thesaltyhooker

Almost A Member
Oct 25, 2018
Renton
Name
Anders
Boat
North River Seahawk
Went out to go fish for some coho this morning. Launch the boat. Fire up electronics. All is good. Motor to the spot. Transducer won’t read bottom. Still reads temp no problem.
The picture below is what I was seeing on the screen.
Garmin 942xs, airmar tm185hw transducer. Both only a few years old. Never run the ducer out of water.
Thought maybe the transducer got kicked up running out, checked it all good. No cracks. No seaweed, nothing. Connections are all good.
Anyone have any ideas? Tried a factory reset and no change
The only thing I’ve changed since my last trip out was adding an additional garmin 942 (used) into the n2k network. But it had its own dedicated power source at the fuse panel. Not shared.

FEEA230D-76D9-4CC3-B3D1-AF900BD01A2D.jpeg

Upvote 0

kwik_wurk

Apr 10, 2012
Indianola & Browns Point
Name
kwik_wurk
Boat
Montauk, Sailfish 2360, and Johnson18
Well it’s reading the ducer, and obviously giving a temp.

What happens when you manually set the depth? (like 150’ when you’re in 100’ of water)

And factory reset of the Garmin or just the ducer settings. (or restore default)

And why N2K to the 942 vs networked?

Either way, disconnect the other unit, and see what happens.

Reactions: liltrouble

thesaltyhooker

Almost A Member
Oct 25, 2018
Renton
Name
Anders
Boat
North River Seahawk
Well it’s reading the ducer, and obviously giving a temp.

What happens when you manually set the depth? (like 150’ when you’re in 100’ of water)

And factory reset of the Garmin or just the ducer settings. (or restore default)

And why N2K to the 942 vs networked?

Either way, disconnect the other unit, and see what happens.
I tried manually setting the depth and got no change. I factory reset both the garmin unit and the ducer settings. the 942 is just networked via n2k to read show AIS targets. the 942 is used for mapping/radar as the screens are side by side. One for sonar, one for map/radar use.
i tried cutting power to the second unit and also no change.

Upvote 0

A-K

• Jun 14, 2015
    Gig Harbor Washington
    Name
    Aaron
    Boat
    Parker 2320
    I have the same ducer. Same problem from time to time. This works for me.

Take it off “auto” then zoom out until you hit bottom (I can’t remember if it’s the minus or plus).

Reactions: PNW Drifter
    Upvote 0

thesaltyhooker

Almost A Member
    Oct 25, 2018
    Renton
    Name
    Anders
    Boat
    North River Seahawk
    I have the same ducer. Same problem from time to time. This works for me.

Take it off “auto” then zoom out until you hit bottom (I can’t remember if it’s the minus or plus).
    Tried that a few times. No luck. When it happens to you does it also not give you the depth reading itself? Also the choppiness is what’s odd. It’s like it’s searching for bottom lock but can’t find anything. Regardless, even taking it off auto and Zooming out was no change

Upvote 0

kwik_wurk

Apr 10, 2012
    Indianola & Browns Point
    Name
    kwik_wurk
    Boat
    Montauk, Sailfish 2360, and Johnson18
    Ok, so you have a radar that’s occupying the other network port. (makes sense)

So these have been done:
    -depth setting auto/manual
    -ducer default restore
    -garmin factory reset
    -full on/off/off sequence

Still recommend disconnecting the other unit from N2K for a simple test.

Leave the unit at a fixed depth that makes sense for the current depth. Rather than let it cycle and try and find a depth.

Can you check that the gain settings, surface noise, etc are all set to default. (should be for full reset)

Also what else is running (on)? Engine, VHF, radio?, scotties?

Reactions: liltrouble
    Upvote 0

thesaltyhooker

Almost A Member
    Oct 25, 2018
    Renton
    Name
    Anders
    Boat
    North River Seahawk
    Ok, so you have a radar that’s occupying the other network port. (makes sense)

So these have been done:
    -depth setting auto/manual
    -ducer default restore
    -garmin factory reset
    -full on/off/off sequence

Still recommend disconnecting the other unit from N2K for a simple test.

Leave the unit at a fixed depth that makes sense for the current depth. Rather than let it cycle and try and find a depth.

Can you check that the gain settings, surface noise, etc are all set to default. (should be for full reset)

Also what else is running (on)? Engine, VHF, radio?, scotties?
    My first test is going to be completely remove the second screen from the n2k network, disconnect power from the fuse panel.
    If i had a n2k terminator on board i would have tried while out today. after that, i am going to borrow another headunit to plug in just to see. i will do these and go drop it in the lake to test.
    Engine on or off did not make any difference, same with kicker. VHF was on, the only radio i use is a bluetooth speaker. scotties plugged in.
    the ONLY change since my last outing was adding the new (used) 942 screen to the network. i dont see how it could have screwed it up, but wondering if it cross referenced some settings or something...no idea at this point.
    again the weirdest part was that it worked while motoring out of the marina, then shit the bed.
    the transducer is only 2 years old, and never run out of water.

Upvote 0

sickcat

Silverback
    Aug 5, 2003
    LA
    Name
    Kerry
    Boat
    Yellow spot
    I would check with Gil - Semperfifishing here @ BD

Sounds like your not the only one with the problem. While it could be a hardware issue it could also be software that an update might fix.

Upvote 0

A-K

• Jun 14, 2015
    Gig Harbor Washington
    Name
    Aaron
    Boat
    Parker 2320
    Not the same problem but may help you trouble shoot.

I had problems with my radar once. The network (for lack of better description) would not recognize it. I had to manually force a update on the system with a micro SD card (not WiFi).

Upvote 0

thesaltyhooker

Almost A Member
    Oct 25, 2018
    Renton
    Name
    Anders
    Boat
    North River Seahawk
    update.
    my cousin has a north river 27OS being built right now and luckily has his full suite of garmin crap sitting at his house.
    had him run down this afternoon and we dumped the boat in the lake.
    same issue as this morning. completely removed the second screen, all factory resets, etc.
    took his transducer and hung it over the side and plugged it in.
    bingo bango, money.
    so seems like my airmar just took a crap.
    i purchased from BOEmarine.com and called this morning and they got me an RMA to send it to airmar for testing and possible replacement.
    super easy company to work with.

Last edited:
    A-K
    A-K
    Glad you got it sorted out. I had a thru hull transducer go out on me this year so feel your pain.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

Latest posts