Rubberhook2

Local Bluefin
Jan 19, 2007
San Clemente
Name
Tim
Boat
None
I always liked the story about one LR boat taking passengers to the atoll on their only skiff only to roll it in the surf stranding the passengers on the atoll with no way of getting them back to the boat. Super seiner in the area was hailed and they used their helicopter to transport the stranded passengers back to the boat. Did not hear too much about that...

When I went ashore I was dropped off and had to swim ashore. That was not as bad as the trip back to the boat. With 5 big guys in the skiff and Tim Eckstrom driving he had to punch through some large surf so we did not get rolled which caused us to launch off the back of a large wave suspending all of us in mid air until we all came crashing down in the skiff on top of one another. Good way for someone to get seriously hurt a long way from medical help.

I think it was soon thereafter that they stopped taking passengers to the atoll...

Upvote 0

Rubberhook2

Local Bluefin
Jan 19, 2007
San Clemente
Name
Tim
Boat
None
Scanned Photos 080A.jpg
Scanned Photos 081A.jpg
Scanned Photos 083A.jpg
Scanned Photos 084A.jpg
Scanned Photos 085A.jpg
Scanned Photos 078A.jpg
Scanned Photos 077A.jpg
Scanned Photos 072A.jpg
Scanned Photos 074A.jpg
Scanned Photos 076A.jpg

Upvote 0

Holi-e-Mackeral

Holi-e-Mackeral
Jul 10, 2003
Orange County, CA
Visit site
Name
Jeff
Boat
Royal Polaris - sold the boat
For me it's Clipperton been there 6 times.. it can be great or poor... just like any location.. I know that the Royal Polaris has done at least one trip to another location far south of Clipperton.. I just cannot remember the name

jeff.
P4150072.JPG
Sunset at Clipperton.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Dec 11, 2003
Name
Boat
Was really looking forward for a opportunity fishing inshore and going on the island. One of the many reasons that got me to book the trip. The surf was too big on the side that is explored. Seeing a cowfish caught at the Grove so close to shore was radical. Big guy dropped anchor and said he heard 1 big pop on the fish machine. Shortly after a chunk Cowfish came aboard with no chunk line established yet. Then we changed location. Would love to go back when it's all time

152197-1227024522-d6297abf90546bf43af1983170b8bd55.jpg
152199-1227024524-71668cadc43186cb28a57b71fa953761.jpg
152195-1227024327-f9205b40b6b4d8ab143c6d1412a7373c.jpg
113938-1117567793-1ae43061211d3b392f90edd536d74e95.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
Name
Boat
Furthest south. Just before the Panama border on the Pacific

Don't forget to rub in natural non scented zinc. Fishing Pargo off a pinnacle and Jason points out a free swimmer.

Screenshot_20210114_220319.jpg

Upvote 0

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
Several posters have alluded to a far distant past trip to Cocos Island, Costa Rica.
IIRC, the first trip there by an LR boat was aboard the Qualifier 105, though it is possible the RP also went there sometime afterward.

Reactions: Tugboat64
Upvote 0

swami 805

Mar 9, 2016
Name
Bill
Boat
sunk it
I think the old south coast sportfishing did a couple articles about fishing Cocos island. Chuck Garrison went on one of the trips I think. Wished I'd saved those

Upvote 0

caballo del mar

I Should Upgrade My Account
May 4, 2004
San Diego,CA
Name
Doug
Boat
32' Amato cabin
Did a 10-day on the RP that ended up about 90 miles below Cabo before we started working back north. Before departure, we were given the option to go to Hurricane Bank, but it would have to have been a unanimous vote. Only half of us were willing to roll the dice on two-days of fishing with 8 days of travel!
It turned out to be a good move. Fishing wasn’t stellar on the beach, but it was a disaster at the bank. Incredibly rough, and at least one medical emergency on one of the boats that was out there. Someone lost a finger when a door or rail gate came loose and slammed on their hand.
Did you catch anything 90 miles south of Cabo? Was it in open water? I don’t know of any banks down there.

Upvote 0

TOTW

Time On The Water
  • Dec 23, 2005
    San Diego
    Name
    Chris L
    Boat
    Leo's
    Did you catch anything 90 miles south of Cabo? Was it in open water? I don’t know of any banks down there.

The Rooster had found some fish up to 90# on the mammals the day before so we went looking. I can’t even remember if we found any ponies. I think we did, but if we caught anything it wasn’t worth sticking around for.

Reactions: caballo del mar
    Upvote 0
    Apr 29, 2021
    freeport NY
    Name
    Rocco Del Vecchio
    Boat
    ?
    Been to Hurricane Bank over 55+ times. Clarion Island around 60 times. It adds up when you do 6-7 (15-18 days trips every year) Never been to Clipperton atoll but someday dream of going. Leaving Friday on the Excel 16 day heading for Hurricane Bank then in April on the Indy for another 16 day.
    must be nice. what do you do for work hahah you hiring lol. ?? all jokes asides are you local to so cal or do you fly ? If you do fly can you make any recommendations on how to pack, if that makes sense. last time i went i got a buddy pass flew for free with all my gar 6 bags , now delta says i can only bring 3 bags

Soda Pop

Feb 12, 2011
    Fresno, CA
    Name
    David Rouse
    Boat
    Long range fishing
    must be nice. what do you do for work hahah you hiring lol. ?? all jokes asides are you local to so cal or do you fly ? If you do fly can you make any recommendations on how to pack, if that makes sense. last time i went i got a buddy pass flew for free with all my gar 6 bags , now delta says i can only bring 3 bags
    I live in Fresno Ca. So no I don't fly however Mike Morris http://bigfishtransport.com/ has a service that guys I know love. Check him out.

Upvote 0

JohnTFT

Insomniac
    Feb 11, 2007
    The "718"
    Name
    John
    Boat
    A big Steel One
    Fished PV on a 15 day. Incredible move by Justin Fleck. Fishing was insane.

Finished that trip on the lower banks where we put 15 cows on the boat as well.

One of the best trips.

Reactions: Bill W
    Upvote 0

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
    Apr 4, 2003
    Tucson
    Visit site
    Name
    David Tang
    Boat
    Intrepid
    Fished PV on a 15 day. Incredible move by Justin Fleck. Fishing was insane.

Finished that trip on the lower banks where we put 15 cows on the boat as well.

One of the best trips.
    Did the same on the Intrepid 28 cows and one super cow. on a 15 day

Reactions: JohnTFT
    Upvote 0

JamesZ

• Jun 25, 2018
    Montana
    Name
    James Zachary
    Boat
    Kenner 23
    Do any of the boats fish that island anymore?
    Nope.. It's a popular eco tourism spot. And the mexican fleet is still over seining it so. Not sure why we got shit on. I'm positive we gave mexico 100x more money than anyone to fish it. A partner and I talked years ago about porting a boat in mexico so we could fish it. Never happened of course. Just be glad we got to fish it during the peak of long range fishing. Meanwhile. Mexico is draining its waters of all life.

Upvote 0

bluewaterbum

Jul 16, 2012
    Riverside, Ca
    Name
    Kim
    Boat
    none
    New US administration is requiring a negative Covid test to fly to the US from any other Country. To return to the US from another country. A negative Covid test will be required to board a plane to the US. Regardless of citizenship

Not sure how that will work for LR. How to get a negative Covid test upon the seas to return to the US after fishing Mexico?
    If it’s a fly back trip, you stay a couple days in the city you’re flying back from. That way you can be tested.
    If coming back on the boat, well, no test needed since you’re not flying into the United States

Reactions: ZZZZZ
    Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
    Name
    Boat
    385 came on

"It was pretty rad! Video edit will be coming out soon!! It was such a rad fish! Thing never laid down! It stayed upright the entire fight! They tossed my bridled skippy in the water and it took off straight down super fast and just got thumped! Was extra special cause the rod never left my hand got to feel the bite, get right and fight her to the end"

Upvote 0

vegasandre

Aug 20, 2010
    San Diego
    Name
    Andre
    Boat
    Any Boat that I can go on
    RP has a 22/19 Day scheduled for next FEB to "undisclosed location(s)"
    Should be interesting. Looking forward to the Unknown..

Upvote 0