slydawg

Always wishin' I was fishin'
Jul 14, 2004
Alta Loma/Huntington
Name
Billy
Boat
WWW - 25’ Proline
Ok, who was it that was gaffed in the leg at SCI? Overheard the panic call while fishing behind Cat Saturday?

Shewillbemine

"should of" is NOT a thing
Oct 19, 2012
California
Name
Shewillbemine
Boat
Chips N Guac
Yikes.

I am so paranoid about something like this when gaffing a large fish and so many bodies are around.

What's the recommended procedure? If the gaff is still in the flesh, remove or keep it in?

If it's out, what do you do? Just apply pressure and gauze?

Reactions: slydawg

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
Fishing 80 lb. Dacron?

slydawg

Always wishin' I was fishin'
Jul 14, 2004
Alta Loma/Huntington
Name
Billy
Boat
WWW - 25’ Proline
Pull the gaff out and hold pressure. The biggest mistake people make is putting too much gauze on the wound so it displaces the direct pressure on the bleeder. Better off with a small amount of gauze and pinpoint pressure with finger tips. Do not remove the initially gauze, as it will rip the clots off.

marlyn

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Dec 18, 2005
oak hills
Name
mark
Boat
21' skiff and 12' portabote recycled from milk jugs
Avalon tuna club members use dacron fishing for button fish.

Reactions: Noah & Scoot

InDeepShip

Nov 5, 2017
SD
Name
Adam
Boat
N/A
Pull the gaff out and hold pressure. The biggest mistake people make is putting too much gauze on the wound so it displaces the direct pressure on the bleeder. Better off with a small amount of gauze and pinpoint pressure with finger tips. Do not remove the initially gauze, as it will rip the clots off.
Correct me if im wrong but if there is nothing else connected to the gaff(AKA the fish is still on it) shouldn't you leave the gaff in and go straight to the hospital. Im by no means a medical professional but I have taken a lot of classes and they always say if you get stabbed by something to leave it in and do your best to bandage around it and apply pressure

flytie

Oct 20, 2012
Orange, CA USA
Name
GC
Boat
Out of Office - Custom Invader CC
I think the key take away that everyone is missing is that if Stevie Wonder is on your boat when tuna fishing, he doesn't get a turn on the stick with the pointy hook.

Tedward2020

Autistic fisherman
Apr 5, 2020
Greensboro North Carolina
Name
Ted Allegranza
Boat
None
Haha slipped on sharp rock while fishing had to get 12 stitches inside and out of my leg went straight to bone..... I know how that guy feels... part of my shin bone stick out a little.. still fished for another hour or so tho lol

A8617249-33F0-43C0-86AA-661797311D10.jpeg

lougio

Capt Lou
Jul 19, 2014
La Mesa, CA
Name
Lou
Boat
'03 Parker 2520 Louie-Lui II
Correct me if im wrong but if there is nothing else connected to the gaff(AKA the fish is still on it) shouldn't you leave the gaff in and go straight to the hospital. Im by no means a medical professional but I have taken a lot of classes and they always say if you get stabbed by something to leave it in and do your best to bandage around it and apply pressure
Kinda tricky one. There is a pretty large artery that runs behind the knee. Key is to be ready with medical supplies when/if you pull the gaff. Leaving the gaff in can cause more trauma. If you see oozing dark red blood its a vein but if you see bright red blood pumping from the wound its an artery. Best to call for help on the vhf.

heman

Apr 23, 2008
Anaheim, CA
Name
heman
Boat
\___/
Whoa. They initially stated they were behind Catalina, so I fired the boat up as Surgery is my trade, only to hear they were at SCI. My surgeon buddy and myself were ready to jump in there. I was able to offer some advice over the VHF. Glad he is ok.
awesome job being able to talk through some help.

Glad to hear he's ok.
Recently just finished putting together an IFAK/bleed kit with tourniquets, israli bandages, etc... going to order extra quick clot gauze and start carrying my kit along with the tackle bag.

ShadowX

Oct 10, 2010
Los Angeles
Name
Alex
Boat
None
awesome job being able to talk through some help.

Glad to hear he's ok.
Recently just finished putting together an IFAK/bleed kit with tourniquets, israli bandages, etc... going to order extra quick clot gauze and start carrying my kit along with the tackle bag.
Don't forget a small 8" bolt cutter in case you need to cut off a hook.

1596004434193.png

stephen campbell

aka "Soup"
Jul 7, 2016
oro valley az
Name
Stephen Campbell
Boat
S/V Bluechablis Valiant 40
Slydawg Our first sailing trip to Isla Clarion, planning to stay at least a month. No formal dive education but dove for years in the Sea of Cortez. First dive (free) ears would not let me go below 10' or so PAIN. Here we are one of the best dive spots in the world--crap. B got on the HAM radio and asked around. A Vascular Surgeon Doug Brown, later to become cruising friend, replied "just take Sudafed before ya dive. Bingo saved the day.

rodblder

Feb 19, 2004
San Diego
Visit site
Name
Jim
Boat
none at this time
I was on a 7 day trip on a private boat many yrs ago, the morning after we departed, we were trolling for marlin and hooked a big dodo, brought it on deck and the owners 12 yr old son went to it to release the hook from the fish, it was a big ass hook on a marlin lure, and as he bent down to get the hook, the dodo jumped, big surprise right? the hook buried itself in the kids calf. My first thought was wow!!! second thought was we're going home............. however the ownerdad instantly was there to help, he pushed the barb out of the calf, cut the barb off with a small bolt cutter and pulled the hook out. we bandaged up the leg, the kid was fine, and we continued on our journey south. The kid never cried or complained, tuff young man. He's in the late 20's now and runs his dad's construction company!!!!

Reactions: jeffzou and heman

MATTANZA

old man of the sea, in training.
Aug 23, 2004
Cali the state of confusion, the state of shock
Name
RICK
Boat
Boston Whaler 25' Outrage "MATTANZA II", 34' Radovcich "AMY ANNE" {when it needs to be fixed}
almost 40 years ago , i was fishing with my buddy jimbo , in his bayrunner . we were a couple miles off la jolla in a red hot yft bite... gaff your own fish. jimbo pull the gaff , which i was standing over, he yells give me the gaff . i tell him it's right here. he grabs it and it twists as he pulling it. well it gets me in the left calf , and he drops it. he starts yelling give me the gaff! i tell him i can't you stuck it in my leg , dumbshit. he took one look at it , turned white a sheet, and almost fainted. i calmed HIM down , and told him to get a wet rag ready , and pull it out. we got it out , it squirted some blood for a few squrits, we tied the towel around my leg, and fished on. no stiches, no infection, just some pain, and a hang over from the bottle jwb i drank when we got in.

Pacific Jigger

You’ll never know unless you go
Sep 16, 2019
United States
Name
Bud
Boat
Formula 233
I think it’d be safe to say that the moral of these stories is ‘S—t Happens. Be prepared’. As an ex-paramedic and the wife being an RN, on my boat we’re prepared for everything from anaphylaxis to amputation. The other bag contains gear for dealing with rogue megalodons and North Korean submarines. :D
You hope you never need gear for emergencies but when stuff happens, it happens fast, and the proper equipment is priceless when things go south.