Galveston Poaching Pier Report

Discussion in 'Texas Fishing Reports' started by jwhit88, Apr 13, 2018.

1. jwhit88

jwhit88 Newbie

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    14' Kayak
    Went out to the pier on 91st street in Galveston and could not believe how many people were not tagging and poaching multiple bull reds. We called the game wardens a few times and so did a few other people but they never showed up.

The reds were running and we landed some nice fish. Here is the video

And a photo of me with a goofy smile.
    Jimmys 39.jpg

2. bobsled

bobsled Consumer

Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    N/A
    Are those good eating?

3. stella marina

stella marina Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Andrew
    Boat:
    Parker 2320, 16 Klamath cc, 10 ft Livingston "bass slayer"
    Reds are delicious, but I'm sure the smaller slot sized fish are best, just like striper.
    Brought some back from Florida, I was surprised how good it was.
    Nice catch!
    Some of the best fighting fish!

jwhit88 likes this.
  4. biggbass

biggbass Newbie

Name:
    chrisman
    Boat:
    18'6"rangerbassboat
    How the hell ya get those fatties out of the water and on the pier ? Then you release them ?

jwhit88 likes this.
  5. esgeo

esgeo Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Eric
    Boat:
    nope
    Absolutely not

6. bobsled

bobsled Consumer

Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    N/A
    Yeah, looks like a giant carp.

7. jwhit88

jwhit88 Newbie

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    14' Kayak
    Howd you have it cooked? They are excellent eating on the half shell. Id compare them to calico bass in california taste and texture wise.

8. jwhit88

jwhit88 Newbie

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    14' Kayak
    We use a big pier drop net. If you watch the video you can see how we land them

9. jwhit88

jwhit88 Newbie

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    14' Kayak
    Really good eating, similar to calico bass texture and taste

10. esgeo

esgeo Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Eric
    Boat:
    nope
    Slot limit redfish are delicious. Big old bulls are another story. I’ve eaten two bull reds in my life. One from Dixey Bar (saltwater) that was kind of like eating a really gamely piece of mako or swordfish. It was probably a 38” fish. The other one was caught by the jetty in Galveston Bay. It was a 40”+ fish. I did everything to bleed, get rid of bloodline, kept iced etc... took it to my friends house, marinated it in Italian dressing, put it on the grill. It tasted like and had the texture of an over cooked chicken that was the oldest chicken that had ever lived. Stringy, mealy, and rubbery are the words I would use to describe the experience of choking it down.

I’ve never eaten calico bass, but I’d imagine they taste like younger redfish, not big ole nasty scaly bull reds.

For the record, I’ll happily eat bonito and even barrilete if I can take care of it and prepare it right, but I draw the line here... but I do want to try jack crevalle one day if anyone has any suggestions of how to best prepare/cook...

jwhit88 likes this.
  11. strackle99

strackle99 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Todd
    Boat:
    The one on the fish
    Fried, smaller redfish are delicious.

I don't know about the bigger fellas

12. makairaa

makairaa I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Philip Hunkins
    Boat:
    17 starcraft
    The only way I have heard of crevalles being edible is as ceviche.

esgeo likes this.
  13. jwhit88

jwhit88 Newbie

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    14' Kayak
    Ive eaten bull red twice as well a 36" and 39". Normally we release everyone but unfortuneatly the fish my buddy caught were not gonna live because they ate the hook. My buddy prepared them and it was excellent eating. People wouldnt poach the hell out of the bullreds if they were that terrible. We called the game warden 3 times on monday because it was so bad on the fishing pier here. But the one thing i did hear is the bulls will tend to have parasites and worms, nothin in the 2 bulls we kept.

14. Caseman

Caseman Newbie

Name:
    Caseman
    Boat:
    yes

Fillet, bbq w/butter and onions in foil. Breaded(panko) and fried w/light lemon pepper in panko. If baked, also butter and onions, cracked pepper on top and cover with foil so it doesn't dry out. I grew up fishing guam and most of the other jacks do taste better if you ask me, even the horseye jack...but if you make sure you bleed right away from gills and slice the tail and avoid the skinny ones should be ok.

esgeo and sealskinner like this.
  15. hagridfish

hagridfish Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    None
    I used to really enjoy fishing for reds with my dad out of Venice, and down at South Pass. Fond memories. I've always thought they were delicious! Used to skin and filet them, cut out any blood line or bruised areas, roll them in yellow mustard( the only time I'd ever use yellow mustard) dredge in lemon flavored corn flour (Zatarains fish fry), and fry till done. Some of the best eating there is!

16. swami 805

swami 805 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    sunk it
    A chef, Paul Purdome, started a whole craze with blackened redfish that was a thing for many years, took off like wildfire I think in the 80's. It was so popular it led to the demise of red drum stocks and that's why there's all the regulations for them now. I guess they group up to spawn and are easy pickings with a spotter plane and a net boat. Pretty sure you can still find his seasoning mix for blackened fish in the store.Pretty damm good stuff and it works with a lot of fish.

Pete1979 and makairaa like this.
  17. makairaa

makairaa I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Philip Hunkins
    Boat:
    17 starcraft
    Redfish magic works great with rockfish.

Pete1979 likes this.
  18. Paparockcal

Paparockcal Old Dude

Name:
    Rocky Latham
    Boat:
    N/A Now But I had a 21ft Gulf Coast when I lived on the mainland near Galveston, Texas
    Unfortunately there were a lot of poachers in Texas when I lived there. Even the guys fishing out of my boat griped about not keeping oversized fish past the one they had a tag for. I personally never keept "bulls" as they are the big female breeders that help keep the Redfishing so good and their flesh tends to be "wormy" anyway. If people want to eat Reds keep the smaller ones as they are better eating and let the big females lay their eggs. I finally got so disgusted I stopped taking anyone but family during the "Bull" runs. There are far to few Texas Game wardens for the territory they have to cover. Texas needs to hire MORE! I was never nervous to see a Game Wraden at the dock when I came in because I have always been happy to obey the limits by number and size unlike some people I knew. They are trying to keep the fishing good for us all by enforcing the limits so I have no problem helping them do that. Some people especially along the Jetties and the Texas City Dike would catch a limit and take it to their vehicle to an ice chest and then go back to fishing. If everyone did that the fishing would soon be bad for everyone.

ol' salt and makairaa like this.
  19. popeyeiv

popeyeiv Newbie

Name:
    Popeye
    Boat:
    Sailfish 266
    Debone and remove skin on fillets. Cut out blood line and dark spots. Place fillets in a 1 gallon zip-lock bag and fill with 1 qt of butter milk in the fridge over night. Remove fillets from buttermilk and lay on a sheet of heavy-duty tin foil. Preheat grill to 350. Prepare a mixure of melted butter, garlic, and chives (I like to use the "finishing butter" normally used for steaks). Baste the fillets and place on grill. Cook for 15 minutes and re-baste every 5 minutes with finishing butter. Remove fillets and tin-foil from the grill and carefully serrate the fillets from the foil. Toss the fillets in the trash and eat the tin-foil.... :-)

Get’n Jiggy and esgeo like this.
  20. willytime

willytime Newbie

Name:
    Willy Baxendelll
    Boat:
    Chronic
    Nice one joe
    Give me a shout when you’re back in town
    Willy

jwhit88 likes this.