Furuno 1st Watch Wireless Radar or Garmin GMR18 HD +

Socket985

Jun 6, 2008
Buckley Wa
Name
Mark
Boat
21 ft ThunderJet OB/OS
Looking at going with Furuno 1st watch wireless and an ipad or Garmin Radar. I'm not interested in spending more for better features.

Any preference or personal experience with both is appreciated.

Chtucker

Lowe boat denter
Feb 15, 2012
Sunshine State, AKA NOT.. Kirkland, WA
Name
Howard
Boat
Double Trouble 28' Armstrong
I normally would recommend Furuno.. But if you are that firm, anything critical navigation device that relies upon an iPad is crazy. Not water resistant, locks up at the worst moments.

Garmin in this case..

Reactions: Walker Inc.

Socket985

Jun 6, 2008
Buckley Wa
Name
Mark
Boat
21 ft ThunderJet OB/OS
The Furuno can be used without an ipad, All it takes is buying one of their head units. The wireless works similar to the raymarine radar so I have options and zero concerns.

The life proof case with an Ipad handles the salt water with zero issues. Rock solid reliability.

WaveDancer

Fishing The Pacific Ocean & Puget Sound Since 1969
Aug 26, 2008
Kitsap/Westport, WA
Name
Ken
Boat
Prowling for a Cat
FURUNO has THE BEST after the sale support system in the marine electronics world so if they are putting their name on a system I would trust it 100% not to mention you won't be always having to do software upgrades because of bugs as they proof it out BEFORE they release products, unlike most others.

Garmin certainly isn't a POS company but support after the fact isn't even comparable.

Good luck.

WD

Reactions: [email protected]

liltrouble

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 9, 2012
ShillCreek, WA USA
Name
Shari
Boat
Mr. Buttercup
If you want a radar, wireless is ok.

If you NEED a radar then wireless is not ok.

App writers have to play catch up when manufacturers release new operating software. I have heard of recent stories where the Furuno operating app was disabled because it was unable to integrate updates (mainly for security) on the IOS platform.

I guess I am partial to Garmin, as you all know, but I am a pure fan of software updates. It adds longevity to hardware and expands capabilities. being able to add the GXM54 weather antenna is exciting stuff. There was a big integration add on written for that. the 30M depth water temperatures are exciting features. Charting sea surface height showing where water is welling up is good stuff.

Having two engineers local is good stuff too. Calling up one of the guys from Woodinville or Mukilteo to come out to a boat when something is wonky is nice. Getting a file a week later emailed with a fix is nice. Software updates aren't a bad thing.

Socket985

Jun 6, 2008
Buckley Wa
Name
Mark
Boat
21 ft ThunderJet OB/OS
If you want a radar, wireless is ok.

If you NEED a radar then wireless is not ok.

App writers have to play catch up when manufacturers release new operating software. I have heard of recent stories where the Furuno operating app was disabled because it was unable to integrate updates (mainly for security) on the IOS platform.

I guess I am partial to Garmin, as you all know, but I am a pure fan of software updates. It adds longevity to hardware and expands capabilities. being able to add the GXM54 weather antenna is exciting stuff. There was a big integration add on written for that. the 30M depth water temperatures are exciting features. Charting sea surface height showing where water is welling up is good stuff.

Having two engineers local is good stuff too. Calling up one of the guys from Woodinville or Mukilteo to come out to a boat when something is wonky is nice. Getting a file a week later emailed with a fix is nice. Software updates aren't a bad thing.

Garmin software updates is far from easy. My Garmin unit locks up atleast once per trip, where I have to pull the power cord. There tech support is very good, however no update has fixed the freezing issue yet.

The Raymarine (axiom) wifi updates using my phone as the hot spot easily has that beat over Garmin hands down.

Chtucker

Lowe boat denter
Feb 15, 2012
Sunshine State, AKA NOT.. Kirkland, WA
Name
Howard
Boat
Double Trouble 28' Armstrong
So let me get this straight-
Garmin Radar or Furuno wireless- If the iPad becomes unreliable then you would buy a Furuno plotter...You don't like Garmin because of the updates.

Are you shopping for price only, reliability, or features..

Furuno 1815 standalone radar- Reliable, not too expensive, and has some great features. Less than an iPad and the Furuno wireless radar.

WaveDancer

Aug 26, 2008
Kitsap/Westport, WA
Name
Ken
Boat
Prowling for a Cat
I haven't actually looked into it but I bet the FURUNO system he is talking about may actually come with a wired head unit but has an included wireless functionality built into it.

Anyone know for sure one way or another?

WD

WaveDancer

Aug 26, 2008
Kitsap/Westport, WA
Name
Ken
Boat
Prowling for a Cat
I just looked into this a bit and what they are doing is a hard wired raydome like always going to a "black box" per say for the wireless functionality and yes a hard wired head unit can simply plug into it just like any previous FURUNO NavNet systems have worked.

The system does come with a touch pad device that has 100% wireless freedom but I bet you would be hard pressed to find an install of one of these systems that didn't include a networked hard wired head unit somewhere on the boat as it's cost would be pretty obscure to someone spending the money for a FURUNO system.

Looks pretty cool and I would bet good money the touch pad they are using is pretty durable but the minute a piece of equipment like that becomes non fixed on a boat bouncing around in the ocean your going to hear ugly stories of the thing getting dropped onto the deck or worse yet overboard.

Edit correction. This system does employ a wireless raydome unit, it only is connected by wiring for power, the optional head unit option must ordered separately and it appears wireless itself.

WD

Last edited:

Socket985

Jun 6, 2008
Buckley Wa
Name
Mark
Boat
21 ft ThunderJet OB/OS
So let me get this straight-
Garmin Radar or Furuno wireless- If the iPad becomes unreliable then you would buy a Furuno plotter...You don't like Garmin because of the updates.

Are you shopping for price only, reliability, or features..

Furuno 1815 standalone radar- Reliable, not too expensive, and has some great features. Less than an iPad and the Furuno wireless radar.

No, The 1st watch Furuno offers the option to buy a Furuno display if I didn't like the functionality of the ipad. The difficulty of the Garmin updates has nothing to do with the radar, other than I was sharing how Raymarine updates are easier to accomplish

Chasin' Tail

~Jumpers!!~ <*)))><
Aug 10, 2008
Lacey WA
Name
Mike
Boat
17' Thor-Built Sled, 27' NorthRiver OS
Not a radar specific comment, but I used an Ipad as a networked device to my MFD so it could serve as sonar, chartpotter or radar... and the Ipad screen is hard to see & washes out if there is glare of any kind on the screen. not something I'd personally want to rely on if I was needing to see my screen well in a sketchy radar needed situation. my $.02

FishPimpII

Shopping for a boat...
Jul 27, 2009
Seattle, Wa
Name
Jeff Nelson
Boat
Deckhand of "JuiceboxII" And soon to be captain of fishpimpiii
Not a radar specific comment, but I used an Ipad as a networked device to my MFD so it could serve as sonar, chartpotter or radar... and the Ipad screen is hard to see & washes out if there is glare of any kind on the screen. not something I'd personally want to rely on if I was needing to see my screen well in a sketchy radar needed situation. my $.02
Agree that iPad isn’t a great solution but in sketchy radar necessitating situation there shouldnt be much glare.

liltrouble

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 9, 2012
ShillCreek, WA USA
Name
Shari
Boat
Mr. Buttercup
I get on my boat, fire up my electronics and the active captain app buzzes me if there is a Software update. 2 minutes max through my phone.

Walker Inc.

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jun 24, 2013
Gig Harbor, WA
Name
Patrick Walker
Boat
33 ft. Coldwater Walkaround
The Furuno can be used without an ipad, All it takes is buying one of their head units. The wireless works similar to the raymarine radar so I have options and zero concerns.

The life proof case with an Ipad handles the salt water with zero issues. Rock solid reliability.
A couple of things...

You are an idiot for relying on a fucking iPad and a wireless connection to read and use a critical piece of navigational equipment in conditions that truly require it, meaning a foggy bar crossing, a late night return, or an early morning foggy/dark summer Puget sound departure with a 100 other equally stupid people.

2. I install this stuff for a living, and use it. I don’t care if it’s Garmin, Furuno, Raymarine or Navico. Wireless sucks. It will cut out. Especially on top of an aluminum boat. I tested this theory with a Quantum dome on top of my own boat by un-hooking the data cable and testing it. Lost connection multiple times. Not a knock on Raymarine, just facts. Cuts out through an aluminum top. The Furuno will be the same.

I’m not sure why some of you idiots think you can re-invent the wheel to save a buck. By the wired radar for what ever MFD you have and hook it up. Don’t be that guy that I or somebody else has to swerve around because you are digging around for your iPad charging cord or trying to re-pair your radar in reduced visibility conditions.

[email protected]

Well-Known "Member"
May 6, 2004
Newport
Name
Dave
Boat
28 Farallon HOOKED
The iPad or iPhone screen would be fine for a back up but not for the primary screen. I wouldn’t trust wireless.

G-Spot

Captain
Mar 14, 2008
Salem/OR/USA
Name
John
Boat
53’ Hatteras STEEL N TIME
A couple of things...

You are an idiot for relying on a fucking iPad and a wireless connection to read and use a critical piece of navigational equipment in conditions that truly require it, meaning a foggy bar crossing, a late night return, or an early morning foggy/dark summer Puget sound departure with a 100 other equally stupid people.

2. I install this stuff for a living, and use it. I don’t care if it’s Garmin, Furuno, Raymarine or Navico. Wireless sucks. It will cut out. Especially on top of an aluminum boat. I tested this theory with a Quantum dome on top of my own boat by un-hooking the data cable and testing it. Lost connection multiple times. Not a knock on Raymarine, just facts. Cuts out through an aluminum top. The Furuno will be the same.

I’m not sure why some of you idiots think you can re-invent the wheel to save a buck. By the wired radar for what ever MFD you have and hook it up. Don’t be that guy that I or somebody else has to swerve around because you are digging around for your iPad charging cord or trying to re-pair your radar in reduced visibility conditions.
I feel like you’re holding back.... tell us how you really feel! 🙃

flyinverted

Apr 24, 2012
Fullerton, CA
Name
Steve
Boat
Trojan F32
I have and use the Garmin GMR 18 HD+ You're going to need to use a Garmin multifunction display with it. Forget the tablet as the primary display as others have said. Nice toy to have as a 2nd or 3rd device.

Reactions: liltrouble

G-Spot

Captain
Mar 14, 2008
Salem/OR/USA
Name
John
Boat
53’ Hatteras STEEL N TIME
I channeled my inner G-SPOT!
I love it! I only wish I could get away with being as blunt as you! You spent time and earned it before you jumped in..... I jumped in and now have a fan club of haters! If I spoke half as blunt as you the lynch mob comes out! 😂

liltrouble

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 9, 2012
ShillCreek, WA USA
Name
Shari
Boat
Mr. Buttercup
I was referencing the update process for the garmin gps/ff itself.
I update my MFD and all associated peripherals from my phone when new releases come out or i add new stuff to the system. It is the Active Captain app. I also have chips with the same data. when i update costumers plotters i don't want to use my phone for that as it can create havoc. If the customer is there, and usually as part of the post install delivery, i will show them how to set up their phone, register their devices and do updates properly.

Team Sency

Fish!! Or be Fished!!!
Jan 6, 2012
Black Diamond
Name
Chris
Boat
JuiceBox2
Don’t yell at me Pat!!!.......

....And maybe it’s because I have a Clorox Bottle....I have a wireless radar and have had zero connectivity issues.

installed that sucker myself, so could also be my wicked mad Bob Vila skills!

Reactions: [email protected]