Baby J

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 28, 2017
Puyallup
Name
Jeremy
Boat
23' Walkaround
I know lots of people here like Garmin products and service like I always have but something has changed. I purchased a new not refurbished Chart plotter/fish finder on 1/20/19. It’s had about 8 months of actual use and has performed perfectly up until last week when it just stopped powering up. After triple checking all my connections and making sure it was getting plenty of power I finally contacted Garmin yesterday. They basically told me to fuck off and go buy another one. After some less than pleasant conversation I was given an email to send my receipt to and explain the situation. Honestly I’m getting pretty pissed off. This already ruined Labor Day weekend when I had to pull the boat back home from Sekiu with 120 gallons of fuel in it because I found out I had no chart plotter right after I launched. I have never had any issues like this with Simrad but always heard Garmin had better customer service. It’s now been 24 hours since I’ve emailed them and no response.

Syoungs

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 22, 2018
Eastern wa
Name
STEPHEN YOUNGS
Boat
Trophy 2459
Thats disheartening to hear. I was really leaning towards a garmin electoenics package for my new to me boat. Also makes me want to keep the old lowrance wired up and stowed as a backup.

Sorry to hear your plans got boned. Keep us updated if garmin gets in touch with you about it.
Whats the warranty period on your device?

MYNomad

Heading South
Dec 12, 2007
Pacific Northwest / West Coast Mexico
Name
Rick
Boat
Yes
How long is the warranty? If it is out of warranty, how can you be pissed off that they won't honor the warranty? Disappointed, I would understand. And some manufacturers have a reputation for going way beyond the warranty in circumstances that they deem appropriate. As I recall, Raymarine did that when they had a bad batch of DSMs (batch may not be the right word, as it was all the units made in Mexico). Furuno has taken care of me on occasion. But with run of the mill consumer products, in my experience, when the warranty expires so does any coverage.

One of the problems with complicated navigational products is that when something doesn't work, it is hard to know whether it is defective equipment, bad configuration or a problem with related equipment. It can take longer than the warranty period to figure it out. My buddy is experiencing that now with his full Garmin installation. Autopilot has never worked reliably and consistently. So far, Garmin has directed him to configuration issues. I bet once the warranty expires, they are going to ask him to send the unit in, then give him the bad news.

Baby J

Jul 28, 2017
Puyallup
Name
Jeremy
Boat
23' Walkaround
It has a two year warranty and I purchased it 18 months ago. The guy I talked to (Alex) was giving me shit because I bought it on sale on 1/29/ 2019 and it was a 2018 model. Keep in mind you can still buy the model I have brand new online. I even offered to just go buy another one if they would work with me on some type of refund or replacement. I really don’t want to take off the ducer as everything is dialed in perfect. I know I haven’t given much time but I’m pissed I even had to do this because it should have been resolved straight away. I take really good care of my stuff and hardly ever have issues. When I finally have an issue I get treated like I should beg them to honor their warranty. The warranty says from date of purchase so I should be good.

Last edited:

kwik_wurk

Apr 10, 2012
Indianola & Browns Point
Name
kwik_wurk
Boat
Montauk, Sailfish 2360, and Johnson18
Sorry to hear it gave up the ghost. If i remember correctly it’s a 2yr for self installed. — That said i don’t know of any OEM’s that will give a refund or store credit without having received the unit for inspection (and attempted repair first). - It sucks because it’s a time off the water issue.

(Maybe refund on an out of the box failure, but not something that is 18 months into warranty.)

This said if it failed, Garmin should/will honor the warranty, my experience (and second hand experience) on true failures is equal count of repaired units and “new” replacement. (50/50)

Do you have someone to swap units with the check the power. And what fuse do/did you have (i assume replaced with new)?

Hismosa

Oct 15, 2016
Burbank, CA
Name
Glenn
Boat
Boat hoe
Buy a used one off ebay/forums of the model you have so you can plug n play and be on your way. Deal with the return/warranty process which I'm sure is a month long ordeal. Once they send you back a new/refurb unit sell that one or the used one you purchased to recoup your money. You won't be out any money and you can be back on the water.

Baby J

Jul 28, 2017
Puyallup
Name
Jeremy
Boat
23' Walkaround
That's close to what I was thinking. I was going to buy another new one and use it this year. Next year I would use both so I didn't have to split screen the charts/sonar. I just want to know if they will do the right thing before giving them any more business. Very frustrating this time of year when the fishing is finally lit up.

Baby J

Jul 28, 2017
Puyallup
Name
Jeremy
Boat
23' Walkaround
This was last Friday night. It was down right nautical out in the strait with gale force winds. We needed to get crab pots off the boat before anchoring for the night. There was no way I was going to run to our spot with no gps or sonar at night in those conditions. I would do it if with electronics and the ability to mark the pots location and safely find my way back but it was just to dangerous with only cell phone gps that isn't reliable up there. We were planning on fishing Swiftsure in the morning and that definitely wasn't happening. It quickly devolved into a "wife weekend" full of long hikes and bullshit I'd rather not re-live.

bdrlgion

Apr 11, 2014
Seattle
Name
"Mulligan"
Boat
18' Tiderunner Runabout
This was last Friday night. It was down right nautical out in the strait with gale force winds. We needed to get crab pots off the boat before anchoring for the night. There was no way I was going to run to our spot with no gps or sonar at night in those conditions. I would do it if with electronics and the ability to mark the pots location and safely find my way back but it was just to dangerous with only cell phone gps that isn't reliable up there. We were planning on fishing Swiftsure in the morning and that definitely wasn't happening. It quickly devolved into a "wife weekend" full of long hikes and bullshit I'd rather not re-live.
at night that's definitely the right call. check out navionics app for your phone - cheap, easy, dependable, works great for marking pots, though no substitute for high-reliability bottom reading.

Baby J

Jul 28, 2017
Puyallup
Name
Jeremy
Boat
23' Walkaround
You know how it goes... Stuff starts going wrong and the next thing you hear is “why don’t we just go home and we can come back next weekend”. Before you know what hit you, you’re spending your weekend hiking up mountains and hanging out in malls and shit. The struggle is real and Garmin needs to make good quickly.

bdrlgion

Apr 11, 2014
Seattle
Name
"Mulligan"
Boat
18' Tiderunner Runabout
You know how it goes... Stuff starts going wrong and the next thing you hear is “why don’t we just go home and we can come back next weekend”. Before you know what hit you, you’re spending your weekend hiking up mountains and hanging out in malls and shit. The struggle is real and Garmin needs to make good quickly.
<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/5yuC2vIsQJdoA" width="480" height="250" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="
">via GIPHY</a></p>

split172

Aug 3, 2015
Orange County
Name
One More
Boat
Steiger Craft 25
For sure the unit is getting power? I have had fuse issues before that caused loss of power to electronics. Shitty fuse box

Seahusky

Mar 19, 2019
Sequim, Washington State.
Name
Seahusky
Boat
Hewescraft Ocean Pro
I had my old Hewescraft OP220 fitted completely with Lowrance HDS Gen 3 units. The main unit crapped out on me one day out in the straits. Thankfuly I had another unit at the rear steering station and was able to continue fishing.
It was just out of warranty but they replaced the main unit for me as a good will gesture. I'm Lowrance for life. Love their ergonomics and ability to wifi updates.

Baby J

Jul 28, 2017
Puyallup
Name
Jeremy
Boat
23' Walkaround
It's definitely getting power. My son is an industrial electrician that specializes in automation equipment. He retested the voltage and even put a load on it which I had not done yet. It has 12.8 volts with the engine off and a minimum of 13.6 with it running. We are checking voltage at the female pin holes on the actual receiver that the unit snaps into. This is a Garmin echoMAP CHIRP 94sv so it's the first two female pin holes on the left when you are looking down at it. I checked and double checked the fuse and other connections as well.
I talked to a buddy today and he has a 2017 Simrad GO9. Last April it was a year and a few months out of warranty when the screen started losing brightness. He had two of them so it was obvious that something wasn't right. He called Lowrance/Simrad and they sent him a new 2019 model as soon as he sent them the tracking number. I still have not received a reply after two full business days now... To buy a new one it's still about $900 or $850 for a refurbished one.

Reactions: goodday

liltrouble

Jun 9, 2012
ShillCreek, WA USA
Name
Shari
Boat
Mr. Buttercup
Garmin is good stuff. When was the last time that you updated your software? What is the unit you are bitching about. It has a 1 year warranty for self-installed and 2 years when installed by a Garmin Certified Installer.

Have you used your multimeter and pinned out the plug to see if you are getting power to the head unit? Checked the inline fuse, etc.? Have you taken your head unit back into where you got it? Have them power it up on the wall to see if it works with their cabling/power source?

I had a guy pissing up a rope because his chartplotter didn't work and he wanted us to replace it. We plugged it into our stable power source and it fired right up. I would call his installation nefarious at best. Had another guy bitching because his fishfinder wasn't working. He bought a combo with the transducer and left it on all night because he wanted the fishfinder to be warmed up for the next day. Went out and looked at the melted plastic hanging on the transom and asked how he did that. I told him his warranty would be through Garmin, not us. And Garmin told him to come buy a new ducer and not to leave the plotter on for extended periods of time with the transducer connected.

If you bought it online, they had to be an authorized reseller in order for the warranty to be valid.

I sent a guy's 8612xsv on a Monday and got it back on the following Monday. That is pretty dang good turn around.

Reactions: KimH

Baby J

Jul 28, 2017
Puyallup
Name
Jeremy
Boat
23' Walkaround
I just said what we checked and the last software update was done in June. It’s 100% getting power. I bought it from an authorized dealer and they told me yesterday it had a two year warranty after I gave them the serial number and gave them the order number. I don’t think I’m “bitching” when I get the runaround after buying a something that died after eight months of actual use. I keep all my electronics inside my house when not in use. It looks literally like brand new. There’s no reason this should have failed so soon.

KimH

Someday I'll live the dream.
Mar 4, 2009
Tacoma/Westport WA/USA
Name
Kim
Boat
26' Duckworth..."Mayhem"
Sometimes power supply is weird. Just went through a multibeam sonar problem that wouldn’t light off even though the power supply metered correct. Ended up the external power supply was faulty and couldn’t handle the load when trying to boot the unit up. Just curious about your comment that “it‘s getting enough power”. Did you actually put a meter on the power supply pins? If you’re taking the unit on and off a lot it’s possible you could have damage you can’t see on one of the pins. Do you put a thin coating of silicone grease on the plug?

Last edited:

KimH

Someday I'll live the dream.
Mar 4, 2009
Tacoma/Westport WA/USA
Name
Kim
Boat
26' Duckworth..."Mayhem"
Garmin is good stuff. When was the last time that you updated your software? What is the unit you are bitching about. It has a 1 year warranty for self-installed and 2 years when installed by a Garmin Certified Installer.

Have you used your multimeter and pinned out the plug to see if you are getting power to the head unit? Checked the inline fuse, etc.? Have you taken your head unit back into where you got it? Have them power it up on the wall to see if it works with their cabling/power source?

I had a guy pissing up a rope because his chartplotter didn't work and he wanted us to replace it. We plugged it into our stable power source and it fired right up. I would call his installation nefarious at best. Had another guy bitching because his fishfinder wasn't working. He bought a combo with the transducer and left it on all night because he wanted the fishfinder to be warmed up for the next day. Went out and looked at the melted plastic hanging on the transom and asked how he did that. I told him his warranty would be through Garmin, not us. And Garmin told him to come buy a new ducer and not to leave the plotter on for extended periods of time with the transducer connected.

If you bought it online, they had to be an authorized reseller in order for the warranty to be valid.

I sent a guy's 8612xsv on a Monday and got it back on the following Monday. That is pretty dang good turn around.
Funny, really funny....”warmed up for the next day.” Made me laugh but I’ve been close to anal about unplugging the ducer from the dsm on previous boats when putting it on the trailer. Not sure if I’ll have that option on the new boat when I get the electronics installed so I’ll have to remember to shut the ducer via the software. I‘m always messing with the unit when the boat is on the trailer and don’t want the ducer clicking away and melting.

Reactions: liltrouble

Baby J

Jul 28, 2017
Puyallup
Name
Jeremy
Boat
23' Walkaround
My son confirmed that the power is 100% rock solid and we are reading it from the female pin holes on the docking bracket. My other electronics are running off the same power supply with zero issues. I run a separate battery for my electronics and it’s new this year. It’s possible that it’s an issue with the pins but they look like brand new and the female side does as well. I always put the rubber boot over the female side when I take the head unit in the house. I put a small amount dielectric grease on the pins every few months.

skipjack

Oct 20, 2004
santa maria
Name
skip
Boat
2320 Parker "Donna Marie"
I had mine hooked up where my previous Furuno was hooked up.
The thing kept shutting down until I ran a complete separate power and ground wire.

Reactions: liltrouble