Seeking Kodak Moments
May 17, 2011
Shelton, WA Mason
www.sagecreekforums.com
Name
Greg Eastman
Boat
Kodak II - Arima SL 22
This year I have been struggling with my Garmin Fantom 18 and on the advice of their support section after going thru a bunch of checks ordered a new data cord. It came yesterday and I plugged it in just running thru the window to the radome- Nada.

Called Garmin this AM and after reviewing the steps of Power: check, data cord : check, systems: check ....
Garmin is sending a refurbished radome under warranty. It should be here Friday

I elected to receive the replacement first which required a deposit until they get mine back. But that's faster than the vice versa option - and I can use their packing material to ship mine.

I'm glad its still under warranty- it was purchased at the Portland Sportsman's Show Feb 2019.

Also glad I don't have to thread that new data cord thru the skip top support tube. ( but I'm hanging on to it until the new install works ...
:wink:
)

Also glad the mount flips so I don't have to during removal and install.

See you on the water soon........... :)

Kodak SR.jpg
2 Radar.jpg

liltrouble

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jun 9, 2012
ShillCreek, WA USA
Name
Shari
Boat
Mr. Buttercup
Did you splice the connector on the end of your data cord? And you did the cross-over cable connector instructions, right? The ends shouldn't have the same wire pin out in the connectors.

GregE

Seeking Kodak Moments
May 17, 2011
Shelton, WA Mason
www.sagecreekforums.com
Name
Greg Eastman
Boat
Kodak II - Arima SL 22
Flip is only used for getting into the shop ( travel and storage it's up) If the 'project K5 ever leaves the bay.

Original install was done by Marine electrician Tim in Olympia. System worked great last year. He did tell me Garmin RG45 wiring has two pin locations reversed from 'all others' making proprietary cable necessary. Paid more from a Garmin source due to that.
Did not shorten the new 20' cable- just ran it through the open window and ensured a solid insertion.

Good questions though- thanks.
G

GregE

Seeking Kodak Moments
May 17, 2011
Shelton, WA Mason
www.sagecreekforums.com
Name
Greg Eastman
Boat
Kodak II - Arima SL 22
Flip is only used to get under the 11' bay opening- if the project K5 ever leaves the bay...

New Garmin cable ordered and used. My marine electrician installer cautioned that generic cables won't work- Garmin has reversed two wires that make it necessary to buy proprietary cable

Good questions though, thanks
G
22 front.jpg
22 front.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: liltrouble

The Peddler

Living vicariously through others.
May 28, 2008
Olympia, WA
Name
Matt
Boat
2400 SeaSport Explorer - "Permanent Waves"
Glad Garmin is taking care of you!

Project K5? Greg, you of all people know the rule about pictures!

Reactions: TwoTapPat

liltrouble

Jun 9, 2012
ShillCreek, WA USA
Name
Shari
Boat
Mr. Buttercup
Not proprietary. i have 500 for spools of cable and build my own. I did use their connectors though. I like their hd connectors with the foil to wrap. This little contraption to test cables is a good tool. Has different light patterns for straight and cross. i have had one wire drive me sideways....

20200804_202031.jpg

Reactions: gabe0308

GregE

Seeking Kodak Moments
May 17, 2011
Shelton, WA Mason
www.sagecreekforums.com
Name
Greg Eastman
Boat
Kodak II - Arima SL 22
Project K5? Greg, you of all people know the rule about pictures!

Matt, I should have written Judy's K5 Blazer Chalet project that hasn't moved in 10 years. They only made them for 1.5 years. You see more of the little Toyota Chalet campers.
I'll find some pics

Reactions: Wild Bill

The Peddler

Living vicariously through others.
May 28, 2008
Olympia, WA
Name
Matt
Boat
2400 SeaSport Explorer - "Permanent Waves"
That’s cool! There’s a version with a pop-up camper on Craigslist lately.
00C0C_c6VwzuqvK1E_600x450.jpg

Last edited:

Ugly Bayliner

Sep 18, 2008
Olympia, Wa USA
Name
Steve Ericsson
Boat
20' Ugly Bayliner
Not proprietary. i have 500 for spools of cable and build my own. I did use their connectors though. I like their hd connectors with the foil to wrap. This little contraption to test cables is a good tool. Has different light patterns for straight and cross. i have had one wire drive me sideways....

View attachment 1180326
I like your test set, that’s excellent! I use their cable and cut one end off and just duplicate the wiring pin out with an RJ45 EZ connector. I’ve installed at least 5 Garmin Radars on my arches and never had a problem. It’s the cross pin that gets people screwed up. It’s a standard pin out on a lot of network and audio gear.

Reactions: liltrouble

fishbadger

Apr 6, 2012
WA
Name
fishbadger
Boat
.Grady Gulfstream 232 "Herd of Turtles"
I have that radar too, and have nothing but good things to report for a few years now. It was invaluable driving around in the fog last weekend up in 4 (liking the doppler feature). I've had a few things (Garmin hardware) fail me over the last 10 years, but I've also had J&G do my installs. My experience when I have a failure, particularly when it's still under warranty, is that I call Ken, and he just makes it fixed. . .takes care of all the phone calls/paperwork/shipping, etc, and replaces the hardware quickly. That's been my experience anyways. Hope yours goes well,
fb