Mickeyfin
Jul 18, 2003
santa monica,ca.
Name
Mickeyfin
Boat
no
This post is inspired by Tugboats LR question
I'll start it. Don't remember the year but will guess around 2003 BBD [before BloodyDecks]. Went out on a charter put together by myself and the legendary Dimitri. We called it Tabi Ho. This had something to do with fishing shoes. LOL, don't ask. A few of you were there. Cap't Steve tells us the albacore are 100+ miles offshore. Nothing worthy closer. Problem is we will have only 3-4 hours of fishing b4 having to head home. Everyone was down for it. Made the relaxing trek until we hit the grounds around 830am.
Immediate mayhem. Albacores charged the boat and everyone was hooked up. This went on for a solid 3 hours. Don't recall the final counts but I'm sure it was triple digits. Probably the most insane trip I've ever been on.
Mick

Brad I

Common Sense Isn't Common Enough
Jun 20, 2015
San Fernando Valley
Name
Brad I
Boat
Nope
Aw, Tabi Ho and the Tracer, where two people shared a shelf bunk after they slid into it like pizzas, deckhand Richard studied the trolling rigs like he was decoding the Rosetta Stone and a glove for the foot became the name of a charter.

Totally ridiculous in a good and successful kind of way. :ele:

Reactions: jiggermyster

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    ON a Pacific Star Overnight 1 day, Mike ran 90+ miles to the Dumper by 10am, and we caught over 300 Albacore in 1hr...and on our way back to Seaforth. So many we ran out of tags, couldn't get to the bait tank, throwing bare hooks over for instant hookup.
    Left em biting and called in 5 other boats. EPIC

Reactions: kbray001
    Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    Scott on condor ran down almost 130mi on a 1.5 day and found the GOLDEN PADDY, for full limits of Yellowtail and Dorado for 38.
    With only my 50lb rig left hook ready, HX5/2,Calstar 760L grabbed a big dine and threw off the Port side and KAWHEEE the JP Yellowfin in my Avatar. Crew voted that my new Tunahead Pic LOL LOL

Upvote 0

short-range

Independence
    Jan 3, 2010
    Thousand Oaks
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Independence
    Heck I think I was on half these trips with you guys in this thread lol
    Used to be the drill head southwest trolls in the water at 90 miles run and gun on Albacore jig strikes until you hit the magic school shut down and load the boat with 15-30lb albies then and head home hitting kelps on the way uphill.
    Rock cod freezer specials go 165 south to San Martin hit the rocks for the fat reds maybe some yellows if you were lucky and motor back up the line.
    150 miles of nothing run and gun to Benitos like dave said to hit the kelp bed tucked in the small cove 6 hours limited out and head back up the line.
    How crazy is this that you leave the point and are fishing in 3-5 hours when before you were not even thinking about fishing till after breakfast or the first snack.
    72 hours for 8 hours fishing gotta love it.

Upvote 0

jayyyy

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Oct 7, 2008
    NorCal
    Name
    jay
    Boat
    '04 Sea Pro 220 WA / 225 Honda
    About twenty years ago a 3.5 day fall trip on the Vagabond, fished albacore around 160 mi during the day and went to Guadalupe at night for Yellowtail. Wide open 25-35lb albi and 25-40 lb Yellowtail on giant squid made at the Lupe, great trip.

Upvote 0

Baller

Jig Chucker
    Nov 16, 2010
    La Mesa
    Name
    Bill
    Boat
    American Angler
    San Martin (When we could fish it..) on a 3 day aboard the AA. All surface iron fish for me and my homies..!! Great trip.

Reactions: kbray001
    Upvote 0