Hard Chargin'

Fischjäger
Aug 11, 2019
PNW
Name
Andre
Boat
Stabicraft 459 Fish'r
How is it a source of income? Honest question. Your overhead is certainly lower than most but if I won every tuna tournament in the NW, I could still write off heavy losses at the end of the year.
I have a couple of small sponsors and honestly it's not even close to enough. Most of it goes to fuel. I just eat what I can catch lots of times.

Hard Chargin'

Fischjäger
Aug 11, 2019
PNW
Name
Andre
Boat
Stabicraft 459 Fish'r
Don't get me wrong guys I love this. I'm not trying to make anyone feel sorry for me. I chose this. I love fishing and right now I'm getting paid to do it. Even if I'm barely breaking even. I get to fish. It's a dream come true. But it's just hard. My fishing trips arent exactly luxury vacations.

Reactions: Corey G

TimeZoned

24’ Hewes Alaskan
Apr 27, 2013
Port Orchard
Name
Jeff
Boat
24’ Hewes Alaskan
If you’re trying to make a living fishing why not start out deck handing in one of the charters? I just saw a post recently where one of them was looking for someone for October due to theirs going back to school

Nineball

That's a keeper!
Jul 16, 2012
Port orchard
Name
Chris
Boat
Parker 2310 "GUANO LOCO"
I've seen you out by seal rock in past years. I also was the first person you met at the ramp for the WTC. You said you were going to fish it solo. I was like "whuht?"

I have an old suzi 4hp 2-stroke shortie that you can hang on there for the rest of this season. She ain't been fired up in years but ran first pull when I put her in the shop

Last edited:

Team Sency

Unleash the hounds!!
Jan 6, 2012
Black Diamond
Name
Chris
Boat
JuiceBox2
I'm doing the best I can with what I've got.
Andre....folks are loving your adventures and just looking out for you.

Kicker or Epirb? I don’t have an Epirb, but certainly should get one.

If what you hit took out your lower unit, a kicker could have kept you going in right direction. VHF for help. So I lean towards kicker to keep you out of trouble.

If what you hit instantly brought on water? Epirb. You determine the percentages.

You also just do you and as Gspot said, keep up maintenance.

If Nineball decides to sell you the Suk...I’m sure a batch of us would BDcrowdfishfund.

Reactions: Big Scotch

wdlfbio

Once you go Cat, you never go back
Sep 15, 2008
maple valley, wa
Name
laurence
Boat
Vacancy
You picked a rough hobby to actually try to make any money at it, especially how you’re going about it. Sounds like deckhanding could get you a lot further economically. And then use that xtra coin to better outfit your hobby. Hell, many of the captains offer a place to sleep too.

I have a second PLB in my ditch box sitting on SlapShot. I wear mine and Norm/Carrie keep an EPIRB in their ditch bag. I haven’t checked the battery this year, but I will this weekend. If it’s still good, it’s yours, if you’ll actually wear it! You might need to have the battery replaced and you’ll need to reassign it to you and give a new emergency contact.

Hard Chargin'

Fischjäger
Aug 11, 2019
PNW
Name
Andre
Boat
Stabicraft 459 Fish'r
If you’re trying to make a living fishing why not start out deck handing in one of the charters?
I've thought about it. This just allows me to adventure more freely. Maybe I'll have to resort to something else later but I'm busting my butt trying to make this work for now.

I've seen you out by seal rock in past years. I also was the first person you met at the ramp for the WTC. You did you were going to fish it solo. I was like "whuht?"

I have an old suzi 4hp 2-stroke shortie that you can hang on there for the rest of this season. She ain't been fired up in years but ran first pull when I put her in the shop
I spend a lot of time out of Neah Bay so it's no surprise you saw me out there. You got me on a lucky day though because I rarely fish inside. I really appreciate your offer and I might take you up on it. I've really been holding out for a 4 stroke so I can plumb it into my main tank and not have to mix fuel on the go. I really appreciate the offer, it's really generous.

Andre....folks are loving your adventures and just looking out for you.

Kicker or Epirb? I don’t have an Epirb, but certainly should get one.

If what you hit took out your lower unit, a kicker could have kept you going in right direction. VHF for help. So I lean towards kicker to keep you out of trouble.

If what you hit instantly brought on water? Epirb. You determine the percentages.

You also just do you and as Gspot said, keep up maintenance.
I'm glad people enjoy keeping up. And these are all scenarios I have contemplated. Probably whichever one I prepare for is the one that won't happen.

You picked a rough hobby to actually try to make any money at it, especially how you’re going about it. Sounds like deckhanding could get you a lot further economically. And then use that xtra coin to better outfit your hobby. Hell, many of the captains offer a place to sleep too.

I have a second PLB in my ditch box sitting on SlapShot. I wear mine and Norm/Carrie keep an EPIRB in their ditch bag. I haven’t checked the battery this year, but I will this weekend. If it’s still good, it’s yours, if you’ll actually wear it! You might need to have the battery replaced and you’ll need to reassign it to you and give a new emergency contact.
Laurence, that is an extremely generous offer and I will definitely take you up on it. I wear my life jacked every time I'm on the water alone regardless of how nice the weather is and a PLB would be no exception. And you could consider it a loaner. I'll buy you a new one when I can.

And guys I know you are all just looking out for my and worried for my safety and I honestly really appreciate it. If this whole thing doesn't work out the way I want then I can go do something else but this is what I love like most people here. I appreciate the support. I'll definitely keep everyone posted on where I go and what I do.

This weekend I'm going to Canada to fish and camp with some friends. But I'll be firmly planted on shore. I'm not taking the boat :(

TonyG

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Nov 19, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Name
Tony
Boat
NR Seahawk OS 26'; 20' Alumaweld Super Vee Sled
I've thought about it. This just allows me to adventure more freely. Maybe I'll have to resort to something else later but I'm busting my butt trying to make this work for now.

I spend a lot of time out of Neah Bay so it's no surprise you saw me out there. You got me on a lucky day though because I rarely fish inside. I really appreciate your offer and I might take you up on it. I've really been holding out for a 4 stroke so I can plumb it into my main tank and not have to mix fuel on the go. I really appreciate the offer, it's really generous.

I'm glad people enjoy keeping up. And these are all scenarios I have contemplated. Probably whichever one I prepare for is the one that won't happen.

Laurence, that is an extremely generous offer and I will definitely take you up on it. I wear my life jacked every time I'm on the water alone regardless of how nice the weather is and a PLB would be no exception. And you could consider it a loaner. I'll buy you a new one when I can.

And guys I know you are all just looking out for my and worried for my safety and I honestly really appreciate it. If this whole thing doesn't work out the way I want then I can go do something else but this is what I love like most people here. I appreciate the support. I'll definitely keep everyone posted on where I go and what I do.

This weekend I'm going to Canada to fish and camp with some friends. But I'll be firmly planted on shore. I'm not taking the boat :(
I used to overextend a too small boat with not sufficient safety equipment too. I was piss poor. I did always have a kicker and vhf. But not much more.

I was young and couldn't die. I didn't. I'm glad. Buti did not make good decisions.

Best of luck to you but you are massively overextended. I hope you dont have an issue.

Nineball

That's a keeper!
Jul 16, 2012
Port orchard
Name
Chris
Boat
Parker 2310 "GUANO LOCO"
The kicker has a small tank built in. Get a fuel line with a primer bulb and also a collapsible fuel bladder (or 1 gallon can). While the kicker is running out the first tank of fuel you have time to fill up the aux tank from the main and add oil that you already have onboard.

Last edited:

Captain Decent

Nov 2, 2017
Covington, wa
Name
Ryan
Boat
The Bert Makes ’em Squirt
I've got a vhf with dcs. And I never said I was smart. I just love fishing. I gonna die on the water someday and I'm OK with that.

Also 5 foot swells 30 miles offshore isn't very scary.

But I do like adventures. Which is why I'm chasing Marlin in a couple weeks down in SoCal!!
Sorry bro I don’t mean to pile on and I am far from the safety champion here but the second paragraph is concerning. Make sure you don’t get lulled into a false sense of security. This year has been both the best weather and best tuna fishing I’ve ever seen in my life.

If you lose that main from the thousand possible ways to disable it and get into weather you’re going the fuck overboard. The stabi should float well enough but I don’t think it has any magical powers to keep it upright when wind waves stack on that weak little 5ft swell that just built to 10.

Hard Chargin'

Fischjäger
Aug 11, 2019
PNW
Name
Andre
Boat
Stabicraft 459 Fish'r
Sorry bro I don’t mean to pile on and I am far from the safety champion here but the second paragraph is concerning. Make sure you don’t get lulled into a false sense of security. This year has been both the best weather and best tuna fishing I’ve ever seen in my life.

If you lose that main from the thousand possible ways to disable it and get into weather you’re going the fuck overboard. The stabi should float well enough but I don’t think it has any magical powers to keep it upright when wind waves stack on that weak little 5ft swell that just built to 10.
It's alright man. You didn't offend me. As I said before I appreciate the concern. And I spend enough time on the ocean and in my boat that i know my boat can't save me from making stupid decisions. I certainly don't feel unsinkable or invincible when I'm out there. And when I start to feel uncomfortable I head for port.

That being said, I fish 10 foot swells out of Neah Bay frequently with a little wind chop :).

Seriously though thanks for looking out bro.

Hard Chargin'

Fischjäger
Aug 11, 2019
PNW
Name
Andre
Boat
Stabicraft 459 Fish'r
The kicker has a small tank built in. Get a fuel line with a primer bulb and also a collapsible fuel bladder (or 1 gallon can). While the kicker is running out the first tank of fuel you have time to fill up the aux tank from the main and add oil that you already have onboard.
I'm sold on it man. PM me.

Salmon King

Mar 29, 2013
Everett, WA, USA
Name
Tim
Boat
Salmon King 21' Custom Pilothouse
Nice work finding some fish at OTC. Looks like you had yet another adventure.

They guys on this board are more than generous and helpful and have your safety in mind, even if you don’t realize it yet. I understand the money thing and making it work with what you have, but try to think of the impact you could have on others when it goes sideways.

Regarding making a living at fishing, good luck with that. Decking would be a good way to eventually captain a boat, but remember that those guys are GUIDING and not FISHING. If a hobby is as fun as fishing (skiing, etc.) there isn’t going to be much money made enjoying the pastime. That is why the guys in this community work their tails off turning wrenches, managing crews, cranking out drawings, flying all over taking care of customers, and generally working hard so we can have fun fishing. The privilege of getting out is earned.

Hard Chargin'

Fischjäger
Aug 11, 2019
PNW
Name
Andre
Boat
Stabicraft 459 Fish'r
Thanks for the insight Tim. I had thought about the impact it could have on other people but not at length. I'll think about this a little more. And I have recognized the concern and generosity. Both are greatly appreciated, it amazes me that anyone here even cares about me in any capacity. Most of the guys here don't know me and the couple I've met haven't spent more than an hour with me. This is a wonderful community, even though it's a little vulgar at times haha.

And if I need to I'll go back to working full time. I'm half-heartedly keeping an eye open for one. And I've turned down a couple decent offers. If the right one shows up I'll take it or if I get desperate enough I will.

Wild Bill

Drinking the Suzuki Kool-aid and liking it!
Aug 4, 2010
Camano Island
Name
Steve
Boat
Otter Craft
The exploits of our youth are an important part of what we become later in life. The trick is to keep her reigned in just enough to be able to tell the stories when you are bit longer in the tooth. Rock on!

wdlfbio

Once you go Cat, you never go back
Sep 15, 2008
maple valley, wa
Name
laurence
Boat
Vacancy
Thanks for the insight Tim. I had thought about the impact it could have on other people but not at length. I'll think about this a little more. And I have recognized the concern and generosity. Both are greatly appreciated, it amazes me that anyone here even cares about me in any capacity. Most of the guys here don't know me and the couple I've met haven't spent more than an hour with me. This is a wonderful community, even though it's a little vulgar at times haha.

Oh, we are all a bunch of grouchy assholes. Most of us don’t care about you at all. We just don’t want to lose fishing time looking for you because because of a PAN PAN for a guy in a little 16’ Stabicraft that overturned and the plb or DSC is going off. :frehya2:

Truth is, when a boater in distress call goes out, I don’t know any one of us that wouldn’t cut lines immediately and throttle up towards that location. Many on here have done exactly that.

Hard Chargin'

Fischjäger
Aug 11, 2019
PNW
Name
Andre
Boat
Stabicraft 459 Fish'r
Oh, we are all a bunch of grouchy assholes. Most of us don’t care about you at all. We just don’t want to lose fishing time looking for you because because of a PAN PAN for a guy in a little 16’ Stabicraft that overturned and the plb or DSC is going off. :frehya2:

Truth is, when a boater in distress call goes out, I don’t know any one of us that wouldn’t cut lines immediately and throttle up towards that location. Many on here have done exactly that.
I've actually responded many times myself so I know what you're saying. I actually cruised out to Tattoosh in very unfavorable conditions one time to give someone fuel. I always keep 5 gallons on the boat and these guys ran out "just past the island". I was at Sail rock and started motoring. Turns out the guy didn't actually know where he was because apparently he meant Waadah Island. He wasn't local and somehow got them mixed up. Haha, I wasn't too happy about that if you can imagine.

And I feel like Washington Coastal boaters are better than any place I've ever been. We look out for each other out there because you never know when it's gonna be your turn getting rescued.

Nineball

That's a keeper!
Jul 16, 2012
Port orchard
Name
Chris
Boat
Parker 2310 "GUANO LOCO"
The motor started up on the third pull. It wasn't moving water to the outlet. I shut it down and went to kitsap Marine for a new impeller kit. The parts were installed this weekend and the motor is ready for your pickup. I've texted you my address.

It starts first pull now, idles down to nothing, that motor has always rocked!

GregE

Seeking Kodak Moments
May 17, 2011
Shelton, WA Mason
www.sagecreekforums.com
Name
Greg Eastman
Boat
Kodak II - Arima SL 22
More on a theme...

I'm a retired helicopter pilot and early in my training I learned the phrase
"There are Bold pilots and Old pilots,
But there are No Old, Bold pilots"

Lots of caring comments expressed here- as we did for Solo Mark Reed.

Hard Chargin'

Fischjäger
Aug 11, 2019
PNW
Name
Andre
Boat
Stabicraft 459 Fish'r
Thanks Greg.

Did something bad happen to Mark?