Garmin autopilot question

Discussion in 'Boat Electronics' started by RussC, Mar 12, 2018.

1. RussC

RussC Newbie

Name:
    Russ
    Boat:
    Grady White 209 Escape
    I’m installing a Garmin GHP 20 autopilot. The system does not come with a rudder feedback unit. I will use the autopilot mostly for trolling as slow as 2mph for salmon. I’ve been told that I would benefit from installing a rudder feedback system, especially because it will hold the heading better at low trolling speeds. Does anyone have experience with the Garmin autopilot?

2. Cy Bodden

Cy Bodden Been there done that

Name:
    Cy
    Boat:
    Parker 2120
  3. Loboinventura

Loboinventura Member

Name:
    Wayne Mills
    Boat:
    20.6 Wilson soon to 23
    I have a G-20 it does fine all the way down to 1knot or so. Good auto pilot only thing I do not like is they make it hard to change the gain. Garmin thinks the computer knows how to steer better then you. Have to have a factory code dealer codes to change. But it will work fine with no rudder feed back. Plus never call Garmin unless you have down loaded and updated your software. That will be the first thing they ask if not they will not try to help you.

4. RussC

RussC Newbie

Name:
    Russ
    Boat:
    Grady White 209 Escape
    Wayne, what pump do you have? I have the compact reactor 40 pump with the GHC 20 core package and I’m afraid it might not do a good job of holding a heading on a slow troll in choppy water. Interestingly, I was told this by Garmin support when I called them on a question I had. I told them that they advertise this package for a single engine boat under 30’. I emailed them for clarification on this issue and am waiting a reply. Did I make an expensive mistake? We will see.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018