Fury 500 and 600: AR bearing strength?

ThunderMudder

Dec 1, 2007
wishing west c
Name
nal
Boat
282 GW Sailfish F225's
What is the force or torque limit of the AR bearing for the 500 and 600's?
I'd prefer AR and dogs, but understand the cost shavings by eliminating dogs and not fishing this reel to extremes and reducing the need for dogs.

Also, how easy are the Fury's to service by a decent tech (myself, i work on all my reels).

Intended use: thinking about picking up a couple 600's and 500's in single speed for PacNW bottom fishing (big ling and halibut). May possibly pull double duty for albacore. Use does include some jigging for bottom fish using heavy jigs. May also try deep deep fishing (650-1000' drops) for Sablefish using 2-5 pounds of lead.

Have had an older Avet JX AR bearing fail on an approx 80-100# YFT at Alijos and learned the value of dogs vs just an AR bearing :o

reel man

Common sense
Dec 31, 2004
Burbank, CA
Name
Jerry
Boat
Spirit of Adventure
What is the force or torque limit of the AR bearing for the 500 and 600's?
I'd prefer AR and dogs, but understand the cost shavings by eliminating dogs and not fishing this reel to extremes and reducing the need for dogs.

Also, how easy are the Fury's to service by a decent tech (myself, i work on all my reels).

Intended use: thinking about picking up a couple 600's and 500's in single speed for PacNW bottom fishing (big ling and halibut). May possibly pull double duty for albacore. Use does include some jigging for bottom fish using heavy jigs. May also try deep deep fishing (650-1000' drops) for Sablefish using 2-5 pounds of lead.

Have had an older Avet JX AR bearing fail on an approx 80-100# YFT at Alijos and learned the value of dogs vs just an AR bearing :o
Anti reverse roller bearings will fail at 6 - 7 lbs. They were intended to eliminate handle back lash, and not much more that that. That's why most reels have anti reverse dogs installed.

AKSalmon

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 15, 2006
Juneau, Alaska
Name
Bill Brown
Boat
Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
No Avet reel has ever had an AR bearing; they have always come with dogs. The very first Avets did have anti-reverse problems but this was soon rectified. If you have an Avet with an anti reverse issue it is almost certainly caused by corrosion.

Mr GreenJeans

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 23, 2006
Irvine
Name
David
Boat
Kayak
The website lists the max drag as 24#. I don't have any of the Fury line so I can't offer any comments on them. However, I do have half a dozen of the Bx2 and DPx2 reels and have had occasion to push the drag up to 20# with no problems. I do my own maintenance and breaking them down and reassembling is pretty standard. I have never had any problems with the AR bearings, but years ago I used to see an occasional complaint about water intrusion causing the AR bearings to fail. In response, Accurate did some design changes and warranty upgrades and I haven't seen any of those complaints in the last 3 or 4 years.

If Reel Man has had the Fury AR bearings fail at 6-7 pounds, that's a pretty damning indictment and would make the reel useless for most or possibly all ocean fishing. Maybe he could expand on that to let people know if there is a problem with the Fury line.

AKSalmon

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 15, 2006
Juneau, Alaska
Name
Bill Brown
Boat
Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
The AR bearings in Accurate reels will get more than 6 or 7 pounds of drag without failure. However, all AR bearings have a problem with potential corrosion. And if your AR bearing does fail, you have a problem with Accurate reels because the AR bearing is press fit. You'll need to send it to the factory for repair.

Mr GreenJeans

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 23, 2006
Irvine
Name
David
Boat
Kayak
The AR bearings in Accurate reels will get more than 6 or 7 pounds of drag without failure. However, all AR bearings have a problem with potential corrosion. And if your AR bearing does fail, you have a problem with Accurate reels because the AR bearing is press fit. You'll need to send it to the factory for repair.
True enough. All AR bearings will fail after salt water intrusion. As best I can tell, the Accurate seals hold up pretty well against the salt water. However, if they should fail, then the reel needs to go to the Corona facility to replace the AR bearings. If it's out of warranty then there would be the flat rate service cost of $35 for a single speed.

wahging

Oct 15, 2004
yorba linda,ca
Name
steve young
Boat
none
Actually the first line of FURYS had only anti rev dogs and the newer ones have anti rev bearings. The new bearings are very reliable so they used thru out their line. If you can find an older FURY, they can replace the handle bushing with a bearing