Baby J

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 28, 2017
Puyallup
Name
Jeremy
Boat
23' Walkaround
I think they will eventually make good. It would just be nice if it could have been dealt with in a timely manner. I am willing to bend over backwards to get it resolved quickly so I can get back on the water.

Mr. Doodles

I'm the BIG Dog
Jul 3, 2011
Des Moines WA (Redondo)
Name
Ron
Boat
2002 Trophy "The Doodle Lynn"
I know lots of people here like Garmin products and service like I always have but something has changed. I purchased a new not refurbished Chart plotter/fish finder on 1/20/19. It’s had about 8 months of actual use and has performed perfectly up until last week when it just stopped powering up. After triple checking all my connections and making sure it was getting plenty of power I finally contacted Garmin yesterday. They basically told me to fuck off and go buy another one. After some less than pleasant conversation I was given an email to send my receipt to and explain the situation. Honestly I’m getting pretty pissed off. This already ruined Labor Day weekend when I had to pull the boat back home from Sekiu with 120 gallons of fuel in it because I found out I had no chart plotter right after I launched. I have never had any issues like this with Simrad but always heard Garmin had better customer service. It’s now been 24 hours since I’ve emailed them and no response.

Customer service sucks almost everywhere these days... but really? towed home from sekiu because you had no chart plotter????
Sekiu became famous from people fishing from kicker boats with nothing for navigation...
Just a compass will keep you facing in the right direction it's pretty simple really
Should not have wasted the trip

Chasin' Tail

~Jumpers!!~ <*)))><
Aug 10, 2008
Lacey WA
Name
Mike
Boat
17' Thor-Built Sled, 27' NorthRiver OS
IF you have warranty it should be pretty straight forward.

You tell them you've checked the power cable & its not that.. so

Should be as simple as them giving you a Return Authorization number, putting it in the box with a receipt of proof of purchase from an authorized retailer and mailing it into them. They will then evaluate the unit and make a determination & either fix, replace or deny your claim if the failure was caused by a something outside of the warranty terms.

Is there more to the story you're not telling the mob here?

All that said I believe the ECHO Map plotters only have a 1 Year warranty. So unless you had it installed by a Garmin ABYC certified installer you're warranty is expired. Which would explain why they suggested you go buy another one.

Reactions: liltrouble

Baby J

Jul 28, 2017
Puyallup
Name
Jeremy
Boat
23' Walkaround
If it would have been decent weather I would not have gone home without at least fishing for some coho. I’m not taking my wife out in gale force winds at night with no electronics. Weather report was calling for heavy fog in the morning. We were all set up to go halibut fishing at swiftsure. You may go out there with no electronics at all but I decided not to.

There’s nothing “more “ to the story other than the head unit died. I take good care of my stuff and my wiring is sound. Garmin confirmed my 2 year warranty but they are squawking about me buying the previous years model. They are saying they don’t have parts or replacements because it’s now 3 years old. I’m disappointed because I bought Garmin stuff based on their reputation for good customer service and that hasn’t been my experience so far. I have never had any other unit fail within five years so zero experience with this warranty process.

Walker Inc.

Jun 24, 2013
Gig Harbor, WA
Name
Patrick Walker
Boat
33 ft. Coldwater Walkaround
FURUNO.........

IF it breaks, which is rare, or usually self inflicted(my case) you drive to Camas, WA, deliver the machine, fill up your coffe cup at the receiving desk, go down the street, have breakfast, and they will call you when it’s done. You can get the tour, a Coffe cup, and be taken care of. It was the best customer service experience of my life. BY FAR!

AND they gave me a spare new MFDBB processor(6k$$) to keep as a spare for the summer just in case. Unreal.

C59BF67F-1DF3-4392-88D6-CD01FB465A84.jpeg

8E567F99-EF83-4133-A9F7-12CC20886241.jpeg

2DBE529C-FEEF-4624-B4E9-FD130EC29DED.jpeg

2B8E6CBA-6361-448A-BEB9-AF4C836A72A1.jpeg

Last edited:

liltrouble

Jun 9, 2012
ShillCreek, WA USA
Name
Shari
Boat
Mr. Buttercup
Ouchie! So you buy a 5 year old plotter on sale that is at end of life and this being superseceded. I logged into the portal and the marketing memo was from 2014 for the new product launch at FLIBS.

Anytime someone wants to buy discontinued product, I always counsel them to throw their money forward instead of backwards. You are getting the newest technology, cartography, etc. As well as purchasing a product that will have the greatest amount of service products at the warranty service center. With the echomap products, and most of them, when they do a production run, they also produce the parts to service them at the same time. When they run out-- they are out.

I also encourage people to register their products right away when they purchase any new products, especially outdated products. Not saying you did or didn't, but that has your product information available when you call or email. It establishes purchase date, authorized reseller, etc. And streamlines the process.

Also, i encourage people to update software regularly to the latest version. If you are not savvy with that, take it back to the store where you bought it and they will do it for you. You should take it back there anyway and plug it into their wall to see how it works from their setup.

Regularly i have people bring product in to me that they say "died". Put it on the bench, power it up and find they held the power button down too long ot too many times and turned off the backlight. Most if them are bitching about crappy product, etc. Had a got bring his Lowrance gen2 in that he was all distraught "it died" and Navico would fix it. Whaaaaa. They would give him a coupon for $50 on a new Lowrance product of he sent his back to them. Put it on the bench, heard the beep, knew it wasn't dead, and held down the power button and turned the backlight up. He had somehow, unbeknownst to him, turned it off. His software hadn't been updated since he bought it, so i updated it and sent him on his way.

If you registered your product, take it back to where you bought it and have them work the warranty for you. And, it hasn't been used 8 months. You bought it 19 months ago. My Toyota dealer doesn't care how much i don't drive my prius, it is still X- years old.

In the true spirit of Bloody Decks, sounds like you took the frustrations with your wife from the weekend out on the CSR when trying to get something from him. I know from experience when putting out a fire, putting the trash pump for the fire hose into the outhouse tank and letting rip never achieves what i want. Do what Reel Hooker said and call back with a "happy voice".

Reactions: Walker Inc.

Baby J

Jul 28, 2017
Puyallup
Name
Jeremy
Boat
23' Walkaround
My unit is a 2018 model not five years old. I was nice until the guy told me to just go buy a new one and I was out of luck. I spent a week checking everything out hoping it was something on my end. I did register my warranty and I updated my software every six months. The way you talk about customers is just about their attitude. When was the last time you took a 18 month old car that was under warranty in to the dealership and they told you to stop bitching and just buy another one? Honestly I almost never have warranty issues with anything but when I have, it’s usually a smooth process. Looking at the post above, Furuno seems to have it figured out. Treat your customers well and they will be loyal to you.

KimH

Someday I'll live the dream.
Mar 4, 2009
Tacoma/Westport WA/USA
Name
Kim
Boat
26' Duckworth..."Mayhem"
Those
FURUNO.........

IF it breaks, which is rare, or usually self inflicted(my case) you drive to Camas, WA, deliver the machine, fill up your coffe cup at the receiving desk, go down the street, have breakfast, and they will call you when it’s done. You can get the tour, a Coffe cup, and be taken care of. It was the best customer service experience of my life. BY FAR!

AND they gave me a spare new MFDBB processor(6k$$) to keep as a spare for the summer just in case. Unreal.

View attachment 1198721

View attachment 1198722

View attachment 1198723

View attachment 1198724
those coffee cups are a hot item at the fish expo or what used to be called fish expo.

invictus

AVD
May 26, 2006
Orange County
Name
Jason
Boat
Tiara 2000 Cuddy
Had Garmin in the boat, in the field, watches, all of it.

Every time I needed them on service or warranty they were there.

Sorry you dropped a looked forward to weekend, but this isn’t a quick exchange deal.

Reactions: Baby J

G-Spot

Captain
Mar 14, 2008
Salem/OR/USA
Name
John
Boat
53’ Hatteras STEEL N TIME
Ouchie! So you buy a 5 year old plotter on sale that is at end of life and this being superseceded. I logged into the portal and the marketing memo was from 2014 for the new product launch at FLIBS.

Anytime someone wants to buy discontinued product, I always counsel them to throw their money forward instead of backwards. You are getting the newest technology, cartography, etc. As well as purchasing a product that will have the greatest amount of service products at the warranty service center. With the echomap products, and most of them, when they do a production run, they also produce the parts to service them at the same time. When they run out-- they are out.

I also encourage people to register their products right away when they purchase any new products, especially outdated products. Not saying you did or didn't, but that has your product information available when you call or email. It establishes purchase date, authorized reseller, etc. And streamlines the process.

Also, i encourage people to update software regularly to the latest version. If you are not savvy with that, take it back to the store where you bought it and they will do it for you. You should take it back there anyway and plug it into their wall to see how it works from their setup.

Regularly i have people bring product in to me that they say "died". Put it on the bench, power it up and find they held the power button down too long ot too many times and turned off the backlight. Most if them are bitching about crappy product, etc. Had a got bring his Lowrance gen2 in that he was all distraught "it died" and Navico would fix it. Whaaaaa. They would give him a coupon for $50 on a new Lowrance product of he sent his back to them. Put it on the bench, heard the beep, knew it wasn't dead, and held down the power button and turned the backlight up. He had somehow, unbeknownst to him, turned it off. His software hadn't been updated since he bought it, so i updated it and sent him on his way.

If you registered your product, take it back to where you bought it and have them work the warranty for you. And, it hasn't been used 8 months. You bought it 19 months ago. My Toyota dealer doesn't care how much i don't drive my prius, it is still X- years old.

In the true spirit of Bloody Decks, sounds like you took the frustrations with your wife from the weekend out on the CSR when trying to get something from him. I know from experience when putting out a fire, putting the trash pump for the fire hose into the outhouse tank and letting rip never achieves what i want. Do what Reel Hooker said and call back with a "happy voice".
You’re being an ass and assuming a lot of shit about Baby J that is not applicable... Making a bunch of wrong assumptions and making comparisons that are dead ass wrong...

Let’s compare what the Toyota dealer really cares about your Prius..... They register it when purchased and that’s when the warranty starts... period... They care how long the warranty period is and ensure you haven’t exceeded the miles in addition to the time period. Sometimes a dealer sells a vehicle that is a year or two old and it still comes with full factory warranty....

When I bought my 2008 Defiance in 2011, the motors had .4 hours on them and we’re still considered unregistered new motors.. ... You want to guess when the warranty started on the Yamaha outboards?

So.... the dealer does give a fuck about the purchase date in addition to the manufacturer year and warranty period... And..... sometimes.... when there is a failure and it was close to the warranty period... My buddy after 30 years as a service manager became regional service manager for Lithia... he overseas around 50 dealerships of various manufacturers... They can call the factory and have items covered outside of the warranty period... The key is not to abuse that and only use it when appropriate...

Just because you deal with some assholes or idiots doesn’t make every person fall into that category... Maybe you’re letting personal experience cloud your objectivity.

Last edited:

G-Spot

Captain
Mar 14, 2008
Salem/OR/USA
Name
John
Boat
53’ Hatteras STEEL N TIME
My unit is a 2018 model not five years old. I was nice until the guy told me to just go buy a new one and I was out of luck. I spent a week checking everything out hoping it was something on my end. I did register my warranty and I updated my software every six months. The way you talk about customers is just about their attitude. When was the last time you took a 18 month old car that was under warranty in to the dealership and they told you to stop bitching and just buy another one? Honestly I almost never have warranty issues with anything but when I have, it’s usually a smooth process. Looking at the post above, Furuno seems to have it figured out. Treat your customers well and they will be loyal to you.
Furuno has the best customer service! They are also knowledgeable. Not some kid reading a script.

I have called them from Mexico and had them trouble shoot and they know those machines like the back of their hand... Raymarine used to have similar service guys.... Although they want you to pull all your gear and ship it to them in the middle of fishing season and you won’t get it back for 6 weeks.... I had issues with my autopilot and they wanted me to send the MFD in addition to the autopilot, so they could test it all.... I just bought a new autopilot....

EJ Swanny

Three Generations of Uff-Dah
Nov 30, 2010
Redondo/WA
Name
Erik
Boat
"Riley-J" 2006 21' Proline Tourney
Customer service sucks almost everywhere these days... but really? towed home from sekiu because you had no chart plotter????
Sekiu became famous from people fishing from kicker boats with nothing for navigation...
Just a compass will keep you facing in the right direction it's pretty simple really
Should not have wasted the trip
I grew up fishing CQ in a 18' Glaspar with a 55HP. My Dad fished it for many, many, years. One time the visibility was literally 25'. I was 10 years old. I had NO clue where land was, let alone the marina. My Dad got us back no problem.

I had no idea how he did that. Years later I asked him....he said it was easy, if you knew the tides, and the structure, you just know, follow them back. Now that's a Swedish chart-plotter. I'll never be that good...

FishPimpII

Repowering the boat..
Jul 27, 2009
Seattle, Wa
Name
Jeff Nelson
Boat
255 conquest... needs a name
I grew up fishing CQ in a 18' Glaspar with a 55HP. My Dad fished it for many, many, years. One time the visibility was literally 25'. I was 10 years old. I had NO clue where land was, let alone the marina. My Dad got us back no problem.

I had no idea how he did that. Years later I asked him....he said it was easy, if you knew the tides, and the structure, you just know, follow them back. Now that's a Swedish chart-plotter. I'll never be that good...
When I was a kid my dad did the compass only thing at sekiu a couple times and once we pulled into pillar point, and once we found the green can at neah bay instead of slip point.
Thanks god for good electronics.

whosmatt

Feb 25, 2011
San Diego, CA, USA
Name
Matt
Boat
17' self built cc skiff, Daft Boot
After the Garmin outage due to ransomware I don't trust them any further than I can throw them. It's not difficult to put yourself in a position to be immune to or quickly recover from such an attack. The fact that they didn't means they are either incompetent or cheap or both. Their market share in marine electronics is one thing but in avionics they seem to have fewer direct competitors. That, to me, is scary.

gonzo25

GOT A BIG ONE
Nov 20, 2008
san diego calif. usa
Name
george
Boat
18' Invader CC 15' bayliner son of a beach
I have the same unit something most people don't know is powering it up when not in the water isn't good for your ducer
Check the ground, check the ground, check the ground, the ground is the most common problem with them.
Check on that warranty period because mine is for one year

I just bought another finder and got a Humminbird... I like Garmin and their CS is better than the others... BUT the Humminbird is so much better there is no comparison, and much easier to use... can't say enough good things about it. before you spend your hard earned on another one, check out the humminbird helix, you will be glad you did.

Reactions: Baby J

sgwill122

Feb 21, 2011
Redmond/WA/USA
Name
Stephen
Boat
'Lady Karen' 28 Duckworth Offshore
When I was a kid my dad did the compass only thing at sekiu a couple times and once we pulled into pillar point, and once we found the green can at neah bay instead of slip point.
Thanks god for good electronics.
Amen, I remember a couple compass trips in thick fog where my dad had me up on the bow watching for rocks as he hugged the shoreline.

Baby J

Jul 28, 2017
Puyallup
Name
Jeremy
Boat
23' Walkaround
I get it guys. I used to go 50 miles offshore (gulf of Mexico) in an 1973 16 foot Boston Whaler with nothing but a compass a depth finder. We used to know where we were by what oil rigs we were close to. I damn near lost my life and did lose the boat one time and that’s all it took for me. I now have complete respect for the water. Friday evening on Labor Day weekend, the conditions were complete shit and not one person was out there without electronics let alone in an 18’ boat.

gonzo25

GOT A BIG ONE
Nov 20, 2008
san diego calif. usa
Name
george
Boat
Something you all have obviously over looked or missed... the paper work says in several places that is not to be relied on for navigation, in fact if you look at any unit and any brand they will all say that. Have you ever thought about what you would do if you lost all power? You should know how to use a compass and a chart.... and a real sailor doesn't need a compass to navigate, I wish I could say I don't but I don't. My uncle does but I am doing good to get by with a compass... and you should too, there is a reason all those GPS say not to rely on them for navigation. I'll bet most of you don't really know how to use your GPS. How many different formats do they use? You know what symbol is used for degree, what does ' and " mean? What does it mean if it only has a degree symbol and a . ? How many miles are there in a degree? What do the other numbers mean? How do these numbers relate to time? What is north, true north, and magnetic north? just askin

gonzo25

GOT A BIG ONE
Nov 20, 2008
san diego calif. usa
Name
george
Boat
Baby J I know how you feel, but if you want to win the game you have to play it smart. You got the best advice possible from liltrouble. You need to remind yourself that you want something form them, it isn't a question of if they owe it to you or you deserve to get it, all that matters is that you get what you want and the trick to getting it is simply keep this in mind. you will catch more flies with honey than vinegar.. or my favorite... if you take a smile to the mirror you will get a smile back. If you take a frown to the mirror you will get a frown back. If you want them to help you and be on your side, make them like you, not think your just some asshole. Based on the products I have got from them I think your out of warranty, which won't matter if you win them over. I bought the same fish finder you have, not because I thought it was the best but because of their CS. I bought a gps from them, it was four years out of warranty and all of a sudden when I turned it on just numbers would come up, it didn't work. It was like that for months and one of my friends said you should call customer service and ask them why it is doing this. I had never called because it was 4 years out of warranty and I didn't think they would help, I had nothing to loose so I called. The guy I talked to asked me if I updated the firm ware I said no, he said you need to up date the firm ware because waas has changed their format and the firmware fixes that, and it sounds like that is the problem. he gave me a link for the firm ware and told me how to do it. I down loaded it and tried to install it but I couldn't get it out of waas because as soon as it would boot up the numbers would come up and it would lock up before I could disable waas. I called the guy back and told him the problem, expecting him to tell me to send it to them and they would fix it for $xxx the guy told me first thing that for $100 they would go through it and fix anything and everything and send it back like new with a warranty, and then said if we can't fix it you can send it back and I'll make sure you only pay $50. That was a nice offer but I wasn't happy about it, but I didn't say anything except ok. He then spent four hours with me getting it to disable waas and installing the firmware. 4 hours, 4 years out of warranty and I still have it and it works fine. Lowrance was just the opposite and fucked me big time. I wouldn't take one of their products if you gave it to me for free and never will. I have had several different brands of fish finders and the one that works the best, and by far... and is the easiest to use is Humminbird. without a doubt the easiest to use and is head and shoulders above any of the others i have used.
When you talk to Garmin, be pleasant and keep reminding yourself you want something that they will give you, but don't have to (because they don't, what are you gonna do if they tell you to go fuck yourself) you don't have to make them love you, just don't make them hate you and you will get what you want. good luck and check the ground, the most common problem

Pacific Jigger

You’ll never know unless you go
Sep 16, 2019
United States
Name
Bud
Boat
Formula 233
Problems like this is why I run 2 different brands in the same boat at the same time. Currently, those units are Furuno and Humminbird. I also keep a handheld Garmin GPS that runs on batteries aboard in the event of total power failure.
Never completely trust anything electronic or mechanical and have a backup for everything.
The ultimate backup is up to date charts, a quality compass, and the ability to use them proficiently.

gonzo25

GOT A BIG ONE
Nov 20, 2008
san diego calif. usa
Name
george
Boat
I thought we were gonna have a winner..
okay if you are using a compass and a chart, what is it that you are determining? how do you determine it?

eldplanko

got the skunk off
Jun 18, 2012
Ballard
Name
My other boat is a piece of...
Boat
Floater
I thought we were gonna have a winner..
okay if you are using a compass and a chart, what is it that you are determining? how do you determine it?
Dead reckoning is great if your crossing the Atlantic on the mayflower, not realistic in coastal waters, especially if your doing visual navigation. Heavy fog and no electronics, how you going to get a fix? Plus, who fishes in a straight line?

For the OP, sometime shit breaks on your boat, it takes a day, other times a week, others times a month to get back on the water, thats just the way it is. Often, if you want to be back on the water quicker,it’s going to cost you more. Got to pay to play.

Last edited:

Baby J

Jul 28, 2017
Puyallup
Name
Jeremy
Boat
23' Walkaround
I dealt with a decent dude at Garmin today who was helpful and understood how a customer should be treated. He verified the unit was under warranty and they are replacing the head unit with a brand new one. I think the first guy I talked to would be better suited working at the DMV or something similar. I'm glad it will be resolved but a little worried it will happen again. Do you guys think I should leave it in the docking station (or whatever you call it) rather than take it inside the house after every trip?