Hard Chargin'

Fischjäger
Aug 11, 2019
PNW
Name
Andre
Boat
Stabicraft 459 Fish'r
Hey gents. It's been a few days and I've got everything cleaned up and I'm mostly recovered.

I planned my second tuna trip around the OTC because I had so much fun at the WTC. So I make my way down on Tuesday night because I wanted to get a couple good days of pre fishing in and be more competitive.

I sleep in the back seat of the truck like I always do. And first thing Wednesday morning I make my way to the docks to see about launch and moorage. I'm met by a friendly old soul named Jeff. He seems to run the show at the Garibaldi Marina. Great guy and they have a nice little shop. It reminds me of Big Salmon at Neah Bay back in the 90's. Anyway I get my slip and decide I want to check things out.

So I push out into the bay and tune to VHF 16. The weather seemed ok but the bar is closed. So I figure I'll just drop a crab pot and troll for salmon. I troll around for a couple hours and nothing. 1 little takedown. I pull my pot and 1 Large male dungie. The wind picks up a bit early after noon and the rain starts coming down. I'm in shorts and a sweatshirt with no rain gear to speak of in my little open top 15' stabi and it sucks. But at least it's not cold.

So I pull up and head in to get cleaned up and dry off. I find myself some rain gear in town too. By the time I get back to the dock the rain has cleared up and it's actually a pleasant evening. So I get out my pot and decide to have my crab for dinner. He didn't really want to die but I was hungry, guess who won. I make my bed in the truck again and hope for better weather tomorrow.

Well, Thursday sucked too. Raining and the bar was closed. So I trolled for salmon and dropped my pot. I decided to see if I could get anything off the bottom jigging and started pulling in little shiner perch. Tiny ones but that was fun for a while. But same story, no salmon and only 1 crab. I decide to let him live and that I'm gonna have a steak for dinner. So I go to the store and get a new York and cook that baby up. Hit the sack again and hope Friday is better. Because man, I really need to find the tuna.

I wake up before dark on Friday and it's socked in. No way in hell am I crossing a bar for the first time in the dark in the fog in rough conditions. So I wait till around 7am, check the report. And it's open!!! So I head out and follow a boat through. It wasnt bad at all but the rough bar sign was going off so I expected much worse.

Well the ocean pretty much sucked. 6-8 foot at 9 or 10 seconds with 3 foot of wind chop. You could say I got a little wet. It was slow going for sure. It took me almost 3 hours to go 25 miles. I wanted to get closer to 40 but it was such slow going I decided to take my chance where I was. So I drop a line, adjust the heading into the waves and reach for the second rod. Bam! First rod starts singing! So I'm happy as a clam I don't have anything else in so I throttle back and start fighting this guy in. He feels a little bigger than other tuna I've caught so I'm excited. Get him to the boat, net him and sure shooting he's a nice fish. Into the cooler he goes. I had a line in the water for 30 seconds and already had one in the boat. I was sure it'd be a good day. Well not exactly, the seas got worse and I continued to troll for 3 more hours with nothing.

There was a big coast guard cutter out there and they had deployed a RHIB to inspect commercial vessels. I can see this RHIB busting waves headed for a big netter close to me when I see them alter course. They are now heading straight for me. And I'm thinking, really guys? You want to board me in this slop? I don't think it's a good idea, so I get my dry box out so I can show the. I've been inspected and I was good to go. When they get close I can see them hailing me so I throttle back and the pull up along side me. Everyone in there boat is looking at me real funny because here I am 25 miles out in terrible seas in a 15 foot boat fishing alone. "Are you fishing the tuna classic?" the helmsman asks. "Yep" I reply. They all kind of exchange glances and the guy at the helm says "well if you need anything were on 16". "I know" is my reply. " Well you have a good day sir, and good luck". "Thanks guys, you be safe out there" I say and they all look at me like I'm crazy haha.

Anyway after another hour I decide to call it. So I head back in. Another slow trip. I get back and start getting ready for the captains meeting. I clean my fish. Take care of the boat and drive over to the big tent. I get to the tent and I meet some really cool guys Scott from Miss K and Rod from Dark Knight 2. Great friendly guys who are both super welcoming and inviting. They couldn't believe that I was out fishing in that weather and all start to debate the physical size of some portions of my anatomy. I get some good info from them. They both caught quite a few fish. Rod is very kind and generously offers to let me borrow a kill bag after the meeting.

We head down to the dock and he shows me what he has. 1 huge kill bag or 2 smaller ones. Based on my past luck I decide it's best if I take the 2 small ones. Little did I know this would cost me terribly.

Saturday morning. Game day. It was super exciting and man I love the atmosphere. Everyone is in their boats, roll call. And the start. I wait back for a few minutes because I don't want the wake slop. The weather is great so I'm cruising out at a healthy 22 mph. Rod and I had arranged to buddy boat, he told me about where he was the day before and we both decided to go there.

About 40 minutes into the cruise I hit something submerged, and I hit it hard. I'm super worried because I don't have a kicker. But everything still feels fine and whatever it was stayed off the prop. I turned back to see what it was and couldn't find anything. Must have been a sunfish.

So finally I get out to where I want to fish, and I troll for an hour, nothing nothing nothing. I'm starting to get discouraged and I hail Rod on the radio to see how they are doing. Bam! 2 rods start singing I get them both in and the first one is a bruiser. And it was literally nonstop from there on. I was getting doubles and tripples left and right. Around 10:00 I had 14 in the boat and I had no room left. So I started throwing them back hoping for a big one or a pelagic. It continues with non stop action and I throw another 15 back until around 13:00. When my ice is starting to melt a lot. So I figure I better call it.

The cruise back in was super nice and I hail tournament control about weighing fish. I ask if I can sort on the dock or if I need to do it on the boat. On the boat they say. So I cruise in and anchor up in the marina and start trying to find the big ones. This is where I wish I had a scale. I get the ones I like the best. But I don't have enough room in my little boat to lay them all out any look at them so I do the best I can. I weigh in at 80.10 lbs. With my PR :)!

I head back to my slip to clean my other fish and this is where I notice my error. I found another 17 pounder at the bottom of my cooler. I didn't think much of it because it wasn't a great weight anyway but I still kicked myself a bit. I really need a scale. I screwed myself out of around 5 pounds at least.

At the awards banquet I kicked myself even harder. The winning weight was 94 and 3rd was high 80's!!! I ended up in 14th place, if I had weighed just that 1 fish differently I might have been on the podium, certainly top 5. But such is life. We learn.

The awards banquet was awesome with some great prizes and a friendly atmosphere. I even got a shout-out from Del for solo fishing and working my butt off. It was a great time. I made tons of new friends caught the most tuna of my life and I'll definitely be back next year!

IMG_20190824_154249.jpg IMG_20190824_154407.jpg IMG_20190823_103747.jpg IMG_20190821_190646.jpg Screenshot_20190827-232542.png

Upvote 0

Big Scotch

May 23, 2019
Tacoma
Name
Dylan
Boat
North River 24 OS “We Be Clubbin’”
Great post! You are a tuna warrior bro! I thought they had a 6 fish limit in Oregon? Probably not for sport guys, must be a charter thing. All trolling?

Upvote 0

Hard Chargin'

Fischjäger
Aug 11, 2019
PNW
Name
Andre
Boat
Stabicraft 459 Fish'r
If they had a 6 fish limit then lots of us were illegal so I hope not.

Tuna Warrior. I like that. Now let me find a good tattoo artist...

And yes. All on the troll. That's pretty much all I know how to do haha.

Reactions: Big Scotch
Upvote 0

Team Sency

Fish!! Or be Fished!!!
Jan 6, 2012
Black Diamond
Name
Chris
Boat
JuiceBox2
Andre...I know not my job to spend your $$.

My first boat was the 16’ Campion CC and I went everywhere in that sucker!

For weight concerns I went with a 4hp Yami kicker and it kicked ass. You really need to add one! I know you know this.

Keep up the adventures!

Upvote 0

Hard Chargin'

Fischjäger
Aug 11, 2019
PNW
Name
Andre
Boat
Stabicraft 459 Fish'r
yamaha 6hp tiller

Thanks Benjamin. If I could afford that I'd consider it. I'd probably also have a hand scale and a kill bag haha.

I was actually considering a Honda 2 hp. One of the air cooled ones.

Andre

Upvote 0

G-Spot

Captain
  • Mar 14, 2008
    Salem/OR/USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    53’ Hatteras STEEL N TIME
    If they had a 6 fish limit then lots of us were illegal so I hope not.

Tuna Warrior. I like that. Now let me find a good tattoo artist...

And yes. All on the troll. That's pretty much all I know how to do haha.

It is my understanding that the charters hope to get 5-6 fish per person and if they load up reserve the right to stop early if they catch 6 per person. The passengers on a charter have a standard license that has the same limit as any other sport fisherman (25 per person).

The charters have kind of a unwritten rule to try not to exceed that. Their goal is to get a “hand” or 5 fish per person and some days that can be pretty tough.... 12-14 people 60-80 fish...... this year is great many years they get 20-30 fish.... last year I think they cancelled most trips due to weather...

Upvote 0

Team Sency

Fish!! Or be Fished!!!
    Jan 6, 2012
    Black Diamond
    Name
    Chris
    Boat
    JuiceBox2
    It is my understanding that the charters hope to get 5-6 fish per person and if they load up reserve the right to stop early if they catch 6 per person. The passengers on a charter have a standard license that has the same limit as any other sport fisherman (25 per person).

The charters have kind of a unwritten rule to try not to exceed that. Their goal is to get a “hand” or 5 fish per person and some days that can be pretty tough.... 12-14 people 60-80 fish...... this year is great many years they get 20-30 fish.... last year I think they cancelled most trips due to weather...

Must be the new boat!!!....but been a lot friendlier and nicer Gpot!!

Upvote 0

Hard Chargin'

Fischjäger
    Aug 11, 2019
    PNW
    Name
    Andre
    Boat
    Stabicraft 459 Fish'r
    Fuck that! What are you doing Saturday Andre? I’ve got a place to crash in Tokeland, kill bags and all the shit to kill tuna minus the boat! Hahahahaha!!!

I'd totally take you up on that if I didn't have plans this weekend already. I'm going to see my GF in Bellingham if I don't have to go to a funeral. Maybe next weekend??

Upvote 0

Swede

Yachtless
  • May 2, 2008
    Pacific Northwest
    Name
    Swede
    Boat
    Kristen Lee
    Fuck that! What are you doing Saturday Andre? I’ve got a place to crash in Tokeland, kill bags and all the shit to kill tuna minus the boat! Hahahahaha!!!
    I’m down with my brah Corey. How much weight can that boat hold. We might sink it.

Upvote 0