Papa "J"

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • May 8, 2003
    OffShore
    Name
    Jason
    Boat
    Grady White 272 Sailfish
    My garbage disposal is leaking from the bottom. Not going to try and fix it they are cheap enough to just replace it. I had a Badger 5.

Was wondering if anyone had any other recommendations that thought was a better product...

Mine was 1/2 hp but thinking of going to 3/4hp. any advantage? My last one lasted about 10 years.

Upvote 0

kindafishy

Jul 21, 2010
    hemet/ca/riverside
    Name
    SCOTT
    Boat
    bayliner cierra express 2452 "RYLEE'S WAVE RYDER"
    usually don't leak from the bottom. its most likely coming from the top and running down. possible quick fix...

garbage_disposal_mounting_ring.jpg

you can use a small hammer and lightly tap those highlighted "rings" in a clockwise direction. this will tighten the connection and will usually fix it. after years of use the vibration can cause this to back off a bit. minimal effort, could save a couple hundred$$

Reactions: marlyn and Vibora
    Upvote 0

Smudge

Moderate
    Mar 11, 2005
    Hollywood, FL
    www.sandiego-sportfishing.com
    Name
    Matt
    Boat
    I'm just a deckhand...
    If tightening the retaining ring doesn't do it as suggested above Jason, the new Insinkerator Essentials are fucking awesome. You can't even hear mine over the running water. When we bought the house down here it didn't have one installed. I went to Home Depot and got the Essential for a couple hundred bucks and I'm totally stoked with it. I seriously thought it wasn't working when I first ran it. I had to turn the water off and look in to see if the macerator was spinning! It's not even their top of the line. For another hundred you get their top end and it's supposedly even more ridiculous.

Reactions: Papa "J"
    Upvote 0

Papa "J"

• May 8, 2003
    OffShore
    Name
    Jason
    Boat
    Grady White 272 Sailfish
    Definitely leaking from the bottom of the unit. Only leaks when the unit is running and I can see the leak. Did some research and there is a seal in the bottom that eventually deteriorates. decided on a new one Got the insinkerator Evolution premier. Got it installed in less then 30 minutes with some slight drain modifications. Got this one but the Lowe's model.... Amazon product
    Super quite, figured that the last one lasted 12 years so for less than $15 per year I would upgrade a little.

Reactions: richardblufin
    Upvote 0

Gil Marlin

World Peace? Visualize Using Your Turn Indicator
    Nov 27, 2003
    Laguna Percebu Baja Norte
    Name
    Scott
    Boat
    19.655' Aluminum
    Jason, as mentioned here, disposals are over rated and should be only be used for the stuff that gets by the strainer basket. 1/2 HP models are usually sufficient, but if you want to spend more look at one that is quieter as an upgrade. Also, If you change the size of the disposal you will probably have to modify the existing plumbing...

Upvote 0

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
  • Nov 29, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Carl
    Boat
    everyone elses
    Jason, as mentioned here, disposals are over rated and should be only be used for the stuff that gets by the strainer basket. 1/2 HP models are usually sufficient, but if you want to spend more look at one that is quieter as an upgrade. Also, If you change the size of the disposal you will probably have to modify the existing plumbing...
    Read post #5. He's already done with the project.

Upvote 0

dalurker

old skool rules
    Dec 23, 2004
    Cyber Sea
    Name
    #%^&) !!!
    Boat
    my blood vessel
    retired C-36 service plumber here.
    the Badger is the bottom of the line apt rental disposal. the leak is probably through the body being the throat is made to rust away eventually. very little stainless is used on this model.

buy a new one.
    i used to put in the 333 "Pro-Series", but my supplier has a better deal on the "Evolution". higher quality for a few $$'s more, and better warranty.

the new kid (sorta) is the Moen Brand. they're actually NOT new, but Moen bought out the old "Whirlaway" brand. This brand utilizes the same "Quick Lock Mount" as InSinkErATor for ease of mounting.

moen is a bit cheaper than ISE, probably trying to lure in ISE monopoly on the market.

your choice is up to you. some like Ford, some like Chevy.

... that is all.

Upvote 0

la vida

Now I love our Prezzz!!!
    Jun 28, 2006
    El Cazonn on way to Florida
    Name
    Frank F
    Boat
    Boat-less (Sad)
    People really getting bored. We should revive the No nib,slits or whatever BODA.
    Anyway someone always pushing the rules.

Upvote 0

dalurker

old skool rules
    Dec 23, 2004
    Cyber Sea
    Name
    #%^&) !!!
    Boat
    my blood vessel
    People really getting bored. We should revive the No nib,slits or whatever BODA.
    Anyway someone always pushing the rules.
    (sniff~sniff) did someone say "SplitFin"? BOTD?
    you're giving away your age! Babe Of The Day has been gone for how long now!!

Last edited:
    Reactions: la vida
    Upvote 0