Garmin EchoMap Sideview/ClearVu in deep H20

jbl_91762

Sep 23, 2017
CHINO
Name
JOEY
Boat
KAYAK
Was wondering if you gents utilize the Sideview or Clear Vu screens on your Garmin....or other FF with these features when fishing SoCal waters. Reason I ask is cause I am thinking my CV52HW that came stock with my 73SV is crap and I need to get a better one. Or I just still need to learn how to adjust the settings. Could be both and just want to work with the unit I have. Seems I cant read anything moving faster then 5 mph. I emailed Garmin and they asked if I needed all the features (sideview,clearvu) or just traditional. Since I primarily fish LA/OC inshore and Catalina was wondering If I need a transducer to maximize all features. Thanks as usual.

acefuture

@acecraftco
Apr 3, 2019
Costa Mesa, CA
Name
Ace
Boat
Always changing
Make sure your ducer is set up correctly. I use the sidevu quite a bit when searching for structure. You can cover way more ground in a shorter time. Do a side by side view of sonar and sidevu and when you see structure to your side, go back over it with sonar and see what it looks like sonar and clearvu to see if there’s fish on it

eliner

Almost A Member
Aug 10, 2008
PACIFIC GROVE/CA/USA
Name
DAVID
Boat
E-LINER
I have a thru hull transducer on my garmin 7610 that shows everything at running speeds. Makes huge difference.

Had hummingbird sidescan that was mounted on transom that would only give good shot at slow speeds, even added another transducer on other side to reduce turbulence. Helped but voted against transom mount when I upgraded.
Thru hull is not cheap but worth it .

I be same issue with 7610 if I went with transom mount though.

jbl_91762

Sep 23, 2017
CHINO
Name
JOEY
Boat
KAYAK
I have a thru hull transducer on my garmin 7610 that shows everything at running speeds. Makes huge difference.

Had hummingbird sidescan that was mounted on transom that would only give good shot at slow speeds, even added another transducer on other side to reduce turbulence. Helped but voted against transom mount when I upgraded.
Thru hull is not cheap but worth it .

I be same issue with 7610 if I went with transom mount though.

Thanks, I considered thruhull but for my old boat I'd rather not spend the money and will cope with trans mount.

eliner

Almost A Member
Aug 10, 2008
PACIFIC GROVE/CA/USA
Name
DAVID
Boat
E-LINER
there are no settings to reduce side scan noise on transom mount that I found helped. To much turbulence from boat and prop. I spent alot of time trying everything, calling support, adding the transducer to other side. I think you are stuck at slow speeds.
I even thought about a rod that would lower in the water below turbulance and raise when running, but i would forget it was down and screw it up.
the thru hull is about 2 feet in from of the motor, just even with bottom of hull on V.

Good luck

Reactions: jbl_91762

Dragon

It is what it is...
May 24, 2006
SLO Co.
Name
Paul
Boat
22' Pro Sport CC / 20' Skipjack Open
I have a Garmin Echo Map 94sv Chirp. With the Clear Vu / Side Vu Xducer. It will work better if you drop it down. below the bottom edge of the hull. So the whole Xducer is below the bottom of the boat.. The adjustment screws wont travel that far so you will probably need to re drill the transom. I was able to reuse some previously mounted holes. There is a UTube of how it should be. I went from Nothing but clutter at minimal speed to Nice picture at 20+. I think I need to pick up the trailing edge just a touch to get it all the way where it needs to be...You will be shooting a rooster tail but who cares...now its time to get the fine adjustment the rest of the way with the gain adjustments...Try That...I like most now realize for best results you Gotta spend the Gingua!! $$$$$ on the transducer...

Last edited:

jbl_91762

Sep 23, 2017
CHINO
Name
JOEY
Boat
KAYAK
I have a Garmin Echo Map 94sv Chirp. With the Clear Vu / Side Vu Xducer. It will work better if you drop it down. below the bottom edge of the hull. So the whole Xducer is below the bottom of the boat.. The adjustment screws wont travel that far so you will probably need to re drill the transom. I was able to reuse some previously mounted holes. There is a UTube of how it should be. I went from Nothing but clutter at minimal speed to Nice picture at 20+. I think I need to pick up the trailing edge just a touch to get it all the way where it needs to be...You will be shooting a rooster tail but who cares...now its time to get the fine adjustment the rest of the way with the gain adjustments...Try That...I like most now realize for best results you Gotta spend the Gingua!! $$$$$ on the transducer...

I was looking at the ducer just yesterday and was thinking of lowering it as far as possible. There is a little more room on the mounting plate so I can drop it a few more cm's. If that dont work I will McGyver something to drop it even further and also maybe get that splash plate Garmin sells. Appreciate it Capt!

Dragon

It is what it is...
May 24, 2006
SLO Co.
Name
Paul
Boat
There is a seam where the upper and lower part of the transducer are put together (not the bracket) I have that seam even with the bottom of the hull on the center line side. So the outboard side is totally below the hull...A little "Lower" could be even better?
GL... Paul

samotlietuvis

Feb 2, 2019
Palmdale, CA
Name
Tomas
Boat
Sea Hunt Victory 207

Hi - can you post picture of your transducer install? Got 94sv echomap uhd transducer to install. Thanks.

Dragon

It is what it is...
May 24, 2006
SLO Co.
Name
Paul
Boat
If you notice when I reset the bracket I put all the adjustment back in the slotted hole travel...So it only going further "Down" I know Up is worse...GL

Side Vu TX (2).jpg

Side Vu Tx.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: jbl_91762