Gaffing stingrays to be released

AirAndSea

Apr 23, 2019
Ventura Ca
Name
Chris G
Boat
17’ Outrage
What is the safest way to remove a hook from a ray without the risk of getting stung? When I’ve caught them I usually just cut the line as close to the hook as possible.

Upvote 0

Omarkayak

I've posted enough I should know better...
Jul 26, 2007
Northridge, CA
Name
Donald W. Clarke III
Boat
11+ ft, Ocean Kayak Scrambler, P 'N' Queue Pod
Juvenile GWs think batrays are tres yummy. And stingers in the roof of their mouths to prove it.

Shame to gaff anything you plan to release.

Good fishin’!
BDC OK

Upvote 0

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
  • Nov 29, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Carl
    Boat
    everyone elses
    What is the safest way to remove a hook from a ray without the risk of getting stung? When I’ve caught them I usually just cut the line as close to the hook as possible.
    Lay them on their back and do what's necessary to avoid spines.
    If I'm barefoot surf fishing drag em up on the sand and flip them. Keep feet and hands at nose end. Pin em down with left hand and remove hook with right or cut line if that's better for the fish.

On a boat with bigger model bat Ray's sometimes you have to use the gaff to flip them over so you can dig the treble out of their mouth if you pinned squid on a jig.
    If it's a bait hook usually its a line snip.

I've released hundreds of Ray's and would guess I've killed zero to 5.

The safest thing to do for me would be to cut the line and sacrifice the jig. I dont think I've ever done that in spite of my strong desire to not be an hour or more from the dock at 2a.m.
    Stung by a ray.
    But, I'm not gonna let it suffocate by a hook closing it up. That's certain death and a pussy move imo not trying to give it the chance to survive.

Ain't no way you are getting a bigger model bat ray in and out of a net safely and my clique tends to have big nets on board.
    If it's small enough a ray and I think I can pull it off sure.

If on occasion my best efforts have resulted in a dead ray it did it's part in the food chain as nature intended.
    It will be eaten instead of another creature that day by whatever it feeds.

Ps... I have had a moment or two in the middle of the night after a series of unwanted bat ray catches where I wished immediate death on all rays...
    But I am done night fishing, so even if I had that power there will still be a gazillion of them long after I feed the worms

Last edited:

AirAndSea

Apr 23, 2019
    Ventura Ca
    Name
    Chris G
    Boat
    17’ Outrage
    Lay them on their back and do what's necessary to avoid spines.
    If I'm barefoot surf fishing drag em up on the sand and flip them. Keep feet and hands at nose end. Pin em down with left hand and remove hook with right or cut line if that's better for the fish.

On a boat with bigger model bat Ray's sometimes you have to use the gaff to flip them over so you can dig the treble out of their mouth if you pinned squid on a jig.
    If it's a bait hook usually its a line snip.

I've released hundreds of Ray's and would guess I've killed zero to 5.

The safest thing to do for me would be to cut the line and sacrifice the jig. I dont think I've ever done that in spite of my strong desire to not be an hour or more from the dock at 2a.m.
    Stung by a ray.
    But, I'm not gonna let it suffocate by a hook closing it up. That's certain death and a pussy move imo not trying to give it the chance to survive.

Ain't no way you are getting a bigger model bat ray in and out of a net safely and my clique tends to have big nets on board.
    If it's small enough a ray and I think I can pull it off sure.

If on occasion my best efforts have resulted in a dead ray it did it's part in the food chain as nature intended.
    It will be eaten instead of another creature that day by whatever it feeds.

Ps... I have had a moment or two in the middle of the night after a series of unwanted bat ray catches where I wished immediate death on all rays...
    But I am done night fishing, so even if I had that power they'll still be a gazillion of them long after I feed the worms
    Great reply, thanks for the thorough info!

Carl
    Carl
    You're welcome.
    You can thank me by downvoting sealskinner when you come across his posts.
    At breakfast the other morning he told me he is closing in on the coveted upside down spinning reel award.

Btw that cheap fuck stiffed the waitress and she was awesome.
    Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Dec 11, 2003
    Name
    Boat
    Some of my most memorable battles have been with batrays

No, Tourist legand. The wings do not taste like scallops. But they are edible and can be sold when it comes time to feed the family or road side ceviche. Sea or Cortez

Upvote 0

marlyn

• Dec 18, 2005
    So Cal
    Name
    mark
    Boat
    21' skiff and 12' portabote recycled from milk jugs
    Batray lives matter!
    (Screw those seals though..)
    1623706863806.png

Reactions: Chucker o’ Jigs
    Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
    Name
    Boat
    Well definitely first try and gaff the treble hook. Like releasing a good fish on a party boat hooked on a jig

Ever been on a sea of cortez midriff island. To find hundreds of juveniles winged out. On the beach. No pride in it

So cool. In the summer here in the tropics. For a few days. We get huge schools over 100 strong. High and dry on the surface. Just past the waves. Breeding flapping their wings out of water. And aerial flopping. I just googled it. Can't find a photo. Will take some next February or so

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
    Name
    Boat
    For practice gaffing. Use a orange in the water. Newbs have been known to do that for improvement. From the bow

Upvote 0

dsl

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    Well definitely first try and gaff the treble hook. Like releasing a good fish on a party boat hooked on a jig
    👌

Upvote 0

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
  • Nov 29, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Carl
    Boat
    everyone elses

Ever been on a sea of cortez midriff island. To find hundreds of juveniles winged out. On the beach. No pride in it

So cool. In the summer here in the tropics. For a few days. We get huge schools over 100 strong. High and dry on the surface. Just past the waves. Breeding flapping their wings out of water. And aerial flopping. I just googled it. Can't find a photo. Will take some next February or so
    I've seen that behavior at a particular beach near Pt. Loma. Pretty cool. Saw three real sharks one day there too.
    I wanted to stay dry after that
    But I fished too long the tide came up and I had to swim a stretch around a point with my rod to get back to my truck... pucker factor maximum

Reactions: One_Leg
    Upvote 0