a window.

You may want an N2k paddle wheel for speed through the water if you are running downriggers and want a speed through the water vs speed over ground. Or you can plug a P66 into the 8- pin port and run that. It is a 50/200 and your 1kw will be Chirp and not catch interference.

You may want a GXM54 if you are chasing tuna. It is worth looking at.

My $0.02

Reactions: Tomictime
    M
    MatthewJ
    Thanks for the reply. I am going with the phantom after doing more research. Not needing the black box and the port expander will save some money, so that’s good. Definitely going with reactor 40.
    Upvote 0