Galveston Poaching Pier Report

jwhit88

Jun 14, 2008
Orange County
Name
Joe
Boat
14' Kayak
Went out to the pier on 91st street in Galveston and could not believe how many people were not tagging and poaching multiple bull reds. We called the game wardens a few times and so did a few other people but they never showed up.

The reds were running and we landed some nice fish. Here is the video
And a photo of me with a goofy smile.
Jimmys 39.jpg

stella marina

Well-Known "Member"
Nov 21, 2011
santa cruz
Name
Andrew
Boat
Parker 2320, 16 Klamath cc, 10 ft Livingston "bass slayer"
Reds are delicious, but I'm sure the smaller slot sized fish are best, just like striper.
Brought some back from Florida, I was surprised how good it was.
Nice catch!
Some of the best fighting fish!

Reactions: jwhit88

esgeo

Well-Known "Member"
Feb 12, 2015
Tulsa, OK
Name
Eric
Boat
Feelfree Lure 11.5
Howd you have it cooked? They are excellent eating on the half shell. Id compare them to calico bass in california taste and texture wise.
Slot limit redfish are delicious. Big old bulls are another story. I’ve eaten two bull reds in my life. One from Dixey Bar (saltwater) that was kind of like eating a really gamely piece of mako or swordfish. It was probably a 38” fish. The other one was caught by the jetty in Galveston Bay. It was a 40”+ fish. I did everything to bleed, get rid of bloodline, kept iced etc... took it to my friends house, marinated it in Italian dressing, put it on the grill. It tasted like and had the texture of an over cooked chicken that was the oldest chicken that had ever lived. Stringy, mealy, and rubbery are the words I would use to describe the experience of choking it down.

I’ve never eaten calico bass, but I’d imagine they taste like younger redfish, not big ole nasty scaly bull reds.

For the record, I’ll happily eat bonito and even barrilete if I can take care of it and prepare it right, but I draw the line here... but I do want to try jack crevalle one day if anyone has any suggestions of how to best prepare/cook...

Reactions: jwhit88

strackle99

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 20, 2008
Villa Lepro, Baja
Name
Todd
Boat
The one on the fish
Fried, smaller redfish are delicious.

I don't know about the bigger fellas

makairaa

May 1, 2005
Tustin CA
Name
Philip Hunkins
Boat
17 starcraft
Slot limit redfish are delicious. Big old bulls are another story. I’ve eaten two bull reds in my life. One from Dixey Bar (saltwater) that was kind of like eating a really gamely piece of mako or swordfish. It was probably a 38” fish. The other one was caught by the jetty in Galveston Bay. It was a 40”+ fish. I did everything to bleed, get rid of bloodline, kept iced etc... took it to my friends house, marinated it in Italian dressing, put it on the grill. It tasted like and had the texture of an over cooked chicken that was the oldest chicken that had ever lived. Stringy, mealy, and rubbery are the words I would use to describe the experience of choking it down.

I’ve never eaten calico bass, but I’d imagine they taste like younger redfish, not big ole nasty scaly bull reds.

For the record, I’ll happily eat bonito and even barrilete if I can take care of it and prepare it right, but I draw the line here... but I do want to try jack crevalle one day if anyone has any suggestions of how to best prepare/cook...
The only way I have heard of crevalles being edible is as ceviche.

Reactions: esgeo

jwhit88

Jun 14, 2008
Orange County
Name
Joe
Boat
14' Kayak

Ive eaten bull red twice as well a 36" and 39". Normally we release everyone but unfortuneatly the fish my buddy caught were not gonna live because they ate the hook. My buddy prepared them and it was excellent eating. People wouldnt poach the hell out of the bullreds if they were that terrible. We called the game warden 3 times on monday because it was so bad on the fishing pier here. But the one thing i did hear is the bulls will tend to have parasites and worms, nothin in the 2 bulls we kept.

Caseman

Aug 21, 2016
Texas
Name
Caseman
Boat
yes

Fillet, bbq w/butter and onions in foil. Breaded(panko) and fried w/light lemon pepper in panko. If baked, also butter and onions, cracked pepper on top and cover with foil so it doesn't dry out. I grew up fishing guam and most of the other jacks do taste better if you ask me, even the horseye jack...but if you make sure you bleed right away from gills and slice the tail and avoid the skinny ones should be ok.

hagridfish

Oct 21, 2008
Aurora Colorado
Name
Kevin
Boat
None
I used to really enjoy fishing for reds with my dad out of Venice, and down at South Pass. Fond memories. I've always thought they were delicious! Used to skin and filet them, cut out any blood line or bruised areas, roll them in yellow mustard( the only time I'd ever use yellow mustard) dredge in lemon flavored corn flour (Zatarains fish fry), and fry till done. Some of the best eating there is!

swami 805

Mar 9, 2016
Name
Bill
Boat
sunk it
A chef, Paul Purdome, started a whole craze with blackened redfish that was a thing for many years, took off like wildfire I think in the 80's. It was so popular it led to the demise of red drum stocks and that's why there's all the regulations for them now. I guess they group up to spawn and are easy pickings with a spotter plane and a net boat. Pretty sure you can still find his seasoning mix for blackened fish in the store.Pretty damm good stuff and it works with a lot of fish.

makairaa

May 1, 2005
Tustin CA
Name
Philip Hunkins
Boat
17 starcraft
A chef, Paul Purdome, started a whole craze with blackened redfish that was a thing for many years, took off like wildfire I think in the 80's. It was so popular it led to the demise of red drum stocks and that's why there's all the regulations for them now. I guess they group up to spawn and are easy pickings with a spotter plane and a net boat. Pretty sure you can still find his seasoning mix for blackened fish in the store.Pretty damm good stuff and it works with a lot of fish.
Redfish magic works great with rockfish.

Reactions: Pete1979

Paparockcal

Old Dude
May 22, 2016
Whites Canyon Rd., Canyon Country
Name
Rocky Latham
Boat
N/A Now But I had a 21ft Gulf Coast when I lived on the mainland near Galveston, Texas
Unfortunately there were a lot of poachers in Texas when I lived there. Even the guys fishing out of my boat griped about not keeping oversized fish past the one they had a tag for. I personally never keept "bulls" as they are the big female breeders that help keep the Redfishing so good and their flesh tends to be "wormy" anyway. If people want to eat Reds keep the smaller ones as they are better eating and let the big females lay their eggs. I finally got so disgusted I stopped taking anyone but family during the "Bull" runs. There are far to few Texas Game wardens for the territory they have to cover. Texas needs to hire MORE! I was never nervous to see a Game Wraden at the dock when I came in because I have always been happy to obey the limits by number and size unlike some people I knew. They are trying to keep the fishing good for us all by enforcing the limits so I have no problem helping them do that. Some people especially along the Jetties and the Texas City Dike would catch a limit and take it to their vehicle to an ice chest and then go back to fishing. If everyone did that the fishing would soon be bad for everyone.

popeyeiv

Nov 20, 2017
Freeport TX
Name
Popeye
Boat
Sailfish 266
but I do want to try jack crevalle one day if anyone has any suggestions of how to best prepare/cook...
Debone and remove skin on fillets. Cut out blood line and dark spots. Place fillets in a 1 gallon zip-lock bag and fill with 1 qt of butter milk in the fridge over night. Remove fillets from buttermilk and lay on a sheet of heavy-duty tin foil. Preheat grill to 350. Prepare a mixure of melted butter, garlic, and chives (I like to use the "finishing butter" normally used for steaks). Baste the fillets and place on grill. Cook for 15 minutes and re-baste every 5 minutes with finishing butter. Remove fillets and tin-foil from the grill and carefully serrate the fillets from the foil. Toss the fillets in the trash and eat the tin-foil.... :-)

hagridfish

Oct 21, 2008
Aurora Colorado
Name
Kevin
Boat
None
Used to fish for reds with my dad out of Venice(south pass) and Grand Isle La. best prep I liked was fillet and skin with care. Leave no red or skin on the fillets. Roll the fillets in Frenches yellow mustard (this is the only thing I use yellow mustard for!) and then roll them in corn flour. I like to add either lemon pepper, or dry lemon seasoning to the corn flour. Deep fry the fillets to your liking. Some of the best eating there is!