G Loomis VS Okuma Shadow Stalker

flasaltangler

Oct 9, 2007
Florida
Name
Fred
Boat
none
I have the opportunity to purchase a new G Loomis HSR 932/7'9" Mag-Hvy Ex-FastAction, 12-24lb 1/4-5oz rod. I had been looking at the Okuma Shadow Stalker rod and was interested in getting one. But since I became aware of this rod I may change my mind. This is a older model G Loomis rod that I was told was manufactured when Gary was running G Loomis before Shimano came in the picture. I hope someone may be able to let me know there experience Pro's & Con's with either of these to rods. I appreciate any information I can receive. I'm going to use it for casting from piers and inlets. Considering Shimano Calcutta 400 Te, Daiwa Luna 300 or Shimano Curado 300 EJ, Okuma Komodo 350 for either of the rods I purchase

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
Oct 18, 2012
San Diego
Name
Tanner
Boat
1997 Proline 23 W/A
The Shadowstalker is a great rod, tons of power and casts a mile. I have no experience with GL but the top 3" of the Shadowstalker are pretty fragile to vertical load and high sticking. I snapped the tip twice on these rods, both blatantly my fault with boat flipping and trying to deal with a fish going nuts on the deck. Wouldn't hesitate to fish yellows/tuna on this rod.

Overall, the Okuma is a fantastic value. I got mine for $90 at the FH show. Good customer service, too.

Upvote 0

Cast Gold

hss AHHHH...hss AHHHH....
Jul 1, 2005
Tustin
Name
Kris
Boat
Mike's
I have a handful of the old Loomis Saltwater Series and some Bucaras. I also have 1 Shadow Stalker. The Shadow Stalker was surprisingly capable when I got bit on a 150# class bluefin and fought it for an hour before the hook opened. I would never have tried that with any of my Loomis rods of the same weight class.

Reactions: 909MARIO
Upvote 0

jowo

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jul 9, 2004
    Woodland Hills
    Name
    Johnny
    Boat
    Sold
    The Loomis hot shot rods have a super soft, whippy tip, which would make it difficult for your purposes. Note by the ex fast action.

Upvote 0

steelfish

Baja Boy..
    Oct 16, 2008
    Calexico, Ca / BAJA,Mexico
    Name
    Alex
    Boat
    dos por favor
    I also have 1 Shadow Stalker. The Shadow Stalker was surprisingly capable when I got bit on a 150# class bluefin and fought it for an hour before the hook opened. I would never have tried that with any of my Loomis rods of the same weight class.

wow, that really talk wonders about the shadow stalker.

I have the 8 XH since few months and havent used it, looks really thin but after reading stories like this one I will take it next time on the water for yellowtail and sierras.

The Shadowstalker is a great rod, tons of power and casts a mile. I have no experience with GL but the top 3" of the Shadowstalker are pretty fragile to vertical load and high sticking. I snapped the tip twice on these rods, both blatantly my fault with boat flipping and trying to deal with a fish going nuts on the deck. Wouldn't hesitate to fish yellows/tuna on this rod.

I ordered mine online and when I got it saw those 3"-5" from the tip very fragile, as I said, havent used mine but I was actually thinking to cut 4" from the tip and making it a 7.6" rod, bit shorter and stronger on the tip.
    still havent convince myself over this, tho.

any thoughts o better just use it and repair if needed?

Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
    Oct 18, 2012
    San Diego
    Name
    Tanner
    Boat
    1997 Proline 23 W/A
    wow, that really talk wonders about the shadow stalker.

I have the 8 XH since few months and havent used it, looks really thin but after reading stories like this one I will take it next time on the water for yellowtail and sierras.

I ordered mine online and when I got it saw those 3"-5" from the tip very fragile, as I said, havent used mine but I was actually thinking to cut 4" from the tip and making it a 7.6" rod, bit shorter and stronger on the tip.
    still havent convince myself over this, tho.

any thoughts o better just use it and repair if needed?
    I have one that is cut down from breaking off 4" and it is actually better for Tady 45's.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Upvote 0