G-Spot

Captain
Mar 14, 2008
Salem/OR/USA
Name
John
Boat
53’ Hatteras STEEL N TIME
I'd be even happier if at least HALF the sport boats even HAD a compass on them!

WD
Pretty sure you’re just board looking for drama on that comment.... I’ve seen very few sport boats without a compass.... Here’s your drama reply... Dave’s was a bit far fetched as 99% of sporties can follow a needle on a compass, but your comment is just fishing for replies when you’re board... Common!

A bunch of legend in their own mind!

KimH

Someday I'll live the dream.
Mar 4, 2009
Tacoma/Westport WA/USA
Name
Kim
Boat
26' Duckworth..."Mayhem"
Pretty sure you’re just board looking for drama on that comment.... I’ve seen very few sport boats without a compass.... Here’s your drama reply... Dave’s was a bit far fetched as 99% of sporties can follow a needle on a compass, but your comment is just fishing for replies when you’re board... Common!

Needle??? What are you talking about??:D:D
5B02A477-9A9C-4C63-B3AC-BEA8550CEEA1.jpeg

liltrouble

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jun 9, 2012
ShillCreek, WA USA
Name
Shari
Boat
Mr. Buttercup
One of the things i ask customers who bring their new, shiny aluminum and fiberglass boats in to be rigged "Do you want us to add a compass?"

You would be surprised at the number of builders who no longer install compasses on their builds. Can pretty much guarantee anything under 22 won't have a compass.

What is worse is the number of people who think there cell phone is an adequate substitute.

KimH

Someday I'll live the dream.
Mar 4, 2009
Tacoma/Westport WA/USA
Name
Kim
Boat
26' Duckworth..."Mayhem"
Do any o
One of the things i ask customers who bring their new, shiny aluminum and fiberglass boats in to be rigged "Do you want us to add a compass?"

You would be surprised at the number of builders who no longer install compasses on their builds. Can pretty much guarantee anything under 22 won't have a compass.

What is worse is the number of people who think there cell phone is an adequate substitute.
Do any of the builders install a compass as standard equipment anymore? I had to install one on my Duck and will have to do the same on the Farallon. I think one of the problems there isn’t a lot of dash left once you slap a monitor or two in. Bummer that Captains is closed...might have to try to find one online. More than likely a bracket mount Ritchie.

Dash One

Stand By
Sep 18, 2008
Anacortes, WA
Name
Jay
Boat
21’ Bayrunner Skiff
693378B2-EB56-4DCF-B15F-4D7811D51B4C.jpeg

I chose this Plastimo bearing compass for my last two boats. Using the bracket (very sturdy) allowed me to mount in a convenient place ... away from most sources (electrical/ferrous metals)that can effect the compass, and to preserve precious dash space. It will mount either horizontally or vertically. On one boat I mounted it just outboard of the helm - vertically on the bulkhead. On another boat I mounted it overhead, and it never came out of the mounting bracket. I know these locations were not quite ideal, but it worked well fo me. And, if you ever want to take a hand bearing, or throw it in a ditch bag, you have the right tool. They make a model that takes a battery for a backlight. I found it to be well made and of good quality. You could also look at a different type of bulkhead compass if that would work.

Jay

Reactions: KimH

Dave's Delta

"No, we're not catching"
Apr 9, 2009
Auburn & Westport, WA.
Name
Dave
Boat
Looking for a Delta

Ahh the turtle is back at it.

Open your mind to the possibilities of difference and don’t make the mistake and assume everyone can follow a compass heading. It’s shocking how many can’t. Hewescraft has become a verb in Westport.
WD is correct., I was trying to be 1/2 way PC. Thanks for keeping it real. Mounted Compasses with deviation cards should be an absolute must. It’s shocking they aren’t to some of us. M The absolute dependence on electronics, constant 12 volts, and an IPhone for when the shit hits the fan especially while running offshore blows me away.

G-Spot

Captain
Mar 14, 2008
Salem/OR/USA
Name
John
Boat

Open your mind to the possibilities of difference and don’t make the mistake and assume everyone can follow a compass heading. It’s shocking how many can’t. Hewescraft has become a verb in Westport.
WD is correct., I was trying to be 1/2 way PC. Thanks for keeping it real. Mounted Compasses with deviation cards should be an absolute must. It’s shocking they aren’t to some of us. M The absolute dependence on electronics, constant 12 volts, and an IPhone for when the shit hits the fan especially while running offshore blows me away.
Well Dave, you changed the rules mid stream, that’s a Biden move there. Not a single sporty will have a deviation card, so you win....Nor did anyone say anything about a deviation card... I don’t agree that WD is correct and less than 50% of the sporty’s have a compass....

I think you’re trying to puff out you chest and feel big because you actually know what a deviation card is and the majority on this board won’t even know what one is..... You’re amazing, you’re so great, you have a Captain’s License and a deviation card.....

But.... I also think that is ridiculous, that a sporty would have a deviation card, especially since most of them don’t even have paper charts.

This board is a good representation of sporty’s. Just because you joined BD you didn’t suddenly become a non sporty, so let’s just take a vote of how many members actually have a compass on board and can head East if they lost there electronics and phone...... My guess dar more than 50% of these “sporty’s” have a compass and can follow it...

🖕

G-Spot

Captain
Mar 14, 2008
Salem/OR/USA
Name
John
Boat

As for your tasteless, spineless, little title dig... You can suck it... As a professional mariner you of all people I hope you never have to experience what I have, but constant clowns like you want to throw your little dig to discredit... It’s happened to a lot of people, and it happened to me. The more time you spend the better your odds are that it could be your time. I have thousands of hours, and multiple oceans, and multiple countries.... It can happen... I hope it never happens again, but It could, on any given day things happen...

Truth is you’re a puss gut who doesn’t navigate more than any of these sporty’s do with actual charts, compass, deviation, and planning a route... Chances are you couldn’t actually plan a route properly... A guy like Kim is the real deal.. the average captain up and down our coast doesn’t use that shit... there is absolutely no reason to, You jump in your boat and go to previously saved locations, just like anyone else... If your electronics shit, you turn and head back on a compass just like before electronics... So pounds sand douche bag...

Last edited: