Hard Chargin'

Fischjäger
Aug 11, 2019
PNW
Name
Andre
Boat
Stabicraft 459 Fish'r
Sorry bro I don’t mean to pile on and I am far from the safety champion here but the second paragraph is concerning. Make sure you don’t get lulled into a false sense of security. This year has been both the best weather and best tuna fishing I’ve ever seen in my life.

If you lose that main from the thousand possible ways to disable it and get into weather you’re going the fuck overboard. The stabi should float well enough but I don’t think it has any magical powers to keep it upright when wind waves stack on that weak little 5ft swell that just built to 10.

It's alright man. You didn't offend me. As I said before I appreciate the concern. And I spend enough time on the ocean and in my boat that i know my boat can't save me from making stupid decisions. I certainly don't feel unsinkable or invincible when I'm out there. And when I start to feel uncomfortable I head for port.

That being said, I fish 10 foot swells out of Neah Bay frequently with a little wind chop :).

Seriously though thanks for looking out bro.

Upvote 0

Hard Chargin'

Fischjäger
Aug 11, 2019
PNW
Name
Andre
Boat
Stabicraft 459 Fish'r
The kicker has a small tank built in. Get a fuel line with a primer bulb and also a collapsible fuel bladder (or 1 gallon can). While the kicker is running out the first tank of fuel you have time to fill up the aux tank from the main and add oil that you already have onboard.

I'm sold on it man. PM me.

Upvote 0

Salmon King

I Should Upgrade My Account
Mar 29, 2013
Everett, WA, USA
Name
Tim
Boat
Salmon King 21' Custom Pilothouse
Nice work finding some fish at OTC. Looks like you had yet another adventure.

They guys on this board are more than generous and helpful and have your safety in mind, even if you don’t realize it yet. I understand the money thing and making it work with what you have, but try to think of the impact you could have on others when it goes sideways.

Regarding making a living at fishing, good luck with that. Decking would be a good way to eventually captain a boat, but remember that those guys are GUIDING and not FISHING. If a hobby is as fun as fishing (skiing, etc.) there isn’t going to be much money made enjoying the pastime. That is why the guys in this community work their tails off turning wrenches, managing crews, cranking out drawings, flying all over taking care of customers, and generally working hard so we can have fun fishing. The privilege of getting out is earned.

Upvote 0

Hard Chargin'

Fischjäger
Aug 11, 2019
PNW
Name
Andre
Boat
Stabicraft 459 Fish'r
Thanks for the insight Tim. I had thought about the impact it could have on other people but not at length. I'll think about this a little more. And I have recognized the concern and generosity. Both are greatly appreciated, it amazes me that anyone here even cares about me in any capacity. Most of the guys here don't know me and the couple I've met haven't spent more than an hour with me. This is a wonderful community, even though it's a little vulgar at times haha.

And if I need to I'll go back to working full time. I'm half-heartedly keeping an eye open for one. And I've turned down a couple decent offers. If the right one shows up I'll take it or if I get desperate enough I will.

Upvote 0

Wild Bill

Not Blackmouthing
Aug 4, 2010
Camano Island
Name
Steve
Boat
Otter Craft
The exploits of our youth are an important part of what we become later in life. The trick is to keep her reigned in just enough to be able to tell the stories when you are bit longer in the tooth. Rock on!

Upvote 0

wdlfbio

Once you go Cat, you never go back
Sep 15, 2008
Olympia, WA
Name
laurence
Boat
2021 Allied WildCat 30
Thanks for the insight Tim. I had thought about the impact it could have on other people but not at length. I'll think about this a little more. And I have recognized the concern and generosity. Both are greatly appreciated, it amazes me that anyone here even cares about me in any capacity. Most of the guys here don't know me and the couple I've met haven't spent more than an hour with me. This is a wonderful community, even though it's a little vulgar at times haha.

Oh, we are all a bunch of grouchy assholes. Most of us don’t care about you at all. We just don’t want to lose fishing time looking for you because because of a PAN PAN for a guy in a little 16’ Stabicraft that overturned and the plb or DSC is going off. :frehya2:

Truth is, when a boater in distress call goes out, I don’t know any one of us that wouldn’t cut lines immediately and throttle up towards that location. Many on here have done exactly that.

Upvote 0

Hard Chargin'

Fischjäger
Aug 11, 2019
PNW
Name
Andre
Boat
Stabicraft 459 Fish'r
Oh, we are all a bunch of grouchy assholes. Most of us don’t care about you at all. We just don’t want to lose fishing time looking for you because because of a PAN PAN for a guy in a little 16’ Stabicraft that overturned and the plb or DSC is going off. :frehya2:

Truth is, when a boater in distress call goes out, I don’t know any one of us that wouldn’t cut lines immediately and throttle up towards that location. Many on here have done exactly that.

I've actually responded many times myself so I know what you're saying. I actually cruised out to Tattoosh in very unfavorable conditions one time to give someone fuel. I always keep 5 gallons on the boat and these guys ran out "just past the island". I was at Sail rock and started motoring. Turns out the guy didn't actually know where he was because apparently he meant Waadah Island. He wasn't local and somehow got them mixed up. Haha, I wasn't too happy about that if you can imagine.

And I feel like Washington Coastal boaters are better than any place I've ever been. We look out for each other out there because you never know when it's gonna be your turn getting rescued.

Upvote 0

Nineball

Let’s goooo!
Jul 16, 2012
Port orchard
Name
Chris
Boat
Parker 2310 "GUANO LOCO"
The motor started up on the third pull. It wasn't moving water to the outlet. I shut it down and went to kitsap Marine for a new impeller kit. The parts were installed this weekend and the motor is ready for your pickup. I've texted you my address.

It starts first pull now, idles down to nothing, that motor has always rocked!

Upvote 0

GregE

Seeking Kodak Moments
May 17, 2011
Shelton, WA Mason
www.sagecreekforums.com
Name
Greg Eastman
Boat
Kodak II - Arima SL 22
More on a theme...

I'm a retired helicopter pilot and early in my training I learned the phrase
"There are Bold pilots and Old pilots,
But there are No Old, Bold pilots"

Lots of caring comments expressed here- as we did for Solo Mark Reed.

Upvote 0