Dakine_Malihini

Well-Known "Member"
Dec 8, 2009
Maui
Name
Dakine_Malihini
Boat
Extra Large Tabis
For all you dumb ass tree huggers, I suggest you join the wwf site unless you want to get beat on in the garbage dump on bloody decks!
Thank god for dis thread, eh?

Finally got a place where you and your anger problem can
hang out and have a drink :hali_olutta:

or two :hali_olutta::hali_olutta:

or three:hali_olutta::hali_olutta::hali_olutta:

Then you can really let that winning personality of your shine on through:Death_To_Above:

ratboy

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Nov 18, 2006
sc
Name
jason
Boat
katie sea
I'll keep this focused on Mahi because that's where it started but I agree that many have serious problems with Shibi fishing. I think just about everyone agrees that a small Mahi like 9lbs is a baby or rat. Average size is probably about 20-25. Under 10 goes back in the water for me if I can.

Now... the question is... would you catch 30 of them? That's where this started. I only made the suggestion that when you remove a large group you lose out on the future... i.e. leave the small ones alone and move on. It was a friendly suggestion that grew into something larger. It is a message board.

Don't get me wrong... I'm over this. I had some free time lately and quite honestly I've spent way too much time on this. I am amazed at the lack of concern with that many rats removed. I'd swear I was chatting in a California thread or something. Kinda surprised were talking about HAWAII of all places??

But like I said, I'm sure there are many who feel the same way I do but don't want to get flamed (as experienced myself and the couple others who voiced a similar opinion). It's been fun but not worth my time.

Time to focus on making some $$$ like the Jobs figures and the market tomorrow.

Right on with your community contributions!
You are f-ing high if the average mahi is 20 to 25 lbs !

Kill em All !!!!!!!!! the babies are like veal, oh so tender!

grander007

May 10, 2007
Honolulu
Name
zzzz
Boat
46, Bertram, Deep Blue
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz............fish on........zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz..................

Dakine_Malihini

Well-Known "Member"
Dec 8, 2009
Maui
Name
Dakine_Malihini
Boat
Extra Large Tabis
Hey, look who's calling the kettle black.
The difference being that Grander shows zero civility in his interactions.
Dig back through my posts and see how many ad hominem attacks on people you can find

He's a troll, and most of his posts consist of baiting and insulting anyone
with a different opinion.

You know it, and most of the guys on here know it...they just don't want to
say anything. I've seen a few threads get close here, and he's usually played a part in it.

grander007

May 10, 2007
Honolulu
Name
zzzz
Boat
46, Bertram, Deep Blue
Whine whine whine...don't kill too many mahis on a single trip...whine whine whine...three posts in a row with no responses in between...whine whine whine...:rofl:

I have actually posted up some big fish pics, congratulated others for their fish, and started a bunch of interesting threads....

All you do is whine...I am going to stop wasting my time responding to you but I will keep posting up fish reports and congratulating others that use this forum to report fish catches. :waglleybooty:

hopu kahi

hopu's
Jul 15, 2009
haiku
Name
captin
Boat
22force
Well I'am the mahi killer..... that started all this BS, happy to say ive been busy killing every thing that bites my hook, no one or 31 fish too small for me!!! what is not taken to the market is used for bait!!!!! Its my way of life, one small man and a lil blue boat.........there is no way one or one hunderd small boats(under 60') can eaven dent the fish population, shibis, aku mahi or those basterd marlins.... I have yet to see that day.......point and fact no tree huggers are fisher man's or depend on fishing for a meal or $$$$$. I think the trash in the oceans is affecting the fish more than the fishermans way of life, next time you land lovers drink one of your plastic water bottles try and think that you may recycle the bottle but the caps will most likeley end up in our oceans and end up in one of the fish i catch........
Wana bitch about over fishing hawaii try our reefs,!!!! thanks to dlnr for all the years of nothing but generating $$$$ for the state with ramp fee's and citations...
try to find an ulua or uhu or any decent fish to eat you will be forced to take an under sized one if ur lucky to find one... There is no end to the raping and pillage of our reefs because there is no control over what is taken and they are taking EVERY THING off the reef......other countries have seen it like the guy said"in samoa no more fish inside!!!!!" so that same attitude about reef fishing is being brought here to HAWAII... I see it all the time, not gona name a race or country but they are armed with a three prong and light and that's that!! the fish dont stand a chance..
soon we will be like the rest of the pacific no reef fish to eat....

food for thought????

Wake UP!!!!

hopu kahi

hopu's
Jul 15, 2009
haiku
Name
captin
Boat
22force
IMHO most of who have grown up here have learned to respect the ocean and its inhabitants. Sometimes throwing a couple back doesn't hurt, sometimes its does, you need to be the judge. I know at least there are places here that have been holding fish for over 50 years. You cannot be a fisherman and be greedy. If you go menpachi fishing and come home with 1500lb you have practically ruined the ecosystem there. I know there are guys who do this, but I also know the most of us don't do this. There is a lot of fish out there... more then I'll ever catch even if I were to fish and catch 30 mahis everyday. If you take care of the ocean it will take care of you. There are people I know who won't even keep an uku if its under 25lb, although most of us will gladly keep 5lbers... who's right and wrong? everyones situations are different.

More energy needs to be spent on the people catching 90-95% of the fish (longliners, etc...) although it seems like 90-95% of the energy goes toward blaming & restricting the common everyday fisherman. Stopping the "big boys" is the ONLY way to stop over fishing. They will catch more fish in one trip than I will catch in a lifetime.

thats the right attitude, pro active!, restrict the ll boats and netting tuna thats the real problem not the rec. fisherman's catching shibi....:2gunsfiring_v1:

Dakine_Malihini

Well-Known "Member"
Dec 8, 2009
Maui
Name
Dakine_Malihini
Boat
Extra Large Tabis
Congrats on getting the last word in. Now run back to your tree and hug it tight, it's getting lonely.
I'm a fisherman. Maybe Outdoorsman and Sportsman would cover it
better.

With the attitudes some of these other guys have about catching
fish, I don't know if they qualify in either of the latter categories.
(some. I'm not trying to paint everyone. I know a lot of people
who fish from both boats and shore who do care)

What started all of this is my assertion that anyone who states the
opinion that Hawaii needs better conservation practices when it
comes to fishing is shouted down and called a "treehugger". Thanks
for helping dispel that.

Dakine_Malihini

Well-Known "Member"
Dec 8, 2009
Maui
Name
Dakine_Malihini
Boat
Extra Large Tabis
Well I'am the mahi killer..... that started all this BS, happy to say ive been busy killing every thing that bites my hook, no one or 31 fish too small for me!!! what is not taken to the market is used for bait!!!!! Its my way of life, one small man and a lil blue boat.........there is no way one or one hunderd small boats(under 60') can eaven dent the fish population, shibis, aku mahi or those basterd marlins.... I have yet to see that day.......point and fact no tree huggers are fisher man's or depend on fishing for a meal or $$$$$. I think the trash in the oceans is affecting the fish more than the fishermans way of life, next time you land lovers drink one of your plastic water bottles try and think that you may recycle the bottle but the caps will most likeley end up in our oceans and end up in one of the fish i catch........
Wana bitch about over fishing hawaii try our reefs,!!!! thanks to dlnr for all the years of nothing but generating $$$$ for the state with ramp fee's and citations...
try to find an ulua or uhu or any decent fish to eat you will be forced to take an under sized one if ur lucky to find one... There is no end to the raping and pillage of our reefs because there is no control over what is taken and they are taking EVERY THING off the reef......other countries have seen it like the guy said"in samoa no more fish inside!!!!!" so that same attitude about reef fishing is being brought here to HAWAII... I see it all the time, not gona name a race or country but they are armed with a three prong and light and that's that!! the fish dont stand a chance..
soon we will be like the rest of the pacific no reef fish to eat....

food for thought????

Wake UP!!!!

For the record, I didn't make any comment on anyones Mahi catch.
That was started by some guy called "ASKMELATER". I just weighed
in my general opinion of attitudes towards fisihng in Hawaii, which
aren't nearly as conservation minded as most places in the U.S.

Since ASKMELATER is gone, people here are apparently assigning
his early posts to me

I also made some comments about the mob mentality in this forum,
where you've got people jumping down the throat of, and hurling
insults at, anyone who disagrees with them. I go to a number of
fishing forums, and this is the only place I've seen attitudes like this.

I originally came to this forum because a friend of mine who owns
a boat was showing me some photos. I can appreciate a nice catch,
but I've seen some stuff that I thought was over the top. In fact,
so did my friend, and some other Hawaii fisherman I showed particular
catches to.

As for the reefs, I can't disagree with that. They're in bad shape.
for numerous reasons that go beyond the DLNR or fishing. I fish
for Ulua sometimes, but my attitude toward keeping them has really
changed after going to some of the weigh-ins for the tournaments,
especially on the Big Island....the number big breeders taken out
of the water in the name of "prestige" or winning prizes is ridiculous.
Yep, there is plenty of night poaching of the Uhu as well. I've even
heard that guys are doing it in the Kaho'olawe Reserve.

When I talk about the general attitude toward fishing in Hawaii, I'm not
just talking about boats....I'm talking about ALL fishing, shoreline included.

I don't see how anyone can be a fisherman without also being an Environmentalist. Your ability to catch fish, and your kids ability to
catch fish, depends on it.

grander007

May 10, 2007
Honolulu
Name
zzzz
Boat
46, Bertram, Deep Blue
?...no way one or one hunderd small boats(under 60') can eaven dent the fish population, shibis, aku mahi or those basterd marlins.... I have yet to see that day.......point and fact no tree huggers are fisher man's or depend on fishing for a meal or $$$$$. I think the trash in the oceans is affecting the fish more than the fisherman way of life, next time you land lovers drink one of your plastic water bottles try and think that you may recycle the bottle but the caps will most likeley end up in our oceans ...

food for thought????

Wake UP!!!!
Well said...here's an interesting article along those lines...

PCFFA Fishermen's News Oct. 2006: Conservation Lite

Tight lines,

LundieF

Jul 3, 2009
Haiku
Name
Lundie
Boat
20' Shamrock WA, Maka 'oi 'oi II
Yep, there is plenty of night poaching of the Uhu as well.
Totally legal. Though it definitely shouldn't be, in my opinion. And even if they did ban it it would just keep happening. Zero enforcement of the rules cause the state just doesn't give a shit. But try drinking a beer down on Big Beach and watch DLNR enforcement come screaming up on their quad to harass you. What a pathetic waste of money and man hours.

grander007

May 10, 2007
Honolulu
Name
zzzz
Boat
46, Bertram, Deep Blue
Interesting...our tax dollars at work...I guess if it's legal it's not 'poaching.'

Tight lines,

Dakine_Malihini

Well-Known "Member"
Dec 8, 2009
Maui
Name
Dakine_Malihini
Boat
Extra Large Tabis
Totally legal. Though it definitely shouldn't be, in my opinion. And even if they did ban it it would just keep happening. Zero enforcement of the rules cause the state just doesn't give a shit. But try drinking a beer down on Big Beach and watch DLNR enforcement come screaming up on their quad to harass you. What a pathetic waste of money and man hours.
I know some people who work for DLNR and DAR...some of whom post of this board. An overabundance of funding has never been a big problem for them.
They're hanging by a shoestring most of the time, and barely able to open
positions. They have to pick and choose the trouble spots. I imagine they
target Big Beach because there has been so much trouble in the Makena area in the past. Not so much resource violations, but brawls and attacks.

As for poaching, I was referring more to what I've heard about guys sneaking into Reserves at night and taking Uhu.

In other areas, well, what do you call it when someone bags a sleeping fish cocooned in mucus? I guess it comes down to ethics...which should be a seperate issue from what is legal.

LundieF

Jul 3, 2009
Haiku
Name
Lundie
Boat
I'm sure they are super underfunded, part of the state "not giving a shit." Definitely gotta pick and choose their spots, I just would like to see more focus on the fishing enforcement aspect of things, probably because I fish and dive. Hard for me to see how busting some father of 3 for having a beer on the beach is more important than the guy coming out of the water down the coast with a stringer of 8" uhus and speared lobsters.

No blame to the guys on the ground, I know they're just doing their jobs

Last edited:

grander007

May 10, 2007
Honolulu
Name
zzzz
Boat
46, Bertram, Deep Blue
I know some really good 'micro' fishermen and some really dumb macro tree huggers...maybe we can get that dude w/the fish and lobsters to post on BD?

LundieF

Jul 3, 2009
Haiku
Name
Lundie
Boat
I know some really good 'micro' fishermen and some really dumb macro tree huggers...maybe we can get that dude w/the fish and lobsters to post on BD?
ah, that was a stupid comment on my part. I got nothing against those guys as long as they're not poaching