MYNomad

Heading South
Dec 12, 2007
Pacific Northwest / West Coast Mexico
Name
Rick
Boat
Yes
Dead reckoning is great if your crossing the Atlantic on the mayflower, not realistic in coastal waters, especially if your doing visual navigation.

Not THAT long ago, deduced reckoning was that ONLY way to go, unless you had an RDF (which didn't really help that much). I believe mastering that skill made me a better, safer, boater today. Just like, when I was in high school, before handheld calculators, it was common to use a slide rule. Those of us who mastered it became much better at math as a result. Just for kicks, once in a while I run with just a watch and compass. Highly recommended.

Upvote 0

Baby J

Grady prick in training
  • Jul 28, 2017
    Graham, WA
    Name
    Jeremy
    Boat
    Grady White 265 Express Walkaround
    I just started wondering if taking it on and off the power source does something harmful. I always make sure it’s shut down first. I’m just thankful I had all my cords/numbers backed up this time.

Upvote 0

gonzo25

GOT A BIG ONE
    Nov 20, 2008
    san diego calif. usa
    Name
    george
    Boat
    18' Invader CC 15' bayliner son of a beach
    Okay there are three different formats, decimal degrees, degrees and decimal minutes, and my favorite, degrees minutes and seconds.

what do the symbols mean, how does it relate to time, and what do the numbers mean? the ' foot symbol means minutes and the " inch symbol means seconds. there are 60 miles between degrees, just like 60 min. in an hour.l.. each min equals a mile, if you are located half way between mile one and mile two, that would be one minute and 30 sec.

What is North? There are three, Grid North, True north, and Magnetic north
    The stars don't move, the earth does, except at it's axis. there is a star, polaras right about the north pole, we call it the north star this is true north, your compass works off of the magnetic pull of the earth, thus magnetic north.
    I dealt with a decent dude at Garmin today who was helpful and understood how a customer should be treated. He verified the unit was under warranty and they are replacing the head unit with a brand new one. I think the first guy I talked to would be better suited working at the DMV or something similar. I'm glad it will be resolved but a little worried it will happen again. Do you guys think I should leave it in the docking station (or whatever you call it) rather than take it inside the house after every trip?

I think it is easier on them not getting moved after they have been used, warm from use, and we I don't know if power goes through them to store your settings or date and time but this could also help reduce the power surge that happens when things are powered up, like I said I don't know if they are like that or not but the things that is the hardest on all electronic things is heat and that power surge. just a thought. glad it worked out and did you bite your tongue and keep a cool head when you were dealing with the second guy. Garmin really does have the best CS i have dealt with, 180 from Lowrance. These assholes jacked me around until my warrenty was almost over and wouldn't fix my elite that had a problem they knew it had from the get go that they fixed with the newer ones but wouldn't replace it with a new one because they were touch screen, no offer to give me a refund or to pay a little more and get the touch screen they just replaced it with a lesser model the Hook which was such a piece of shit I took it out a month later and got the Garmin. After a year I had forgotten just how bad it was and put it back in because I am used to running two, after a month it was a bigger piece of shit than I remembered and took it out, walked straight over to the trash can and threw it away. The only positive thing I can say for them is it caused me to buy a Humminbird which was the best thing I could have done so for that I say thank you Lowrance other wise I wouldnt have one if I had room for a hundred of them shoved up my ass sideways>

Reactions: Baby J
    Upvote 0

eldplanko

got the skunk off
    Jun 18, 2012
    Ballard
    Name
    My other boat is a piece of...
    Boat
    Floater
    I was actually just joking around... it is a good skill to learn and makes you a better captain... now sextant.. forget it!

Upvote 0

So Cal

Aug 18, 2016
    Burien
    Name
    J B
    Boat
    La Maya (Pursuit 2470)
    FURUNO.........

IF it breaks, which is rare, or usually self inflicted(my case) you drive to Camas, WA, deliver the machine, fill up your coffe cup at the receiving desk, go down the street, have breakfast, and they will call you when it’s done. You can get the tour, a Coffe cup, and be taken care of. It was the best customer service experience of my life. BY FAR!

AND they gave me a spare new MFDBB processor(6k$$) to keep as a spare for the summer just in case. Unreal.

View attachment 1198721

View attachment 1198722

View attachment 1198723

View attachment 1198724
    I was just there.. best customer service by far Alan kicks ass.. coffee mug, long sleeve tees and a tour of facility. Even offered to come out to Westport to make sure my unit was working and set up properly.

Upvote 0

G-Spot

Captain
  • Mar 14, 2008
    Salem/OR/USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    53’ Hatteras STEEL N TIME
    I dealt with a decent dude at Garmin today who was helpful and understood how a customer should be treated. He verified the unit was under warranty and they are replacing the head unit with a brand new one. I think the first guy I talked to would be better suited working at the DMV or something similar. I'm glad it will be resolved but a little worried it will happen again. Do you guys think I should leave it in the docking station (or whatever you call it) rather than take it inside the house after every trip?

I think plugging and unplugging so much can wear the plug. I would put dielectric grease and leave it all the time.

Upvote 0

gonzo25

GOT A BIG ONE
    Nov 20, 2008
    san diego calif. usa
    Name
    george
    Boat
    Problems like this is why I run 2 different brands in the same boat at the same time. Currently, those units are Furuno and Humminbird. I also keep a handheld Garmin GPS that runs on batteries aboard in the event of total power failure.
    Never completely trust anything electronic or mechanical and have a backup for everything.
    The ultimate backup is up to date charts, a quality compass, and the ability to use them proficiently.
    [QUOTE}

This sounds really good, I like running two fish finders so i can compare the readings and try to get the most accurate info possible. I also run two different brands. Normally, being the asshole that I am, I might asks some questions to find out if this guy is just talking shit or if he knows what he is talking about with the end game being to let everyone reading it and wanting to do it too find out the ins and outs of it. I am sure he does, and I want you to think about some things if this sounds good to you. First of all doing this with the same brand is easiest because you can run a splitter from the transducer to both head units This might not be possible with two different brands but for arguments sake we will say it is The transducer plays a major role in how your unit works, both good and bad, SO it will have the same effect on both units. So you run separate transducers for each unit. To avoid prop wash they need to be mounted on the right side and distance from the prop, if the transducers or the cable are mounted close to each other they can produce interference and not work right. I simply have one transom mounted and one thru hull and run the wire on opposite sides of the boat. Here is the big issue in my opinion, most people don't know how to set them up to get the most out of them and it takes a while to learn how to use them to get the most out of them, you just doubled that problem because even though they will be similar they are different, so if you have the patience to spend the time to learn them both then i highly recommend it just wanted to let you know what to expect if you do this. Lots of benefits but come at a price, as in time and money

Upvote 0

gonzo25

GOT A BIG ONE
    Nov 20, 2008
    san diego calif. usa
    Name
    george
    Boat
    I was actually just joking around... it is a good skill to learn and makes you a better captain... now sextant.. forget it!

Now youre talking about real sailors. not so good in the fog, but definitely old school.
    Today we have a hard time getting people to understand that Polaras is the north star, that it doesn't move like he other stars, because none of the stars move, it's the earth that moves. it all makes perfect sense with the right person giving the explanations... that is why some people make better teachers than others... wish i was one of them.

Reactions: cchris
    Upvote 0

gonzo25

GOT A BIG ONE
    Nov 20, 2008
    san diego calif. usa
    Name
    george
    Boat
    Fuck You @dragonballs @Jason @Marlin Mike

Stop Fucking with my Avatar; Jason! I Play Nice. Don't pick on you or Pull your Chain. Those 2 Homos mentioned above are both The Pot fucking with the Kettle. Please Stop!

John I think they simply need to learn if they poke the goat, they will get the horn. I am sure you know what I mean.

These are the kind of people that made hank williams write that song about assholes, we all know a few of them.

Reactions: goatram
    Upvote 0

Baby J

Grady prick in training
  • Jul 28, 2017
    Graham, WA
    Name
    Jeremy
    Boat
    Grady White 265 Express Walkaround
    I did talk to someone today and this is resolved from a customer service standpoint. I didn’t go off like a lunatic on the first conversation or anything. I was very nice and was willing to do whatever it took to get a fair outcome. The dude basically just said we don’t have parts or replacement units so you are out of luck. I only got passionate when the guy got out out of pocket talking about its a warranty not a guarantee. Like I said, I’m good now but annoyed it took so much effort to get something so simple handled.

Upvote 0

hawkplayer32

GOOD DEAL
    Aug 6, 2012
    Valencia, CA
    Name
    Anthony Hicks
    Boat
    Good Deal
    This is why I buy all my stuff at west marine (they price match) and just buy their warranty.
    Have any issues and just bring it back to the store and get a new one. No questions asked.

Upvote 0

KimH

Someday I'll live the dream.
    Mar 4, 2009
    Tacoma/Westport WA/USA
    Name
    Kim
    Boat
    28' Farallon Walkaround "Paragon"
    Okay there are three different formats, decimal degrees, degrees and decimal minutes, and my favorite, degrees minutes and seconds.

what do the symbols mean, how does it relate to time, and what do the numbers mean? the ' foot symbol means minutes and the " inch symbol means seconds. there are 60 miles between degrees, just like 60 min. in an hour.l.. each min equals a mile, if you are located half way between mile one and mile two, that would be one minute and 30 sec.>
    I little clarification here.
    One minute of latitude on a N/S line equals a mile. IE if your course is straight North or South then one minute of latitude equals a mile. The only place one minute of longitude equals a mile is on the equator. Longitudinal lines come together at the poles so the distances between the lines vary depending on what latitude you are at.

The sun travels 15 degrees of longitude in one hour.

Upvote 0

G-Spot

Captain
  • Mar 14, 2008
    Salem/OR/USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    53’ Hatteras STEEL N TIME
    For some reason you don’t see anything but Furuno on all the sportboats. Same on my boat.

If only this statement was even close to true.... I see lots of everything on sport boats, lots of Lowrance (probably price), lots of Raymarine and Garmin.

The real place where you see a dominant market is professional mariners. I feel Furuno has a larger market share in the professional arena, not sport.

Reactions: DEEP MAGIK
    Upvote 0

gonzo25

GOT A BIG ONE
    Nov 20, 2008
    san diego calif. usa
    Name
    george
    Boat
    I little clarification here.
    One minute of latitude on a N/S line equals a mile. IE if your course is straight North or South then one minute of latitude equals a mile. The only place one minute of longitude equals a mile is on the equator. Longitudinal lines come together at the poles so the distances between the lines vary depending on what latitude you are at.

The sun travels 15 degrees of longitude in one hour.

this is true, i was trying to give a quick and easy to understand explanation of why they use min. and sec without being to confusing. This is why I didn't go into detail with North.... true north and mag. north and how to syc them. also why good maps have the info listed and marine charts are usually in mag. north

Upvote 0

Wild Bill

Not Blackmouthing
    Aug 4, 2010
    Camano Island
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    Otter Craft
    While it is a good skill to have, full size nautical charts and the space and lighting to use plotting tools on the chart are kind of hard to come by on many of our boats. I know I am not set up to for it on my boat, so my back up plan is a second independent raymarine mfd that came with the boat in case my garmin system shits the bed.

Upvote 0

KimH

Mar 4, 2009
    Tacoma/Westport WA/USA
    Name
    Kim
    Boat
    N
    this is true, i was trying to give a quick and easy to understand explanation of why they use min. and sec without being to confusing. This is why I didn't go into detail with North.... true north and mag. north and how to syc them. also why good maps have the info listed and marine charts are usually in mag. north
    Nautical charts are displayed as “True North”. Magnetic is shown in the compass rose printed on the chart as well as the Variation for the area of the chart but the chart itself is drawn True. Regardless it’s all a flat projection of an area off of a sphere.

Upvote 0

gonzo25

GOT A BIG ONE
    Nov 20, 2008
    san diego calif. usa
    Name
    george
    Boat
    my source of info is "map tools" which say maps use true north but most marine charts use mag. north, which makes the most sense to me since most boats have a compass.

Upvote 0

KimH

Mar 4, 2009
    Tacoma/Westport WA/USA
    Name
    Kim
    Boat
    my source of info is "map tools" which say maps use true north but most marine charts use mag. north, which makes the most sense to me since most boats have a compass.
    Map tools is wrong If that’s what it says. Take a look at the compass rose on a paper nautical chart. It’ll show you mag North and that doesn’t match how the longitude lines are drawn. That‘s why there is the little jingles such as “Can dead men vote twice” which help you convert a magnetic heading to true so you can plot properly on a paper chart. I’ve forgotten it all since we’ve been using gyros or sat compasses for years and about the only time we pull paper out of the drawer is when we do corrections which are a pain in the ass.

Reactions: G-Spot
    Upvote 0

gonzo25

GOT A BIG ONE
    Nov 20, 2008
    san diego calif. usa
    Name
    george
    Boat
    Map tools is wrong If that’s what it says. Take a look at the compass rose on a paper nautical chart. It’ll show you mag North and that doesn’t match how the longitude lines are drawn. That‘s why there is the little jingles such as “Can dead men vote twice” which help you convert a magnetic heading to true so you can plot properly on a paper chart. I’ve forgotten it all since we’ve been using gyros or sat compasses for years and about the only time we pull paper out of the drawer is when we do corrections which are a pain in the ass.

I don't ever do this and was going off memory of what I had read and I did mis quote map tools saying "most" instead of "many" my bad. If that is the worst mistake I ever make, I can live with it. I spent my time to try and give these guys an idea of what it is they are looking at and how it works, their gps that is, trying to make a simple explanation they will understand and not so technical they can't follow it or feel like it is to complicated and they end up not getting anything from it. Typically you will never get a thank you for making the effort and spending your time, and you can count on a response from some asshole trying to prove you wrong and make you look bad. Of course you want to defend yourself and get into a pissing contest to show you aren't stupid, when the only person who matters already knows. 99 per cent of the time it's from someone who has no clue what they are talking about, The ones smart enough to know are smart enough to understand you are trying to keep it simple and easy to get Then you have that one asshole who looses the point of what it is all about and their ego wants everyone to think they really know their shit but don't want to give their time and effort to help some of these people but are quick to spend that time and effort to nit pic anything you say. I always wonder what the end game is? is it a personal thing, is it an ego thing, are they just an asshole, do they think that there is something positive, that people are learning, or is he adding to their confusion by making it to technical, does he even care as long as he looks good? I don't know, and it doesn't matter because I already knew what he was talking about. This is just an example of what to expect for trying help and why people say fuck it I don't need the bullshit, there is nothing in it for me, and they quit giving those fish reports, or try to help people when they are asking if anyone knows....
    There is someone here that seems pretty knowledgeable about the subject, why haven't you stepped some of these guys out on some basics, I am sure you have seen and heard what I have... Okay maybe you haven't because i am used to dealing with Kalifags and the guys up here a little more together, but I am sure there must be a few who don't know no one was born with the knowledge. Any of them unaware there are three different formats and clueless what they mean or can take the gps co-ordinance and put it on a chart. Instead of trying to nit pick my attempt to give them some basic understanding of what the shit is, how lost would they be if I start talking about declination and how important is it to understand what your gps is saying and figuring out where you are at on a chart?
    It wasn't about me saying look how much I know I'm so cool, it is about passing on some info so they can understand a tool they use all the time but don't understand all they could... look at the responses, do you think if they would have known the answers they wouldn't have said something? Based on what you said this is something you have done a lot, possibly for a living, l am like the guy who learned it in school but never used it. If we were talking about things involving my profession I could make you look like an idiot, would I? never, that is for people who are insecure or have an ego problem, I am neither. I like to share what I have learned and I like seeing people who will make an effort to learn new things. Do I think I know it all? Certainly not, i wish I did but no one does. Those who think they do, don't, but they know as much as they ever will.
    I made a reference to and am aware of the information on maps and charts to do declination but it would be like talking about adding and subtracting and then asking them to figure the hypotenuse of a right triangle, you can do that right? How many guys reading this are saying, what in the fuck is a hypotenuse?

from map tools
    Choosing a North Reference, for your Map, your Compass, and your GPS
    You may have choices to make between north references on your map and your compass. Your GPS can be set to use any of the three common references. When the north references are different between your map, compass, and GPS, 
you will need to do conversions as you move bearings between them.

North Reference on your Map
    Grid North
    Grid North is easy to use on maps with printed UTM / MGRS / USNG grid lines.

• Lots of north reference lines already printed on the map.
    • Likely to be very close to True North.
    • When the level of accuracy required is low, Grid North lines are often used as True North lines.
    True North
    Lines of Longitude are True North lines. Often the two vertical edges of the map are lines of longitude and can be used as True North reference lines. They may be the only two True North lines on you map, unless your map has a lat/lon grid printed on it.

Magnetic North
    Many
    aviation and marine charts have pre-printed Magnetic North lines. Most other maps do not. You can draw parallel lines aligned with Magnetic North onto your map for use as north reference lines.

Upvote 0

Wild Bill

Not Blackmouthing
    Aug 4, 2010
    Camano Island
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    Otter Craft
    Holy shit batman. Triggered much?

Upvote 0

gonzo25

GOT A BIG ONE
    Nov 20, 2008
    san diego calif. usa
    Name
    george
    Boat
    triggered?

Upvote 0

KimH

Mar 4, 2009
    Tacoma/Westport WA/USA
    Name
    Kim
    Boat
    Sorry i
    I don't ever do this and was going off memory of what I had read and I did mis quote map tools saying "most" instead of "many" my bad. If that is the worst mistake I ever make, I can live with it. I spent my time to try and give these guys an idea of what it is they are looking at and how it works, their gps that is, trying to make a simple explanation they will understand and not so technical they can't follow it or feel like it is to complicated and they end up not getting anything from it. Typically you will never get a thank you for making the effort and spending your time, and you can count on a response from some asshole trying to prove you wrong and make you look bad. Of course you want to defend yourself and get into a pissing contest to show you aren't stupid, when the only person who matters already knows. 99 per cent of the time it's from someone who has no clue what they are talking about, The ones smart enough to know are smart enough to understand you are trying to keep it simple and easy to get Then you have that one asshole who looses the point of what it is all about and their ego wants everyone to think they really know their shit but don't want to give their time and effort to help some of these people but are quick to spend that time and effort to nit pic anything you say. I always wonder what the end game is? is it a personal thing, is it an ego thing, are they just an asshole, do they think that there is something positive, that people are learning, or is he adding to their confusion by making it to technical, does he even care as long as he looks good? I don't know, and it doesn't matter because I already knew what he was talking about. This is just an example of what to expect for trying help and why people say fuck it I don't need the bullshit, there is nothing in it for me, and they quit giving those fish reports, or try to help people when they are asking if anyone knows....
    There is someone here that seems pretty knowledgeable about the subject, why haven't you stepped some of these guys out on some basics, I am sure you have seen and heard what I have... Okay maybe you haven't because i am used to dealing with Kalifags and the guys up here a little more together, but I am sure there must be a few who don't know no one was born with the knowledge. Any of them unaware there are three different formats and clueless what they mean or can take the gps co-ordinance and put it on a chart. Instead of trying to nit pick my attempt to give them some basic understanding of what the shit is, how lost would they be if I start talking about declination and how important is it to understand what your gps is saying and figuring out where you are at on a chart?
    It wasn't about me saying look how much I know I'm so cool, it is about passing on some info so they can understand a tool they use all the time but don't understand all they could... look at the responses, do you think if they would have known the answers they wouldn't have said something? Based on what you said this is something you have done a lot, possibly for a living, l am like the guy who learned it in school but never used it. If we were talking about things involving my profession I could make you look like an idiot, would I? never, that is for people who are insecure or have an ego problem, I am neither. I like to share what I have learned and I like seeing people who will make an effort to learn new things. Do I think I know it all? Certainly not, i wish I did but no one does. Those who think they do, don't, but they know as much as they ever will.
    I made a reference to and am aware of the information on maps and charts to do declination but it would be like talking about adding and subtracting and then asking them to figure the hypotenuse of a right triangle, you can do that right? How many guys reading this are saying, what in the fuck is a hypotenuse?

from map tools
    Choosing a North Reference, for your Map, your Compass, and your GPS
    You may have choices to make between north references on your map and your compass. Your GPS can be set to use any of the three common references. When the north references are different between your map, compass, and GPS, 
you will need to do conversions as you move bearings between them.

North Reference on your Map
    Grid North
    Grid North is easy to use on maps with printed UTM / MGRS / USNG grid lines.

• Lots of north reference lines already printed on the map.
    • Likely to be very close to True North.
    • When the level of accuracy required is low, Grid North lines are often used as True North lines.
    True North
    Lines of Longitude are True North lines. Often the two vertical edges of the map are lines of longitude and can be used as True North reference lines. They may be the only two True North lines on you map, unless your map has a lat/lon grid printed on it.

Magnetic North
    Many
    aviation and marine charts have pre-printed Magnetic North lines. Most other maps do not. You can draw parallel lines aligned with Magnetic North onto your map for use as north reference lines.
    Sorry if I tweaked you. That wasn’t my intention. I was more worried that from your statement someone would take an actual NOAA printed nautical chart, layout courses et cetera, think it was mag and then end up on a reef. We have 113 nautical charts on board here if our spreadsheet is correct. All are printed true north. We are required to pull every single one of the bastards and do corrections and they always have corrections to do. The compass rose printed on the charts both US and Canadian has on the outer ring true which aligns with the longitude lines IE the chart is printed in true. The inner ring shows magnetic for that area. I’m 68 years old now. I got my first CG license (6 pack) the day I turned 18, I actually passed the exam when I was 17 but they wouldn’t issue the license until I turned 18...I went in on my birthday. Fished and still am fishing the Bering Sea for over 40 years, current cg license (1600tons/5000 tons uninspected fishing vessels) holds the oceans endorsement which means I passed the celestial exam, I couldn’t navigate with a sextant right at the minute because you either use it or lose it. In all that time I have yet to see one nautical US or Canadian chart printed as mag.

Again it wasn’t my intention to tweak you but I felt a couple of your statements were somewhat wrong and could prove dangerous if someone grabbed a chart, plotted courses at home thinking it was magnetic and went out thinking things were hunky dory. Magnetic Variation ranges from true depending on area. I think the Puget Sound area is around 16 or 17 degrees from true so a substantial difference. When I first started making income on the ocean running charters at Westport all most of us had was a compass and a flasher depth finder. I had all the courses of the buoy line and various point in the harbor written down. These were pulled off a chart and converted to mag using the areas variation and the boats deviation. I was scared shitless in a dense fog but muddled through.
    Anyway sorry about that....should’ve kept my mouth shut.

Upvote 0