Drew Stephens

Almost A Member
Dec 6, 2017
Ventura, CA
Name
Drew Stephens
Boat
Sunbird Neptune 230
Not sure how to post an iPhone video here. This boat was fishing Anacapa next to us and caught two rays. Gaffed both of them and threw them on the swim step to unhook them then released them. I’ve got a video of the stingray flapping on the swim step with the gaff in it. I can’t imagine this is common practice.
B2A6CCD4-875E-4DEF-9B96-FA185CDA7D4D.jpeg

Done_Deal
Done_Deal
50+ years ago it was common practice on Venice pier to use a large grapnel to land bat rays and it was custom to carve a "V" for Venice in one of the wings. I saw many bat rays with V scars caught off that pier.
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

sealskinner

Retired Pimp
  • Apr 24, 2005
    in the Hood
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Franks ho
    Not sure how to post an iPhone video here. This boat was fishing Anacapa next to us and caught two rays. Gaffed both of them and threw them on the swim step to unhook them then released them. I’ve got a video of the stingray flapping on the swim step with the gaff in it. I can’t imagine this is common practice.
    View attachment 1289389
    Look at that boat. Their entitlement is strong.

Chango3

Jul 18, 2020
    Santa Barbara
    Name
    Colten
    Boat
    Surfboard
    Some say that gaff in the wing seals up and heals. I don’t buy it, they are pretty easy to unhook while still in the water aswell.

Upvote 0

michael e. bingham

I Should Upgrade My Account
    May 26, 2015
    Name
    Pura Vida
    Boat
    Pura Vida 30' Custom Panga
    Plain Stupidly for sure , apparently they are afraid to get too close to the ray nothing Suprises me anymore

Upvote 0

RodRage

Share the stoke!
  • Sep 7, 2017
    Surf City Ca.
    Name
    Huntington Hillbilly
    Boat
    Chaparral 224 Fisherman
    That’s just wrong, you can buy a boat and fishing license but not a soul on board has a clue....

Upvote 0

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
  • Nov 29, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Carl
    Boat
    everyone elses
    I've done it many times.
    How else do you get them into a position to get a 6x jr out of their mouth?

If it's a bait hook yah clip the line by it's lips or wherever you can get to.

wils

lazy-ass well known "member"
    May 31, 2003
    not a spoiled bitch from san diego
    Name
    bill
    Boat
    I hate boats
    Since they were on the anchor and the seas were flat calm, why didnt you just go over there and ask them why they were gaffing the batrays (not stingrays)? You could have gotten some actual on the water information from folk who have been fishing for many years if not decades.
    not to change the subject, but have you ever fished with live squid?

Last edited:

walter heim

Feb 20, 2021
    San Diego
    Name
    walter heim
    Boat
    Bayrunner
    We have a hook remover that we use for shark. It is simply a stainless snap welded to a stainless rod. The rod is welded perpendicular to the snap at the base of the snap. The rod is then inserted inside an aluminum tube and epoxied. When you attempt to dehook a shark (or ray), snap around the leader and slide it down to the hook. When the hook is engaged, one quick push and they are off. If the hook is deep, just cut the leader.

wils
    wils
    Since most CI batrays are caught on jigs being used by folk who think that CI WSB will take a jig, will your hook remover work on a treble hook that has been swallowed by a batray?
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
  • Nov 29, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Carl
    Boat
    everyone elses
    Gee guys, thanks for all the great advice!
    It never occurred to myself or the other guys that actually do this kind of fishing to use a net or dehooker.

Reactions: tommysdad
    Upvote 0

Blackfish

Marble collector.
    Sep 20, 2005
    My Backyard
    Name
    Boat
    toy
    No one cries when anglers
    pick them up by their eye sockets to pose for pic.

Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    whichever has the longest bunk
    Just in case you didn't know, there are some people who eat bat ray wings. Skin and punch out scallop-shaped pieces, cook like scallops. Like a whole bunch of other so-called "trash" fish that people catch while fishing for other things, they are not appreciated by the average SoCal angler.

It goes back to how a person is raised. The person who taught you to fish or hunt also taught you to respect the other life forms that we share the planet with, or not. And those early lessons are very hard to unlearn.

Upvote 0

dsl

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    The person who taught you to fish or hunt also taught you to respect the other life forms that we share the planet with, or not. And those early lessons are very hard to unlearn.
    👍 Dad taught us the above.

Reactions: surfgoose
    Upvote 0
    May 8, 2020
    Point Loma
    Name
    Troy
    Boat
    Fun Ones
    Since they were on the anchor and the seas were flat calm, why didnt you just go over there and ask them why they were gaffing the batrays (not stingrays)? You could have gotten some actual on the water information from folk who have been fishing for many years if not decades.
    not to change the subject, but have you ever fished with live squid?
    Gotta say I’ve done the 6X and live squid deal with a bat ray and a pelagic ray of all creatures. Plenty of rays inside MB as well with 6/0 hooks and bigger. Never once occurred to me to use a gaff, but just treating a wild animal that’s Ive injured with respect.

Don’t know if anyone should be fishing if they don’t know how to respect the creature at the end of the line if they’re going to release it.

Upvote 0

Yellowtail Dan

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Apr 10, 2006
    Roseville Ca
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    Excel, American Angler
    Just in case you didn't know, there are some people who eat bat ray wings. Skin and punch out scallop-shaped pieces, cook like scallops. Like a whole bunch of other so-called "trash" fish that people catch while fishing for other things, they are not appreciated by the average SoCal angler.

It goes back to how a person is raised. The person who taught you to fish or hunt also taught you to respect the other life forms that we share the planet with, or not. And those early lessons are very hard to unlearn.

I was waiting for someone to post this. One of the best kept secrets of good eats. If people’s actually tried it you’d see more guys fishing them

• Haha
    Reactions: plj46 and surfgoose
    Upvote 0

wils

lazy-ass well known "member"
    May 31, 2003
    not a spoiled bitch from san diego
    Name
    bill
    Boat
    I hate boats
    Gotta say I’ve done the 6X and live squid deal with a bat ray and a pelagic ray of all creatures. Plenty of rays inside MB as well with 6/0 hooks and bigger. Never once occurred to me to use a gaff, but just treating a wild animal that’s Ive injured with respect.

Don’t know if anyone should be fishing if they don’t know how to respect the creature at the end of the line if they’re going to release it.
    Do you treat your live squid with proper respect?

Upvote 0

plj46

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jan 7, 2008
    Socal
    Name
    john
    Boat
    24 ft grady white
    I was waiting for someone to post this. One of the best kept secrets of good eats. If people’s actually tried it you’d see more guys fishing them
    Bat Ray wings do not taste like Scallops.Not even close.

Upvote 0