Game pics

Discussion in 'Hunting Discussion' started by Alice1952, Nov 27, 2017.

1. Alice1952

Alice1952 Member

Name:
    Alice Archer
    Boat:
    Real predator
    Just a few pics of Montana hunt

6E2160BA-F255-4DFC-930C-19254B013310.jpeg 9A6CB6E5-6134-47A8-981B-9C59227203A2.jpeg 705D3B2A-D365-4AD7-BA33-D7DB7AEE820C.jpeg 60DED349-CCC9-4419-9419-D165E8923F64.jpeg 663C13E8-E9EB-4B2A-A37A-E649F9CFEA96.jpeg

jimikinz, kbray001, 45king and 2 others like this.
  2. One Track

One Track Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Brent
    Boat:
    Blood
    Nice shot Alice. Great pics. Great hunt. Great story.

3. el Toro

el Toro I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Nate
    Boat:
    Artemis
    Wow, great success. Congrats. Would love to see some field photos too.

4. Bad To The Bone

Bad To The Bone Not old...Experienced

Name:
    Gerry
    Boat:
    Sold it!
    That's quite a haul. One hunting trip or several?

5. Aggro

Aggro Keepin my pimp hand strong!

Name:
    AGGRO
    Boat:
    skiff
    Thumbs up on that hunt.

6. Alice1952

Alice1952 Member

Name:
    Alice Archer
    Boat:
    Real predator
    We moved to Montana several years ago. So all the hunting was basically done in our back yard , within 10miles of our house over the season. The hard part over here is not getting to excited and shooting the first big deer you see. I keep telling myself this and every year I make the mistake and shoot to early. The day after I killed my buck a massive 5 x 5 whitetail with 10 inch eyeguards walks out within 150 feet of me and stands there. Maybe next year I will refrain from itchy trigger finger

surfgoose and 45king like this.
  7. surfgoose

surfgoose active geezer

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    whichever has the longest bunk
    The greatly increased numbers of opportunities you are experiencing will continue to add to your skills. But as far as reminding yourself not to shoot "the first big deer you see," it will also certainly happen in coming seasons that you will pass on an early opportunity or two in search of something bigger, and then bad weather or injury or something will occur and you will end up thinking regretfully about the earlier chance that was passed.

It has been written about by many sporting writers over the decades. In the 1950's when I began hunting as a lad I read a hunting story by Jack O'Connor in which he passed up a nice buck on the first afternoon of a hunt, hoping for better and not wanting the hunt to end too soon, and then never saw another buck even close in quality during the rest of a week of hunting.

His conclusion was that he was from that time forward going to follow the basic principle of never passing up an opportunity to take an animal that he would be glad to get a shot at on the last day of the hunt, if it presented itself even on the first day. And he racked up a whole museum of mounts following that rule for a bunch of years.

One time I dropped an antelope from the edge of a herd, and at the sound of the shot the herd scattered and a much bigger buck, unseen by us during the entire stalk because of being behind some brush, ran in a panic right by us within five yards. My guide was apologetic at the missed opportunity but I was fine with the one that I had dropped. It is a good feeling to know that somewhere out there is always going to be a worthy opponent, better than anything you have ever seen before. And there is always next year.

8. Alice1952

Alice1952 Member

Name:
    Alice Archer
    Boat:
    Real predator
    Your right. I’m learning from some of the real old timers over here about Friday deer, they are the ones that you shoot if you are going home on Saturday.

9. CaptJgray

CaptJgray I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jeff Gray
    Boat:
    hell no....
    After reading your end of the season post and Tally I would say that I disagree with that choice. You obviously are not gonna miss out on a few extra venison steaks if you don't shoot a big buck. Personaly I would hold out for a bruiser if I knew i had that many tag opportunities and the ability to fill my freezer so easily

10. Alice1952

Alice1952 Member

Name:
    Alice Archer
    Boat:
    Real predator
    Your right I should have stuck to my game plan and held out for a big whitetail like I wanted originally but when that 28 inch 4x4 mule deer I had to take him. I’m relatively new to living in Montana and after living in Washington state for 65 years where you shot the first buck you seen it’s hard. Just got back from the senior center where my wife and I donated about 100 lbs of venison and elk,what a good feeling.

11. baboltin

baboltin Member

Name:
    Brad
    Boat:
    n/a
    Where is the pic of the 28 inch 4x4 ?

12. Fish Sniper

Fish Sniper Member

Name:
    Marco Rojas
    Boat:
    PAJARO
  13. Alice1952

Alice1952 Member

Name:
    Alice Archer
    Boat:
    Real predator
    Sorry the picture of the 4x4 is on my son-in laws phone and he is back in Washington state, the gun used was a cooper 6.5 creedmore , 120 grain gmx bullets,

14. Fish Sniper

Fish Sniper Member

Name:
    Marco Rojas
    Boat:
    PAJARO
    excellent choice...