BD STAFF

Fishing Forums, Articles and Reports
Jan 7, 2010
San Diego CA
Name
Advertising
Boat
none
Gfly California Flying Fish are now available at Dana Landing Store in Mission Bay, Island Tackle in Carson, Hills Fuel Dock in Newport, Performance Tackle and Hogan's Bait and Tackle in Dana Point. Limited amounts at times. Go get them before they are sold out!

Up to date shops carrying the flying fish baits. https://www.bdoutdoors.com/california-flying-fish-baits/

Unknown-1.jpeg
Unknown-5.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

slapazz

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Dec 20, 2010
west hills
Name
mike
Boat
17' sportcraft
Local Asian shop in the valley was charging 20.00 a piece last year. Pretty good quality though

Reactions: Capt Devo

SouthBayKiller

Mar 27, 2003
Long Beach, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
none
I believe it cost about $250 for a case(24 packs in a case and 3-5 fish per pack) from fishermenscenter back east. Thats with shipping in a cooler. Might want to get a couple of groups together and put an order in.
I’m not sure if it matters, but these above ones are local caught, not shipped in from the east coast. They are significantly bigger, at least the ones I’ve seen, than the 3 pack east coast ones. $30 a pop sounds crazy high, but if you are fishing for one bite it’s not much in the scheme of things.

When they were impossible to get they were flying off the shelves in SD for much more per piece and still out of stock.

Curious to see if the big tuna get back on these or if that was a one time thing like the foamer popper fishing seemed to be a few years ago. These fish are so weird...

gettingbentwithbo

Get Bent!
Mar 7, 2009
Riverside
gettingbentwithbo.com
Name
Bo
Boat
14' Starcraft SF SS
Damn $30 a pop! These damn things were jumping in the boat just before sunrise at Cat.

madrugador

ITS ALL ABOUT THE HUNT
Jul 6, 2004
el cajon
Name
chad
Boat
26 blackman MADRUGADOR II For sale ,13'6 gregor hoopster
Big difference in size ... always nice to have options. I mean spending 2-300 on fuel and going out with all options covered is worth it to me. I'll take them macs and dines .

30129.jpeg

SouthBayKiller

Mar 27, 2003
Long Beach, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
none
Big difference in size ... always nice to have options. I mean spending 2-300 on fuel and going out with all options covered is worth it to me. I'll take them macs and dines .

View attachment 1028184
I’m waiting for one of these people complaining about the price to see how much they spend trying to make one piece...not to mention the time and lack of sleep doing so...

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
Name
Boat
Nice quality and native. Native quality is important

Worth every penny when you need one. Or go catch your own. They are expensive. They are magical heroin bait. Yft blow the fk out of them too

Nice when the moon is small or not out much at night, sets early or rises late. Longer scooping window

1985 grandparents took my brothers and I out to Catalina island for the weekend. Took the flying fish night tour in a panga. We heard the flying fish were running really good (more like flying really good). For some reason I think it was glass bottom or that was maui. It was so gnarly the guide had to turn the lights off. Our boat almost sunk full of flying fish and they were pelting everyone in the head. It was border line scary at age 8 or so

We really didn't sink but the guide turned the lights off. It was full on. Like a fire fight. Our panga had like $100,000 of flyers that flew into the panga. Not a common thing

afraser

Apr 20, 2008
sf, ca
Name
aaron
Boat
NA
So could we safely assume they would sell out of soft plastic replicas as well if they made them? I was trying to talk a manufacturer into making perfect replicas of the California flying fish and selling them for 40 or 50. I bet they would sell a lot. Any thoughts?