TooManyHobbies

The guy that makes the glass stuff
May 10, 2010
White trashville
Name
Garrett
Boat
21' SeaRay Laguna CC "Sea 'Scape"
As long as you don't start talking about the forecast, or making Seahawks predictions, you'll fit in just fine Andre!

Reactions: Cap'n Coldeye
Upvote 0

Hard Chargin'

Fischjäger
Aug 11, 2019
PNW
Name
Andre
Boat
Stabicraft 459 Fish'r
I have room for 1 brave souls. Preferably one with top notch paddling skills. I will bust out the life raft if too many fish are caught.

Like I tell everyone, if the Sea takes me, she takes me. So be prepared to meet your maker or Davey Jones.

Upvote 0

Hard Chargin'

Fischjäger
Aug 11, 2019
PNW
Name
Andre
Boat
Stabicraft 459 Fish'r
For real though. I do want a kicker. I've been looking at them on Craigslist. But I just can't fabricate $500 to buy one. I'm trying to make a living chasing tournaments and I'm doing a terrible job at it. I need some more sponsors.

Upvote 0

G-Spot

Captain
  • Mar 14, 2008
    Salem/OR/USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    53’ Hatteras STEEL N TIME
    I have room for 1 brave souls. Preferably one with top notch paddling skills. I will bust out the life raft if too many fish are caught.

Like I tell everyone, if the Sea takes me, she takes me. So be prepared to meet your maker or Davey Jones.

Just make sure you take care of your main and do the maintenance! There are many ocean vessels with nothing more than a single main and no redundancy. Many commercial single screw vessels with thousands of hours.... I spend hundreds of hours in my old Chris Craft single screw....

Epirb and a good VHF are a must!

Upvote 0

Hard Chargin'

Fischjäger
    Aug 11, 2019
    PNW
    Name
    Andre
    Boat
    Stabicraft 459 Fish'r
    Just make sure you take care of your main and do the maintenance! There are many ocean vessels with nothing more than a single main and no redundancy. Many commercial single screw vessels with thousands of hours.... I spend hundreds of hours in my old Chris Craft single screw....

Epirb and a good VHF are a must!

Epirb is on the list too. But damn those are expensive.

Upvote 0

G-Spot

Captain
  • Mar 14, 2008
    Salem/OR/USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    53’ Hatteras STEEL N TIME
    Epirb is on the list too. But damn those are expensive.

They are not that expensive! You can get a PLB on sale for around $200.00..... A full tilt 406 EPIRB around $400-$500....

You have to make a choice when and where to cut corners.... there is a difference in dying for your passion and just being wreck less.... still your choice, but you will meet some scrutiny along the way...

Reactions: Team Sency
    Upvote 0

Hard Chargin'

Fischjäger
    Aug 11, 2019
    PNW
    Name
    Andre
    Boat
    Stabicraft 459 Fish'r
    They are not that expensive! You can get a PLB on sale for around $200.00..... A full tilt 406 EPIRB around $400-$500....

You have to make a choice when and where to cut corners.... there is a difference in dying for your passion and just being wreck less.... still your choice, but you will meet some scrutiny along the way...

Epirb or Kicker. Right now I can't afford either. When I can, which should I get first?

Upvote 0

critterkiller

AKA Cohobankie
    Jul 18, 2012
    W.Seattle
    Name
    Jefe'
    Boat
    1998 Tiderunner Pt. Defiance
    Dude, if you can't afford either maybe consider a different hobby or jump on someone else's boat. Love the ambition but there is a line between stupid and adventurous.

What happened to our guy on here in his 19ft aluminum chasing tuna solo 40 miles from shore? I remember fishing with my wifes uncle. We are trying to get Coleman and we get Mark from the sea, 30 miles from westport just chugging along in five ft swells. MARK where ya at?

Man get a kicker or a vhf with DSC so at least the coasties can find your body and boat.

If you need adventure bring your boat to B'Ham with some gale force winds and cross Bellingham Bay. You will get enough adventure in that mess. Get through Rosario and it can be a magical place with fish, beer and islands all protected from the chaos of wind surrounding the islands. At least that is what I am told. A mermaid mentioned it to me one day and then a leprechaun echoed the same story.

Thanks for the adventure story, sounded fun, as I love adventures trips.

Upvote 0

Hard Chargin'

Fischjäger
    Aug 11, 2019
    PNW
    Name
    Andre
    Boat
    Stabicraft 459 Fish'r
    Dude, if you can't afford either maybe consider a different hobby or jump on someone else's boat. Love the ambition but there is a line between stupid and adventurous.

What happened to our guy on here in his 19ft aluminum chasing tuna solo 40 miles from shore? I remember fishing with my wifes uncle. We are trying to get Coleman and we get Mark from the sea, 30 miles from westport just chugging along in five ft swells. MARK where ya at?

Man get a kicker or a vhf with DSC so at least the coasties can find your body and boat.

If you need adventure bring your boat to B'Ham with some gale force winds and cross Bellingham Bay. You will get enough adventure in that mess. Get through Rosario and it can be a magical place with fish, beer and islands all protected from the chaos of wind surrounding the islands. At least that is what I am told. A mermaid mentioned it to me one day and then a leprechaun echoed the same story.

Thanks for the adventure story, sounded fun, as I love adventures trips.

I've got a vhf with dcs. And I never said I was smart. I just love fishing. I gonna die on the water someday and I'm OK with that.

Also 5 foot swells 30 miles offshore isn't very scary.

But I do like adventures. Which is why I'm chasing Marlin in a couple weeks down in SoCal!!

Upvote 0

WaveDancer

Fishing The Pacific Ocean & Puget Sound Since 1969
    Aug 26, 2008
    Kitsap/Westport, WA
    Name
    Ken
    Boat
    Prowling for a Cat
    Upvote 0

Hard Chargin'

Fischjäger
    Aug 11, 2019
    PNW
    Name
    Andre
    Boat
    Stabicraft 459 Fish'r
    Is the cost of a PLB or EPIRB not really worth your life?

WD

I think a lot of you guys think that when I say I can't afford things you think I'm just being cheap. I literally have about $50 in my bank account. I live tank of gas to tank of gas. I don't know where the next one is coming from. I sleep in the back seat of my truck most nights. I don't have a lot going for me but I live to fish. I don't have a fancy boat or high dollar equipment. Everything is second hand and well used. I am working my butt off trying to make a living fishing. I'm hoping that if I can place in one of these tournaments that I can get a little attention and some kind of break through. But until then I'm fighting to get my boat to and from the launch. I don't want to sound snotty or rude but I'm making this my full-time job and it's pretty hard. So I'd appreciate it if you guys would stop giving me a hard time about the things I don't have. I know I don't have them, and I know I should. But I can't make them just appear and I can't stop fishing. It's my only source of income right now.

Andre

Reactions: NW-Quackhead
    Upvote 0

Captain Decent

The Bert makes ‘em Squirt
    Nov 2, 2017
    Covington, wa
    Name
    Ryan
    Boat
    The Bert Makes ’em Squirt
    How is it a source of income? Honest question. Your overhead is certainly lower than most but if I won every tuna tournament in the NW, I could still write off heavy losses at the end of the year.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Hard Chargin'

Fischjäger
    Aug 11, 2019
    PNW
    Name
    Andre
    Boat
    Stabicraft 459 Fish'r
    How is it a source of income? Honest question. Your overhead is certainly lower than most but if I won every tuna tournament in the NW, I could still write off heavy losses at the end of the year.

I have a couple of small sponsors and honestly it's not even close to enough. Most of it goes to fuel. I just eat what I can catch lots of times.

Upvote 0

Hard Chargin'

Fischjäger
    Aug 11, 2019
    PNW
    Name
    Andre
    Boat
    Stabicraft 459 Fish'r
    Don't get me wrong guys I love this. I'm not trying to make anyone feel sorry for me. I chose this. I love fishing and right now I'm getting paid to do it. Even if I'm barely breaking even. I get to fish. It's a dream come true. But it's just hard. My fishing trips arent exactly luxury vacations.

Reactions: Corey G
    Upvote 0

TimeZoned

24’ Hewes Alaskan
    Apr 27, 2013
    Port Orchard
    Name
    Jeff
    Boat
    24’ Hewes Alaskan
    If you’re trying to make a living fishing why not start out deck handing in one of the charters? I just saw a post recently where one of them was looking for someone for October due to theirs going back to school

Upvote 0

Nineball

Let’s goooo!
    Jul 16, 2012
    Port orchard
    Name
    Chris
    Boat
    Parker 2310 "GUANO LOCO"
    I've seen you out by seal rock in past years. I also was the first person you met at the ramp for the WTC. You said you were going to fish it solo. I was like "whuht?"

I have an old suzi 4hp 2-stroke shortie that you can hang on there for the rest of this season. She ain't been fired up in years but ran first pull when I put her in the shop

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Team Sency

Fish!! Or be Fished!!!
    Jan 6, 2012
    Black Diamond
    Name
    Chris
    Boat
    JuiceBox2
    I'm doing the best I can with what I've got.

Andre....folks are loving your adventures and just looking out for you.

Kicker or Epirb? I don’t have an Epirb, but certainly should get one.

If what you hit took out your lower unit, a kicker could have kept you going in right direction. VHF for help. So I lean towards kicker to keep you out of trouble.

If what you hit instantly brought on water? Epirb. You determine the percentages.

You also just do you and as Gspot said, keep up maintenance.

If Nineball decides to sell you the Suk...I’m sure a batch of us would BDcrowdfishfund.

Reactions: Big Scotch
    Upvote 0

wdlfbio

Once you go Cat, you never go back
    Sep 15, 2008
    Olympia, WA
    Name
    laurence
    Boat
    2021 Allied WildCat 30
    You picked a rough hobby to actually try to make any money at it, especially how you’re going about it. Sounds like deckhanding could get you a lot further economically. And then use that xtra coin to better outfit your hobby. Hell, many of the captains offer a place to sleep too.

I have a second PLB in my ditch box sitting on SlapShot. I wear mine and Norm/Carrie keep an EPIRB in their ditch bag. I haven’t checked the battery this year, but I will this weekend. If it’s still good, it’s yours, if you’ll actually wear it! You might need to have the battery replaced and you’ll need to reassign it to you and give a new emergency contact.

Upvote 0

Hard Chargin'

Fischjäger
    Aug 11, 2019
    PNW
    Name
    Andre
    Boat
    Stabicraft 459 Fish'r
    If you’re trying to make a living fishing why not start out deck handing in one of the charters?

I've thought about it. This just allows me to adventure more freely. Maybe I'll have to resort to something else later but I'm busting my butt trying to make this work for now.

I've seen you out by seal rock in past years. I also was the first person you met at the ramp for the WTC. You did you were going to fish it solo. I was like "whuht?"

I have an old suzi 4hp 2-stroke shortie that you can hang on there for the rest of this season. She ain't been fired up in years but ran first pull when I put her in the shop

I spend a lot of time out of Neah Bay so it's no surprise you saw me out there. You got me on a lucky day though because I rarely fish inside. I really appreciate your offer and I might take you up on it. I've really been holding out for a 4 stroke so I can plumb it into my main tank and not have to mix fuel on the go. I really appreciate the offer, it's really generous.

Andre....folks are loving your adventures and just looking out for you.

Kicker or Epirb? I don’t have an Epirb, but certainly should get one.

If what you hit took out your lower unit, a kicker could have kept you going in right direction. VHF for help. So I lean towards kicker to keep you out of trouble.

If what you hit instantly brought on water? Epirb. You determine the percentages.

You also just do you and as Gspot said, keep up maintenance.

I'm glad people enjoy keeping up. And these are all scenarios I have contemplated. Probably whichever one I prepare for is the one that won't happen.

You picked a rough hobby to actually try to make any money at it, especially how you’re going about it. Sounds like deckhanding could get you a lot further economically. And then use that xtra coin to better outfit your hobby. Hell, many of the captains offer a place to sleep too.

I have a second PLB in my ditch box sitting on SlapShot. I wear mine and Norm/Carrie keep an EPIRB in their ditch bag. I haven’t checked the battery this year, but I will this weekend. If it’s still good, it’s yours, if you’ll actually wear it! You might need to have the battery replaced and you’ll need to reassign it to you and give a new emergency contact.

Laurence, that is an extremely generous offer and I will definitely take you up on it. I wear my life jacked every time I'm on the water alone regardless of how nice the weather is and a PLB would be no exception. And you could consider it a loaner. I'll buy you a new one when I can.

And guys I know you are all just looking out for my and worried for my safety and I honestly really appreciate it. If this whole thing doesn't work out the way I want then I can go do something else but this is what I love like most people here. I appreciate the support. I'll definitely keep everyone posted on where I go and what I do.

This weekend I'm going to Canada to fish and camp with some friends. But I'll be firmly planted on shore. I'm not taking the boat :(

Upvote 0

TonyG

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Nov 19, 2010
    Snohomish, WA
    Name
    Tony
    Boat
    NR Seahawk OS 26'; 20' Alumaweld Super Vee Sled
    I've thought about it. This just allows me to adventure more freely. Maybe I'll have to resort to something else later but I'm busting my butt trying to make this work for now.

I spend a lot of time out of Neah Bay so it's no surprise you saw me out there. You got me on a lucky day though because I rarely fish inside. I really appreciate your offer and I might take you up on it. I've really been holding out for a 4 stroke so I can plumb it into my main tank and not have to mix fuel on the go. I really appreciate the offer, it's really generous.

I'm glad people enjoy keeping up. And these are all scenarios I have contemplated. Probably whichever one I prepare for is the one that won't happen.

Laurence, that is an extremely generous offer and I will definitely take you up on it. I wear my life jacked every time I'm on the water alone regardless of how nice the weather is and a PLB would be no exception. And you could consider it a loaner. I'll buy you a new one when I can.

And guys I know you are all just looking out for my and worried for my safety and I honestly really appreciate it. If this whole thing doesn't work out the way I want then I can go do something else but this is what I love like most people here. I appreciate the support. I'll definitely keep everyone posted on where I go and what I do.

This weekend I'm going to Canada to fish and camp with some friends. But I'll be firmly planted on shore. I'm not taking the boat :(
    I used to overextend a too small boat with not sufficient safety equipment too. I was piss poor. I did always have a kicker and vhf. But not much more.

I was young and couldn't die. I didn't. I'm glad. Buti did not make good decisions.

Best of luck to you but you are massively overextended. I hope you dont have an issue.

Upvote 0

Nineball

Let’s goooo!
    Jul 16, 2012
    Port orchard
    Name
    Chris
    Boat
    Parker 2310 "GUANO LOCO"
    The kicker has a small tank built in. Get a fuel line with a primer bulb and also a collapsible fuel bladder (or 1 gallon can). While the kicker is running out the first tank of fuel you have time to fill up the aux tank from the main and add oil that you already have onboard.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Captain Decent

The Bert makes ‘em Squirt
    Nov 2, 2017
    Covington, wa
    Name
    Ryan
    Boat
    The Bert Makes ’em Squirt
    I've got a vhf with dcs. And I never said I was smart. I just love fishing. I gonna die on the water someday and I'm OK with that.

Also 5 foot swells 30 miles offshore isn't very scary.

But I do like adventures. Which is why I'm chasing Marlin in a couple weeks down in SoCal!!

Sorry bro I don’t mean to pile on and I am far from the safety champion here but the second paragraph is concerning. Make sure you don’t get lulled into a false sense of security. This year has been both the best weather and best tuna fishing I’ve ever seen in my life.

If you lose that main from the thousand possible ways to disable it and get into weather you’re going the fuck overboard. The stabi should float well enough but I don’t think it has any magical powers to keep it upright when wind waves stack on that weak little 5ft swell that just built to 10.

Upvote 0