Garmin Chartplotter Routing (magenta line crossing land)

jplee3

I've posted enough I should edit this section
May 3, 2007
Irvine
Name
Jeremy
Boat
n/a
Hey all,

New to fishfinders/chartplotters in general and was curious if it's normal/expected behavior for a chartplotter to draw a route that passes across land while on the water. Last week my buddy and I observed this on the way to the Backside of Catalina - the line cut right through the island to the waypoint lol.

Hismosa

Oct 15, 2016
Burbank, CA
Name
Glenn
Boat
Boat hoe
This is why if you set autopilot and fall asleep you end up on land.

dktool

2459 Trophy Offshore
Aug 11, 2010
Covina, Ca.
Name
Dean
Boat
1989 Bayliner 2459 Trophy Off Shore
Unless you can get to your waypoint "as the crow flys" without crashing into something you must enter individual waypoints to create a "route", save it in the system then select it for your "navagate to"

Same as driving on streets, you can't get from your house to the market in a straight line, unless you drive an Abrams Tank.

images.jpeg.jpg

jplee3

May 3, 2007
Irvine
Name
Jeremy
Boat
n/a
Unless you can get to your waypoint "as the crow flys" without crashing into something you must enter individual waypoints to create a "route", save it in the system then select it for your "navagate to"

Same as driving on streets, you can't get from your house to the market in a straight line, unless you drive an Abrams Tank.

View attachment 1158547

Makes sense - haven't had much experience with boat GPSes but was thinking why couldn't they just make them 'smarter' in terms of navigating to avoid obstacles and such. But it sounds like this is just the nature of boat GPSes